Discovery nabs European TV rights to 2018-2024 Olympics

The reported £110m price tag for such rights, on top of the BBC giving Eurosport the 2018-20 pay-TV rights, just suggests poor negotiations by the BBC. They only paid £60m for the full rights to London 2012 (where Eurosport also had pay-TV rights), so to pay over double that (as the Winter rights aren't as valuable) for just two streams of coverage really does suggest they're being ripped off.

I wonder how reliable the £110m report is- it certainly doesn't seem to have come from the horse's mouth. Also, it's worth remembering one awkward thing the Games from 2018 to 2022 have in common- their daytime is UK nighttime.

• 7 months later...

Discovery may have the Olympics- but in the UK, Channel 4 were sufficiently pleased with their returns from the Rio Paralympics that they've agreed to cover 2018 and 2020 (plus next year's London championships).

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/21/channel-4-paralympics-rio-london-2017-2018-winter-paralympics-tokyo-2020

20 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Discovery may have the Olympics- but in the UK, Channel 4 were sufficiently pleased with their returns from the Rio Paralympics that they've agreed to cover 2018 and 2020 (plus next year's London championships).

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/21/channel-4-paralympics-rio-london-2017-2018-winter-paralympics-tokyo-2020

Not to forget that Channel 4 now also will cover the KitchOlympics aka Great British Bake Off ;-)

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Rob. said:

I hope nobody in the IOC really believes that it makes no difference in Germany whether Eurosport or ARD/ZDF will show the Olympics.

There's more cash in it now, but inevitably lesser ratings and publicity here, which is also bad for minority sports (aka anything but football) as they'll now have restricted limelight appearance only.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rob. said:

What percentage of German households have access to Eurosport 1, do you think?

In theory a lot (no idea about figures, but probably 80 at least, I'd say) but they will hardly generate an audience of 7-10 million like ARD/ZDF in primetime events.

There will be the real enthusiasts watching, but the rest won't look for Eurosport on their channels list down there to watch an archer or a rower win a medal. When it's on the main channels, people watch because they'll always do, it doesn't need an effort.

Of course, with the three Asian editions coming up, the time difference will make ratings even worse, I guess.

Besides, with the all-time low reputation of the IOC, appearing greedy on TV rights won't make them look better either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

In theory a lot (no idea about figures, but probably 80 at least, I'd say) but they will hardly generate an audience of 7-10 million like ARD/ZDF in primetime events.

There will be the real enthusiasts watching, but the rest won't look for Eurosport on their channels list down there to watch an archer or a rower win a medal. When it's on the main channels, people watch because they'll always do, it doesn't need an effort.

Yep, completely agree.

I wonder....if France ends up in the same situation to Germany, with sub-liscencing to a a public broadcaster not coming to fruition, what effect will that have on domestic sponsorship for a Paris 2024 Olympics? Will sponsors be as enthused by an event for which the general public has to subscribe or go looking for? This could make things a little tricky for Paris.

4 hours ago, Rob. said:

Yep, completely agree.

I wonder....if France ends up in the same situation to Germany, with sub-liscencing to a a public broadcaster not coming to fruition, what effect will that have on domestic sponsorship for a Paris 2024 Olympics? Will sponsors be as enthused by an event for which the general public has to subscribe or go looking for? This could make things a little tricky for Paris.

According to Wikipedia, Germany is the only nation with a free-to-air Eurosport channel. Sounds like a thin-end-of-the wedge experiment to me.

• 1 month later...

At this time everyone has free Eurosport1 in Germany, but I agree a lot of the people will not go past the public stations to find it.

Personally I enjoyed the online availability of Rio and would hate to get the rest of the family to agree with watching. Also being able to watch in bed and what I wanted to meant I could watch a lot more. 

If they want to make more money, they should make a deal with Amazon to sell more merchandise. Using the broadcasts as commercials.

On 29/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, dcws said:

I like the "not sour grapes at all, honest" responses of the ERR chairman:

"We had a choice — either we broadcast sports at the expense of remaining programming or we save the money for other projects," Allikmaa said. "This is a win for those who do not care about sports."

... "Many have pointed out that real sports take place elsewhere outside of the Olympics," he noted, adding that the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang and 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo would be taking place in a time zone that, due to the time difference, would be unsuitable for Estonian viewers anyway.