Toronto 2015 Opening Ceremony Live chat

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cauldron has a disastrous design, even if i think the acorn motif is supossed to represent the canadian trees and nature. I just wish the idea was executed better.

Overall, it was a good opening ceremony. Much better than I expected and better tha the Guadalajara one (sorry Mexico)

Basically Nash lit the cauldron and fireworks poofed out the flame.

Damn that was a severely disappointing finale! I've seen better pyrotechnics from CN Tower for NYE.

What are you talking about? I have never seen fireworks from the CN Tower on NYE?

Damn that was a severely disappointing finale! I've seen better pyrotechnics from CN Tower for NYE.

There has never been a fireworks display like this with the CN Tower. This is a first so I don't know what your talking about

Basically Nash lit the cauldron and fireworks poofed out the flame.

What are you talking about? I have never seen fireworks from the CN Tower on NYE?

The CN was lit up big time for 2000 NYE. It was massive.

I personally think a cauldron on the CN Tower would have been a tad tacky, plus it's been done in Calgary. Leave the tower as a prop, use lighting from it, but don't make it a cauldron.

I've seen the OC since the parade nations.

I give it 7.5

The good: The stage. altought was small, was well used, and the solemn atmosphere of the OC.

The bad: The lighting was in good part of the OC too dark, even on the stage.

The worse: The lighting of cauldron, they started like Sochi, but the climax was so disappointing, looked makeshift.

Overall an interesting show.

The middle obviously the best part.

If I can compare it to say Glasgow (who I feel is the best match), I'd say the contents of the ceremony was probably better (as in Toronto was better), but possibly not as well produced.

The opening didn't give a good precursor to what was to come, and you need to knock it out of the park to begin with, so that was a little bit of a fail.

In general a good artistic segment, but perhaps a tad samey samey.

All up though, a very good effort.

Yep, 7.5 to me also. If it was just the cultural show (9).

The good thing: The cultural spectacle in the majority. Great spectacle. Perhaps not "Olympic-lite" but excellent idea and execution.

The bad thing: A dreadful beginning, a disappointed cauldron and unremarkable ending with cheesy moments.

Is that an underhanded insult? lol

Nope. I'm in nice mode :P

And yeah, this Toronto 2015 was better than Vancouver 2010 and Glasgow 2014.

Are you referring to the Millennial New Years Eve celebration? I know that was a failure, but I do remember it. Speaking of which, I wish Toronto had a much better New Years celebration, but that's another issue. I've always imagined an elevator rising, (or dropping from the top) with the lights acting behind it generating a giant countdown before the New Year, at which a giant fireworks show happens, that's a pipe dream but it's an idea.

I was kind of disappointed that Steve Nash did it. I was honestly expecting Donovan Bailey to do it and was kind of shocked he did not end up doing it. Would have much preferred if it was someone from the GTA who lit the cauldron.

Archived