The way I see the situation, while hamburg would be viably sound from a financial & technical standpoint, their lack of global stature in comparison is no contest. Not to mention that Hamburg would have to build more than either Paris or Rome.

And while Rome does have the name, they're in a bind as far as their financial conditions. If those two bids were able to be fused together, they would be a serious & formidable threat to Paris. But individually, I don't see either of them as being with a huge lead. Then factor in the geopolitics, & that catapults Paris' chances. At this early point in the race, it's the French capital's to lose, IMHO.

Oh that's right, the question was about Budapest. That just goes to show where they really stand lol. They're just horse hay in this whole thing.

I don't mean to sound rude to any city, but how is Budapest any less good as Hamburg (keep in mind that to me, Hamburg is the biggest threat for Paris)?

Both being almost same-size, while one is the capital of a country of roughly 10 million in unstable economics ruled by a fascist in all but name, whose main challenger is an outright fascist party, and the other one being the second biggest city in a country of roughly 81 million and economic stronghold, ruled by a boring conservative who got rid of all serious competition by just putting them to sleep with her no-nonsense style...

There's your answer.

Let's say if Paris, Hamburg, Rome withdraw in the race and in their race we have Baku and Doha, Budapest would have been the winner, otherwise...

Even in such a scenario, I wouldn't exclude Baku - they're not far off from each other on many levels.

Well then, the 2024 race will be quite epic! And as much as you all guys think that Paris is the frontrunner, it won't get those Games either this time (and after that Paris won't bid again for a very long time). I can bet my ass that the IOC will go for either Hamburg (thanks Thomas Bach) or Budapest (new, modern, europan capital, international city, willing to spend billions and billions for those Games). Paris, for 2024, is not interesting to the IOC....

They went for the safe and secure bid for 2020, do you really think they'll do that again for 2024? Nope.

Well then, the 2024 race will be quite epic! And as much as you all guys think that Paris is the frontrunner, it won't get those Games either this time (and after that Paris won't bid again for a very long time). I can bet my ass that the IOC will go for either Hamburg (thanks Thomas Bach) or Budapest (new, modern, europan capital, international city, willing to spend billions and billions for those Games). Paris, for 2024, is not interesting to the IOC....

They went for the safe and secure bid for 2020, do you really think they'll do that again for 2024? Nope.

LOL, I admire your pessimism. Bach has no stocks in Hamburg, he probably wants a German Games during his reign, but not right as the first one he awards. And Budapest...did you read what I wrote about the state of Hungary?

LOL, I admire your pessimism. Bach has no stocks in Hamburg, he probably wants a German Games during his reign, but not right as the first one he awards. And Budapest...did you read what I wrote about the state of Hungary?

Ahahaha, well thanks! Oh you know, you German, so I feel you might be a little biased on this one! ;)

Oh ok I'm kidding, come on! I just don't think that Budapest as a dictatorship (it's not Azerbaîdjan). It's failry quite european Capital and could host some nice Olympics! At least, more people know of Budapest than of Hamburg!

Hamburg won't lose.

Biased for saying all the time Hamburg won't win? :-)

I do, sincerelly, think that it might

Oh ok I'm kidding, come on! I just don't think that Budapest as a dictatorship (it's not Azerbaîdjan). It's failry quite european Capital and could host some nice Olympics! At least, more people know of Budapest than of Hamburg!

Hamburg won't lose.

:-) I don't, but I'm not all emotionally involved with that bid. I was frustrated about our 2022 referendum, as we would have gotten that one on a silver plate with gold crust. For 2024, it's Paris' to lose honestly. And I despise the current Hungarian regime, and apart from that, Budapest would be as risky in terms of sustainability as Athens was, and I just can't imagine the IOC of 2017 to be willing to take that risk.

Economically speaking, Germany is the strongest country. Yes, Hungary is far from it, but I don't think the IOC gives a sh** about it. They just want countries to build **** loads of stuff for the Olympics, but Paris won't be doing that. Budapest and Hamburg will.

