Baku Expected To Enter Olympic Bid Race

GBModerator

On the heals of successfully hosting the first European Games in Azerbaijan this month, Baku is said to be set to bid for the Olympic Games, the head of the European Olympic Committees (EOC) told the Associated Press Sunday. EOC President Pat Hickey said that he expects officials to “announce very shortly that they will be […]

View the full article

Let's see if Baku makes the shortlist first...

At the very least I think they should.

But yea I'm looking at the capacity of the venues for the European Games vs the capacity for the venues at London and Rio, and they almost have to start from scratch. I highly doubt that most of the venues can be renovated to increase seating to 2/3 times its current capacity. The Olympic stadium can certainly be increased a few thousand. There was a lot to play around with in that whole area where the screen projection was. Also you have to think of soccer stadiums

Let's see if Baku makes the shortlist first...

Can tell you right now that would be a no. They will be ousted along with Budapest. That's assuming that those two aren't the only bidders LEFT when it's time to announce the short-list, that is! Lmfao! :-D

At the very least I think they should.

But yea I'm looking at the capacity of the venues for the European Games vs the capacity for the venues at London and Rio, and they almost have to start from scratch. I highly doubt that most of the venues can be renovated to increase seating to 2/3 times its current capacity. The Olympic stadium can certainly be increased a few thousand. There was a lot to play around with in that whole area where the screen projection was. Also you have to think of soccer stadiums

Of course, Baku's chances to host the Olympics are stll not high, however, in case of bidding this time the city must make it to the shortlist.

Baku might use some of its existing venues, expand capacity and build some new ones.

Venues such as Crystal Hall, Heydar Aliyev Sport Center, Baku Shooting Center, Baku Cycling and BMX Center, National Gymnastics Arena, Kur Rowing Center could be used as they are.

Olympic stadium could be expanded up to 80K. As for Aquatics Center, let's say the existing one will be used for synchronised swimming and diving, while a bigger (temporary?) one will be needed for swimming.

A number of football arenas, smaller sport centers as Baku Sport Center, Sarhadchi Sport Club, Baku Boxing Center etc. could be used as supporting venues. Moreover, Baku Expo Center could be used for some of the sports.

Further, Baku is constantly increasing its capacity in sense of hotels and alternative accodomation, last year opened a brand new airport terminal, as well as got a lof of experience in hosting large scale events and the process is still going on with the upcoming Chess Olympiad 2016, U-17 EURO 2016, World Sailing Championship 2016, Formula 1 Baku Grand Prix 2016, Islamic Solidarity Games 2017, EURO 2020 etc.

That is why I believe this time it would be unfair to leave Baku outside of shortlist.

Further, Baku is constantly increasing its capacity in sense of hotels and alternative accodomation, last year opened a brand new airport terminal, as well as got a lof of experience in hosting large scale events and the process is still going on with the upcoming Chess Olympiad 2016, U-17 EURO 2016, World Sailing Championship 2016, Formula 1 Baku Grand Prix 2016, Islamic Solidarity Games 2017, EURO 2020 etc.

That is why I believe this time it would be unfair to leave Baku outside of shortlist.

If the list of cities is strong and Baku is evaluated as the sixth best bid it might get left out anyway, as Rio was for 2012. The IOC has to draw a line somewhere with the shortlist.

If the list of cities is strong and Baku is evaluated as the sixth best bid it might get left out anyway, as Rio was for 2012. The IOC has to draw a line somewhere with the shortlist.

Also Istanbul was out of the shortlist in 2012, even when the city made it in 2008; or Prague in 2016 (Which their notes, btw were higher than both of Baku).

Most of the times making it in the shortlist depends: a. The race; b. The country and c. External factors.

Considering the race has Paris, Rome, Hamburg, maybe Boston and stretching Budapest if they want 5, Baku may wait again on the bench.

I agree. In my opinion 2024 race is already very strong so Baku should better wait, make further improvements in infrastructure and hosting experience and and come back stronger for 2028.

Most of the times making it in the shortlist depends: a. The race; b. The country and c. External factors.

Exactly. Which this line of thinking goes against the ones that argue that the short-list is merely a "technical" evaluation, & that "in theory", if any city passes the benchmark, then they get moved forward to the candidate stage.

However, I'm definitely with you guys on this one. I believe the short-list can be, & is just as politically motivated (& not just about the "scores or rankings") as the final vote itself. Especially when there has been precedent in such respective cases, like you pointed out, Roger.

Also Istanbul was out of the shortlist in 2012, even when the city made it in 2008; or Prague in 2016 (Which their notes, btw were higher than both of Baku).

Considering the race has Paris, Rome, Hamburg, maybe Boston and stretching Budapest if they want 5, Baku may wait again on the bench.

Which is why I also don't see Budapest making it if more unviable cities join the list. I see Budapest 2024 as Prague 2016. If the list stays just as it is now, I could see the IOC "stretching it" & making it 5 to include Budapest. But if more start to come out of the wood work, like Doha, Baku & Kiev, then I'd say Budapest is done for. As rob said, the IOC has to draw the line somewhere.

Baku can have the shiniest venues, it will still be Baku, Azerbaijan, ruled by Aliyev and his wife.

So, that's a no.

:)

I bet greeks who invented the Olympics hate Angela Merkel 100000... times more than they hate Aliyev :P

Unfortunately this is completely true.

Also I was reading that Azerbaijan is located in a hostile area near the middle east, the ukraine and russia, have major conflicts with its neighboring country, the Armenian.

I also think the fact that the first lady to be president the committee of Baku European Games a complete lack of ethics. I do not understand how this is not considered a crime there.

Archived