What's the weirdest or most unusual piece of Olympic memorabilia you own

We all, Im sure have Olympic collections. Whats the most unusual piece in yours?

Mine is a door handle from the London 2012 Olympic stadium.
The handle is massive and in the shape of a lightning bolt. It had a small starring role in the opening ceremony, just as Queen entered the stadium after her parachute jump. Its currently in the loft, just waiting for the perfect location : )

Im sure its worthless but I think its pretty cool.

Edited by daveypodmore
  • Like 3

Good thread.

Multiple Muk Muks. They are just marmoting up the joint.

I have the Athens 2010 Youth Olympic Games bid books. They are pretty useless.

The light blue poncho they made us wear at the Vancouver 2010 opening ceremony.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what else... oh I have tons of crap from my media days.

• Like 1

I guess 2 masks: one from the Barcelona opening (the sun mask); and the other as part of my Atlanta opening costume (the blue-gold mask), designed by Cirque du Soleil.

- Salt Lake 2002 audience participation kit.

- an authentic Moscow 1980 Misha plush toy.

- LA 1984 Opening & Closing souvenir programs

- digital files from the Squaw Valley 1960 Opening souvenir program & copies of designs of LA 1984 production designer Rene Lagler from his private files (most shared in the book).

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

I have a little ceramic misha I found a few years back. No idea if its an original but its very cute.

I also had one of the Bowie masks from the London Opening Ceremony but it was way too big so I sold it and got an Isles of wonder storybook that the kids read as part of the NHS/Mary poppins segment.

My Olympic bid books? Nah. My torches? Nah.

I guess the weirdest Olympic memorabilia I own at the moment is this:

Limited edition Lindemans Chardonnay for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. In "gold", "silver" and "bronze" bottles. I'm sure they're just wine from the same batch/year.

img_5451_3.jpg

• Like 1

I have an Akubra (hat) from the 'welcome' segment of the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony (along with the spectator pack, etc).

I have tons of media guides, winter Olympic cow bells, lanyards, scarves, banners...

Oh I have my Sydney 2000 opening ceremony CD signed by Olivia Newton John, John Farnham, Human Nature, Tina Arena and Vanessa Amorosi. I have made a point of getting all the featured artists to sign it whenever an opportunity arises. Except for Julie Anthony. She doesn't sign anything.

Lots of tickets.

My favourite item is probably my SLC02 torch - my favourite design.

I actually have more Commonwealth Games crap...

Limited edition Lindemans Chardonnay for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. In "gold", "silver" and "bronze" bottles. I'm sure they're just wine from the same batch/year.

img_5451_3.jpg

I used to have one bottle of the Centennial Champagne. But finally decided to open it one New Year's because it would certainly go bad if the family waited for another 100 years to open it -- and we certainly wouldn't have been around for it anyway. Plus, it was a cheap brand, Korbel -- and because moving an empty champagne bottle around is such a b*tch, I eventually just tossed the bottle away as well.

There are some nice Olympic philatelic items as well.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Im desperate to get a London 2012 torch, they don't seem to be coming down in price though

Wait 'til after the Rio run -- or I think the Greeks might be eager to sell their. There has to be a regular/reliable dealer in Greece, after all they get around 300 torches each time, gratis. So some poor cash-strapped Greek would want to sell their torch(es). Try the HOC.

I'd have to delve into the Olympic treasure chest (literally - I keep all my Oly stuff in a big antique wooden chest), but off the top of my head, the most offbeat would be:

* A set of Syd, Olly and Millie school exercise books from the lead-up to 2000 (Ialso have a set of temporary tattoos with the logo from the bidding stage of Sydney's 2000 tilt);

* A "Smiggins Holes 2010" beer can holder from "The Ice Dreams" Aussie winter games bid;

* A commemorative limited edition glass bottle of coke I got given in Atlanta (unopened, still full of the black ambrosia).

There's bound to be more. Like Pups, got lots of trinkets and handouts from my media years.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

I'd have to delve into the Olympic treasure chest (literally - I keep all my Oly stuff in a big antique wooden chest), but off the top of my head, the most offbeat would be:

* A set of Syd, Olly and Millie school exercise books from the lead-up to 2000 (Ialso have a set of temporary tattoos with the logo from the bidding stage of Sydney's 2000 tilt);

* A "Smiggins Holes 2010" beer can holder from "The Ice Dreams" Aussie winter games bid;

* A commemorative limited edition glass bottle of coke I got given in Atlanta (unopened, still full of the black ambrosia).

There's bound to be more. Like Pups, got lots of trinkets and handouts from my media years.

The Puppy archives are in two wooden crates and most of the brochures and booklets vacuum sealed in the cupboard. And that s after the great clean out of 2009 which saw my 'Olympic room' downsized to the 'Olympic wardrobe'...

• Like 1

img_5451_3.jpg

I just moved house and threw my three bottles out..... i presumed they would be off by now!

Of course my Olympic Torch ( I carried the flame into Byron Bay) is my most prized possession.

• Like 1

Wait 'til after the Rio run -- or I think the Greeks might be eager to sell their. There has to be a regular/reliable dealer in Greece, after all they get around 300 torches each time, gratis. So some poor cash-strapped Greek would want to sell their torch(es). Try the HOC.

Whats the HOC

oh dear, you seem to have made it rather far in life without ever having grasped the concept of wine...

It's Chardonnay. A white wine. Which doesn't age as good as your reds. Assuming of course it's been left out and exposed, then sure, it would be somewhat tasteless now, but given that they're sealed and complete, they would still be collectable.

Whats the HOC

Hellenic Olympic Committee, the Greek governing body. I assume that baron thinks they might have a whole basement full of unwanted torches, since you only need one of each for the torch display at the museum.

Hellenic Olympic Committee, the Greek governing body. I assume that baron thinks they might have a whole basement full of unwanted torches, since you only need one of each for the torch display at the museum.

Correct. Of course, they only hang on to one for the 3-year old Torch Museum at the Panathinaikos. But since the HOC coordinates with the various Organizing Committees, then they do know (or would have contacts) as to who's selling their extra torches -- as I am sure would-be sellers there in Greece also approach the HOC to see if they know any outside buyers. Esp with the Greek monetary crisis, now would be a perfect time to bargain hunt for torches of recent years there.

Davey, the prob though with the London torch is that I think it has a small % of gold in it, right? So even the minute presence of gold in that torch would prevent it from hitting bargain basement prices when it is offered for sale. Or I could be wrong.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Eventually you'll find one. I got a Lillehammer one at a pawn shop in Las Vegas for 340 about 5 years ago. Patience and always be on the lookout.

Full size or one of those 80cm long mini ones? I ummed and ahhed about starting a torch collection but lucked out in Seattle and got my SLC one for $299 in an antique store. They rarely go for less than a grand on eBay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long time ago (it's maybe still like that), the official flag used at the Opening Ceremony came in three copy and was kept in three differents safe locations in case of fire, robbery, damage, etc...

Those three places were always the sames : at the Organizing Committee, at the Town Hall and at the Official Broadcaster.

I had the chance few years ago to meet the guy in charge of the broadcasting for the 1976 Games in Montreal (one of the big boss at that time for CBC). He's the one who kept the flag after the Games

When he heard about my passion for Olympic he decided to gave it to me.

I had a lot of memorabilia at home, but this is without a doubt my precious one.

• Like 2