Wouldn't hamburg though, in a sense, also be the "safe & secure" bid? Yeah, Hamburg would have to build more than Paris, but you said it yourself, economically speaking, Germany is the most sound than any of the other European contenders.

Hamburg is also not Germany's premier city. With all the talk a lot you (international) guys do that the U.S. should bid with its most iconic cities, well same goes for the other (European) countries out there. Paris is as iconic as it gets in almost every sense.

• Like 2

I know you prefer to stay pessimist but these are perhaps thr most ridiculous arguments

-Paris is one of the four World Cities (Alongside London, Tokyo and NYC). Fashion capital with multicultural society and one of the most relevant cities in international affairs. That's along it's a plus for he IOC.

-Yep Bach is German, but let's not pretend he's a new Samaranch. Also, albeit Hamburg is the second largest German city, it's not exactly a Berlin, Frankfurt, Cologne or Munich.

-Considering what happened in Greece, Hungary will mean a NO. This is a country with less of 10 millions, with a bad economical situation (Two years ago the IMF rejected Hungary). The GDP is 45% less than Greece.

-Another thing - If the IOC only cares countries who are willing to spend money to build "white elephants" then Istanbul wouldn't have lost two years ago or Manchester in the 2000 race. Saying the IOC only cares that is clearly a ridiculous overstimation. Sorry JO2024, but this was dumb. Each race is different and you need to compare certain points and competition.

Budapest is the Moscow of this race. Boston is New York and Rome is Madrid. 2024 will be between Paris and Hamburg and I think that Paris will come out on top in the end.

Yep - 2024 is shaping up akin to 2012. A European battle. With this time Paris 2024 being London 2012.

Hamburg won't lose.

Perhaps Budapest isn't an Azeri dictarship, but Hungary's current record in human rights is spotty to say at least. Considering this is a country which a third party is known for negating the holocaust and links to Fascist groups. Considering there are better options in Europe, why choosing this small country? You must be blind or sarcastic.

Sorry, but considering there's still a referendum in November we don't know yet if Hamburg is safe. And even if it's safe, comparing Hamburg to Paris is like comparing New York City to San Diego.

Economically speaking, Germany is the strongest country. Yes, Hungary is far from it, but I don't think the IOC gives a sh** about it. They just want countries to build **** loads of stuff for the Olympics, but Paris won't be doing that. Budapest and Hamburg will.

Please, after 2022 mess, they are making efforts to change that.

They just want countries to build **** loads of stuff for the Olympics

Not always, again Istanbul 2020, Manchester 2000... It's not exactly a full requirement when you consider the race. Paris is a A+ World Class City with relevance in international affairs and one of the world's top three tourist destinations. Also Paris is one of the top five wealthiest regions in the UE, which means more money for consomation. France is still a relevant country in big organisations like the IOC, United Nations and FIFA and even with years of recession (Like Japan) they can afford easily these type of events -After all, it's the fifth/sixth global economy- and not counting in fact their population is relative younger comparing some of their neighbourns. These reasons along would bring Paris a big upper hand in the race (As a favorite), even with the lack of big constructions.

• Like 1

And even if it's safe, comparing Hamburg to Paris is like comparing New York City to San Diego.

Or Boston lmfao

Please, after 2022 mess, they are making efforts to change that.

France is still a relevant country in big organisations like the IOC, United Nations and FIFA and even with years of recession (Like Japan) they can afford easily these type of events.

Exactly.

Personally, I think Budapest could/should be European Games host. It seems to better fit to its profile (cool way to show a good image of your country and ability to host) It's not the same audience rates, but Hungary hasn't a real tradition of hosting such big things (no european football championships, no world athletics championships, just world swimming and some others. Sorry if I missed something) and I really think these newbie/countries have to test their ability before to bid for summer olympics.

At this point Paris (hugely expected to win this) and Hamburg (I don't seriously believe into the multi cities concept of Rome) are the two big contenders, Boston is a.. I actually don't know how Boston bid will turn out.

• Like 1