• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2017-3-19 at 3:33 PM, Shadowriver said:

Only underdog Budapest fall and now potential double host selection of biggest olympic big shots only shows that agenda 2020 does not work as it suppose to, there won't be unique summer host city in 2020s.

Considering the current political situation in Hungary and Orban following the steps of Putin and Erdogan... I guess it's better for Budapest being out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 4:02 AM, Roger87 said:

Considering the current political situation in Hungary and Orban following the steps of Putin and Erdogan... I guess it's better for Budapest being out.

Based on whats happening in my country, anyone going against mainstream politic narrative of EU can be easily declared by west media as dictator which "follow the steps of Putin and Erdogan" if not son of Hitler just by that fact alone, when political opposition do same BS if not worse. Things can look different from inside then outside. Other then deal with Putin on nuclear plant which i see negatively, i don't know other affairs of Hungary enough to properly jurge Orban enough, i see him OKish from what i know.  

Besides if people don't have issue with China which is openly dictatorial (and for some reason most people don't care about it) i don't know how Hungary or even Russia is a issue.

17 minutes ago, Shadowriver said:

Based on whats happening in my country, anyone going against mainstream politic narrative of EU can be easily declared by west media as dictator which "follow the steps of Putin and Erdogan" if not son of Hitler just by that fact alone, when political opposition do same BS if not worse. Things can look different from inside then outside. Other then deal with Putin on nuclear plant which i see negatively, i don't know other affairs of Hungary enough to properly jurge Orban enough, i see him OKish from what i know.  

Besides if people don't have issue with China which is openly dictatorial (and for some reason most people don't care about it) i don't know how Hungary or even Russia is a issue.

Mostly my comment is related from Hungarian friends who are currently living in Hungary. According to them, this isn't just a criticism of the EU. They came with their experiences sharing about certain liberties like association being harshly dropped and questioned for citizens. Again, this is a close narrativw from close friends in Hungary.

Related to China and Russia, well considering we're talking about of unquestionable powers, unfairly they have counter balance instead small hungary, and still, the current sport associations like the IOC, AIIF and FINA are becoming more aware with Russia after Sochi-gate.

Then he can be biased like that, i know lot of Polish people who would tell you same stories about Poland and Kaczyński, but they can be over the extreme, and if you talk to other people they gonna tell you the opposite and they can be over the extreme too. It all depends on there political opinion, values and awareness of things, as well as actual interest in politic affairs. I have 0 idea how Hungarian opposition, but i know the Orban got on lead when prime minister at time got caught on tape being happy how much he is a "liar". I personally from my neutral look from what i look, Orban is not as extremest as Erdogan or Putin for large degree, if orban did extreme things to level of those 2, Polish mainstream media which is mostly Pro-EU and (<-- just by that) anti-Orban would raport it without 2nd thouth.

In case of China, it's not just sports, politics who hate each other in daily basis in Europe filtering with them ;p You need to remeber that reason why lot of high budget games go to dictatorial countries, because other countries have problem to senstain them or even with huge political will people not support them, i think 2022 host selection expoposed that very well, doing winter olympic in Bejing alone non-politicly sounds crazy and out of place.

10 hours ago, Shadowriver said:

Based on whats happening in my country, anyone going against mainstream politic narrative of EU can be easily declared by west media as dictator which "follow the steps of Putin and Erdogan"

In the Western European tradition, strong leaders are perfectly acceptable, just so long as, like Margaret Thatcher and David Cameron, they can easily suffer nemesis if they display too much hubris.