International Stadium Yokohama should be primary venue for a 2020 ‘Japan’ Olympics

I don't think this would ever work. Having a National stadium since the early 50's demonstrated the emergence from poverty to innovation. It was always the plan to renovate the stadium, as it was getting simply too old and was no longer up to code for earthquakes. The problem was that they chose a new design that had no concern about costs, and that problem was not addressed even after the design received criticism early on. In reality, they can't just put a park there. There is no stadium of that caliber within Tokyo, and there is need for one. There are sporting events that need to be hosted in the capital, there are concerts that need large spaces that aren't readily available in a cramped city like Tokyo.

Also it seems like the author is very animositical towards Abe. He stated that this was, " another new low for Japan with the international sporting community". The matter of the fact is that Japan has rejected the common expectation in recent years that design is more important than functionality. Design is more important than legacy. It seems to me that this author has no idea how the price of the stadium can impact the people around it. He even claims that, "Tokyo has squandered a golden opportunity to build some world-class venues that could be utilized for decades to come. I keep recalling the way the international media bashed Russian President Vladimir Putin over the cost for the Sochi Games. The bottom line is that he got all the venues built just like he said he would". This author somehow believes that the 50 billion spent for Sochi was justified because Putin got done what he initially promised. He's looking at the world of stadium construction through a pair of rose colored glasses focused on design and not on legacy nor economical impact.

Even if Yokohama is close to Tokyo, like Baron said, it'll be too far from the Olympic Village and the Rest of the Venues.... The better thing to do is (If it hasn't been demolished yet) to upgrade the Current National Stadium. It still looks great and with a few upgrades till be ready.

And plus, this is Athletics were talking about, I'm sure Japan wouldn't want a very popular and huge event of the Olympics held out of the Main Host.

The planned village is 37kms away. Not ideal but not unforgivable. The drive from Ariake through to Yokohama is pretty much a straight shot along toll roads - quite simply close the roads to traffic and make them exclusive Olympic access routes. There are ample other road and rail options to get around.

It could work. However I doubt they will go with this option. Unless they plan on delaying the new national stadium, build a temporary ceremony venue and stage the athletics in Yokohama.

I doubt they would, like I said, would Tokyo really give up a Huge Olympic Event like Athletics to Yokohama? I would definitely think they'd keep that event in Tokyo.. I hope they get a new National Stadium with a Not-So-Over-Done Design sketched up and built. If that can't happen then they'd have no option but to go with Yokohama...

The Olympics are the only catalyst for the new National Stadium. Does Tokyo really need one? No - the Tokyo Dome, Budokan, Olympic Gymnasium and Saitama Super Arena well and truly satisfy the day to day needs for large scale sport and concert venues. The mega-gigs are staged in Yokohama already.

And yet I fully expect a rather generic yet functioning stadium will be in place in 2020.

The bottom line is that there is a Games ready stadium 30 minutes down the road - lets see if Abe can sell the IOC on it - or even if he wants to.

They are going to build a new national stadium, as that was always the goal regardless of the Olympics (due to the RWC, but that's a mess for them already...). There would be no reason to have demolished the old stadium and just leave it at that, moving the main stadium outside of not only the city, but the prefecture. Of course they're supposed to be national games in a sense, but it's not Japan 2020, it's Tokyo 2020.

Perhaps they should consider forfeiting the 2019 RWC and trade it in for the 2023 one so they can save the embarrassment of having to make the Yokohama stadium the main stadium for the event. The US, and even South Africa, have stadiums readily available to host.

Archived