Canada at the Pan Am Games

Faster

Better late then never.

Just some comparisons to Guadalajara

Badminton 3-1-2 vs. 1-3-2 net 0

Canoe/Kayak 4-2-1 vs. 4-4-2; +3

Cycling 1-1-2 vs 6-1-0; +3 (Lots more events to come)

Diving 0-2-2 vs. 2-5-2; +5

Gymnastics 5-4-4 vs. 3-2-2; -6 (more events but I suspect that it will finish -2 or -3)*

Judo 0-1-5 vs 1-5-2; +2

Rowing 0-3-5 vs 8-1-2; +3

Rugby 1-0-0 vs 2-0-0; +1

Shooting 1-1-0 vs 3-0-1; +2*

Squash 1-2-3 vs. 1-3-2; 0

Swimming 2-1-2 vs. 7-9-7; +18

Synchronized Swimming 2-0-0 vs. 2-0-0; 0

Tennis 0-0-0 vs 1-1-0; +2

Triathlon 0-0-1 vs 0-0-0; -1

Water Polo 0-2-0 vs 0-1-1; 0

Weightlifting 1-0-1 vs. 0-1-1; 0

Wrestling 1-2-4 vs. 3-1-1; -2 (4 more events to come)

*Patricia Bezzoubenko is not going to come close to matching Commonwealth success but 2 or 3 medals in Rhythmic Gymnastics is not unrealistic, as is 3 addition medals in trampoline.

*COC only budgeted for 1 athlete in shooting in Rio, there are now 3 with 4 competition quotas.

Some surprises and disappointments today.

Jay Lyon winning a bronze and Patricia Bezzoubenko climbing back to win a bronze were both surprises.

Canada beat Puerto Rico to get a rematch with the Americans in Baseball.

Canadian women beat Cuba in basketball, face the strong Brazilians in the semis

Top ranked Canadian men in beach volleyball lose to f-ing Mexico, while the women win.

Two loses and a guaranteed bronze in boxing.

Decent results in slalom canoe/kayak, with some good results tomorrow could see a few more Olympic quotas.

Great results in cycling, another gold, and more potential medals to come.

Thankfully Canada has already qualified in Eventing, because we took a pretty serious hit today with losing a rider. Still on track for two medals.

Field Hockey is going swimmingly, just a couple more games to the Olympics ticket is punched.

Trampoline went well, here's hoping for 4 medals tomorrow. Go Rosie!

Two Olympic quotas in women's Modern Pentathlon, but another disappointing 4th for Melanie McCann.

Yea to a sailing medal.

Softball gold.

Swimming results were disappointing today. Still 27 medals compared to 5 last time.

Wrestling went well.

So 122, only 40 medals to go until the COC target is achieved.

Tomorrow

Athletics:

Good potential for medals in the race walks, but ya never know

Silver or Gold for the Canadian Baseball Team

Canadian women play Brazil in a tough semi in basketball

Canadian women in tough against Cuba in beach volleyball

Two Canadian boxers go, a predict both will lose

4 potential medals in Canoe/Kayak Slalom, hopefully an Olympic quota or two

4 potential medals in Track Cycling (1 in men's Kieran, 1 in women's Omnium (can't stand the new format, too much emphasis on the points race), 2 in women's Sprint)

2 potential medals in Equestrian

By some miracle a Canadian is in contention in golf

Maybe a medal in Rhythmic Gymnastics

1 to 4 medals in Trampoline.

Sunfish, Hobie 16 and Snipe could all produce medals.

Maybe a medal in Taekwondo.

This has been, on the whole, a stunning performance by the team so far. Bit disappointed with the men's water polo team not qualifying for Rio but it was always going to be though.

General observations: from watching the Pan-am, the European games and the Commonwealth games I really don't think the ten point system is an improvement over the old system when it comes to eliminating controversial or head-scratching results in boxing. And while I conceptually like the format change for the omnium they really need to reduce the weight of the point race.

I just don't like boxing. I think boxing is absolutely rotten to the core and there is not much you can do about it.

Really disappointed Ben Hayward didn't secure Olympic qualification.

So far today:

Gold and Silver in Men's 20km Racewalk

Silver in C1 Men's Slalom

Bronze in K1 Men's Slalom

Bronze in C1 Women's Slalom

Silver in Individual Eventing

Bronze in Team Eventing (the difference being losing that rider to elimination in cross country)

Bronze in Ribbon Rhythmic Gymnastics

Silver in Open Sunfish Sailing

Canada ends up with one guaranteed* quota in canoe slalom, the womens' K1. By 0.02 second. Canada will qualify in men's C1 if the US qualifies from the worlds (finish in top 10 nations) and in men's K1 if the US and Brazil are both in the top 15 nations.

*still need to show up to worlds or some weird technicality like that.

Canada wins men's baseball gold 7-6 in the tenth inning. Canada was down 6-4 going into the bottom of the tenth and was down 6-5 with one out and runners on first and second before a huge blunder from the team USA pitcher allowed Canada to score two.

• Like 1

Highest finish in the medal race.

Which is not Olympic or World Championship tie-breaking procedure.

As far as I know the procedure at the Olympics or WC would be

CAN ECU

1 1

1 2 <--------------- First difference, highest place wins.

1 2

1 2

3 2

3 3

3 4

3 4

4 4

5 5

7 5

8 7

13 7

So based on actual Olympic Rules it should have been Luke Ramsay

The day went as well as one could expect, couple missed opportunities, few surprises. So in the end it all balanced out. Was hoping for 18 medals, won 20. Still 43 medals ahead of Brazil. So yay!

Tomorrow (well later today)

Canada takes on USA for gold in women's basketball (really wish this was the Olympic Qualifier)

The ladies try to pick up the dudes slack in boxing (1-4 is pathetic) and the other 2 dudes go. 3 lady wins and 2 dude loses coming right up.

I don't expect anything from fencing. Without Beaudry there is little hope in a complete A level field. I think Canada will win 4 to 6 medals in the team events, but at best 1 or 2 in the individual.

Field Hockey, Canada plays Uruguay are our pilgrimage to get beaten by the Chileans in the bronze medal game.

Rhythmic Gymnastics wraps up, if Bezzoubenko can get her sh!t together another medal or two and maybe in the team again.

Quarter-finals of table tennis happen, women should do well, men not so much.

No idea what to make of taekwondo, looks to be a developmental team. Segerie and Michaud are still relatively young and Gonda has jumped ship to Hungary. So...

The day went as well as one could expect, couple missed opportunities, few surprises. So in the end it all balanced out. Was hoping for 18 medals, won 20. Still 43 medals ahead of Brazil. So yay!

Tomorrow (well later today)

Canada takes on USA for gold in women's basketball (really wish this was the Olympic Qualifier)

The ladies try to pick up the dudes slack in boxing (1-4 is pathetic) and the other 2 dudes go. 3 lady wins and 2 dude loses coming right up.

I don't expect anything from fencing. Without Beaudry there is little hope in a complete A level field. I think Canada will win 4 to 6 medals in the team events, but at best 1 or 2 in the individual.

Field Hockey, Canada plays Uruguay are our pilgrimage to get beaten by the Chileans in the bronze medal game.

Rhythmic Gymnastics wraps up, if Bezzoubenko can get her sh!t together another medal or two and maybe in the team again.

Quarter-finals of table tennis happen, women should do well, men not so much.

No idea what to make of taekwondo, looks to be a developmental team. Segerie and Michaud are still relatively young and Gonda has jumped ship to Hungary. So...

This is the A team for taekwondo.

Sergerie is retired since 2014.

Really, shows how bad the team has gotten in 4 years. 3 medals in Guadalajara without Sergerie and Michaud, not much hope for a medal or two this time around.

Well the top ranked Canadian in Sabre beat the top ranked (and 30 ranks higher) Mexican to face the top ranked (50 places higher) American in Sabre today. Shows I follow fencing a bit more closely. Actually very surprised by Gabriella Page's performance, but good on her and hopefully will see her in the Olympics next year. Our fencing team as a whole is more sound then it was going into 2012, the teams are all in the top 8 to 12 in the world.

Bit of a surprise gold for Canada in women's basketball. Kia Nurse carried the team on her back with a very convincing performance.

I'm not sure how strong the USA's team was relative to their A team but I can't imagine they where nearly at full strength.

Bit of a surprise gold for Canada in women's basketball. Kia Nurse carried the team on her back with a very convincing performance.

I'm not sure how strong the USA's team was relative to their A team but I can't imagine they where nearly at full strength.

Not really a surprise at all. I thought Canada were the favorites?

The US Pan-Am team is pretty much a development team for young college players.

Today was an almost perfect day. 8 events, 6 medals.

Gold in women's basketball

Silver in Taekwondo

Silver in Rhythmic Gymnastics

Silver in Fencing

Bronze in Fencing

Bronze Rhythmic Gymnastics

And went 4 for 4 in boxing, guaranteeing 5 medals in boxing.

Now for tomorrow

Athletics starts

Canada has the top ranked women in the 5000m

Top ranked women in the javelin

Second ranked in pole vault

Not a hope in hell in women's triple jump

In with a chance in men's shot put

Top 2 ranked steeplechasers in the men's event

Top ranked women's hammer thrower plus another that could challenge for a medal

And top ranked man in the 10000m without the top ranked Canadian in the field.

Bother George and Holder could challenge for a medal in women's hurdles

So 6 to 10 medals.

Women go for bronze in beach volleyball against the Brazilians. I'll give that to the Brazilians

Final Canadian boxer goes today, can't say I care that much. Yay to another bronze if he wins.

Epee goes today. Canadians should challenge for medals but Epee is the most competitive weapon

Canada plays Trinidad and Tobago in field hockey on the march to second place.

Canada is guaranteed 2 bronzes in table tennis (the Pan Ams give away bronzes like candy). Kinda pathetic to have 4 medals in a 9 deep field.

More Taekwondo, Maybe a medal....

If all goes well 13 to 15ish medals. At least 12 to get to 160.

Not really a surprise at all. I thought Canada were the favorites?

The US Pan-Am team is pretty much a development team for young college players.

It is hard to tell with the Americans at the Pan Ams. It is great prep for Canada to go into Olympic Qualification, whereas the Americans are there already. Plus American depth in basketball is incredible and it wasn't like the Canadian team was a bunch of experienced vets. It was a good game and hopefully both countries do well at the Olympics next year.

Today was an almost perfect day. 8 events, 6 medals.

Gold in women's basketball

Silver in Taekwondo

Silver in Rhythmic Gymnastics

Silver in Fencing

Bronze in Fencing

Bronze Rhythmic Gymnastics

And went 4 for 4 in boxing, guaranteeing 5 medals in boxing.

Now for tomorrow

Athletics starts

Canada has the top ranked women in the 5000m

Top ranked women in the javelin

Second ranked in pole vault

Not a hope in hell in women's triple jump

In with a chance in men's shot put

Top 2 ranked steeplechasers in the men's event

Top ranked women's hammer thrower plus another that could challenge for a medal

And top ranked man in the 10000m without the top ranked Canadian in the field.

Bother George and Holder could challenge for a medal in women's hurdles

So 6 to 10 medals.

Women go for bronze in beach volleyball against the Brazilians. I'll give that to the Brazilians

Final Canadian boxer goes today, can't say I care that much. Yay to another bronze if he wins.

Epee goes today. Canadians should challenge for medals but Epee is the most competitive weapon

Canada plays Trinidad and Tobago in field hockey on the march to second place.

Canada is guaranteed 2 bronzes in table tennis (the Pan Ams give away bronzes like candy). Kinda pathetic to have 4 medals in a 9 deep field.

More Taekwondo, Maybe a medal....

If all goes well 13 to 15ish medals. At least 12 to get to 160.

It is hard to tell with the Americans at the Pan Ams. It is great prep for Canada to go into Olympic Qualification, whereas the Americans are there already. Plus American depth in basketball is incredible and it wasn't like the Canadian team was a bunch of experienced vets. It was a good game and hopefully both countries do well at the Olympics next year.

Not sure what's hard to tell? There was no one from the national team on the Pan-Am squad, as it is for all them. The US didn't even medal in 2011.

I was only able to catch the tail end of the game, but it was a good win for Canada.

Not sure what's hard to tell? There was no one from the national team on the Pan-Am squad, as it is for all them. The US didn't even medal in 2011.

I was only able to catch the tail end of the game, but it was a good win for Canada.

Americans and basketball, there is so much depth that an American developmental team can be just as good as most other countries national teams.

July 21st was a good day overall. Few disappointments but overall a good day.

Athletics:

4 gold medals. 10 overall in athletics so far compared to 4 total last year.

Disappointment: Jessical O'Connell ran about a minute below her SB, which would have been almost 50s faster then the winning time.

Good results to look forward to in men's and women's 100m and 400m women's hurdle and 800m. The 800m is going to be really competitive, all relatively close in class.

Very happy with the direction of Athletics Canada. 4 medals in Rio is very achievable.

Boxing

3 wins and 1 lose (not the one I had anticipated). 6 total medals in boxing. Slight improvement over Guadalajara but Canadian boxing is still in the wilderness.

Fencing

Decent results, foil is next up.

Table tennis, racquetball and taekwondo were all lackluster.

Tomorrow (later today)

Athletics
Women's High Jump: could happen, but I doubt it

Women's Shot Put: both Canadians have the potential to medal but neither have had a great season.

Same goes for Men's Hammer Throw.

400m hurdles, and 800m are really competitive but Canadians could medal

Same with the men's and women's 100m.

Boxing
Three Canadians go in the semis, 3 bronze medals.

Cycling

Time Trials, not sure, it could happen, especially with how the Canadians have been going in cycling.

Fencing

Foil is competitive, but there is not much to separate the Canadians, Brazilians and Venezuelans for the bronze/silvers.

Taekwondo

No idea

With the boxing loses 10ish medals.