Universiade 2015 - Gwangju

Its going to start on 8 days so I decided to open a thread dedicated to the upcoming event.

Logo and Mascot of the games (they reused the wing idea of Incheon though now forming the U for Universiade)

1339975574924.gif

Poster

CGoebMdVAAEyIPR.jpg

The Medals

CIEMIA6WoAA5rkf.jpg

Athletes Village

CIThzvRW8AAJkdP.jpg

Torch relay undergoing, the relay began at Mudeung National Park on a ceremony

CGpb4BoUgAA1tpW.jpg

CGt6Xr1U8AEjcmB.jpg

Some sneak peaks of the stage. Sadly, it seems the ceremony will go back to the small, simplistic style of the ceremonies before Shenzhen 2011 (no offense but koreans seem to be very stingy when doing ceremonies. All of them except for the 2002 WC and the Seoul olympics felt halfassed. I seriously hope they don't do this in Pyeongchang)

PYH2015062318040005400_P2.jpg

NISI20150623_0011087027_web.jpg

http://www.gwangju2015.com/gwangju-universiade-opening-ceremony-where-korean-tradition-meets-pop-culture-3/?c_page=1&brd_sbox_type=&brd_sbox_txt=&brd_cat=news

The Gwangju Universiade Organizing Committee (GUOC) held an official event at the Plaza Hotel in Seoul on June 3, introducing the overall plans for the Universiade’s opening and closing ceremonies.

The event was attended by the GUOC President Kim Hwang-sik, the ceremonies’ director Park Myung-sung, the Universiade’s ambassadors and others.

The GUOC President Kim Hwang-sik said that the committee would try its best to make the Universiade an event where Jeolla Provinces’ unique features and global culture would be perfectly mixed together.

Opening and closing ceremonies will have Korean celebrities representing Korea’s tradition and pop culture, including actor Joo Won, singer U-know Yunho of the duo TVXQ, popera singer Lim Hyung-joo and many more.

The two ceremonies will proceed under the Universiade’s slogan of “Light Up Tomorrow,” and the sub-themes of the opening and closing ceremonies are “U are Shining” and “Sharing the Light,” respectively.

150603-Gwangju-Universiade-Opening-Cerem

Here are the uniforms for the US men's basketball team , represented by the University of Kansas Jayhawks

http://www2.kusports.com/photos/galleries/2015/jun/22/ku-basketball-uniforms-2015-world-university-games/

I certainly hope we do well, but it still puzzle me we can beat Canada but not Wichita St.

The problem with Korean ceremonies of late, is that they have the most redic themes that make absolutely no sense.

*shining we grow* *new seeds new hope* *hope fills love* bla bla bla

Complete non sensical drivel.

They won't top Kazan, anyway!!!!!

Besides, the stage has nothing to do with Kazan stage...

Only some cover over the grass....

Having seen the Asiad 2014 Opening Ceremony we can not expect someting great....

Anyway.. let's watch...

^^ If you see the last pic i put they covered all of the field already. But yeah, they will be more simple than Kazan. Simple doesn't always means it will be bad (except when they do it exageratedly simple like Incheon). I guess they just don't wanna invest too much money on a ceremony very few actually watch anyway.

^^ Well, whenever Korea does a ceremony, expect at least a bit of K-Pop. Its their current trend they're so proud of now, even if some of us don't like it. (The PSY trend seems to have ended, though).

I thought it was going to be worse, but it was actually a decent ceremony. Guess they were aware of the bad reception of Incheon 2014 and hired a better team or something

You can watch it fully from here (its divided in 12 parts) before its taken down

PS: Looks like starting ceremonies at twilight has become the new trend now (London 2012, Glasgow 2014, Kazan 2013, Baku 2015 and now this one)

^^ Due to Maracana setting expect this to happen again in Rio 2016. I don't really mind that much, though. Lilehammer and SLC also had empty seats for the athletes and both were cool ceremonies

^^ Due to Maracana setting expect this to happen again in Rio 2016. I don't really mind that much, though. Lilehammer and SLC also had empty seats for the athletes and both were cool ceremonies

Maracana have a lot of space to athletes. The ceremonies in Baku was in a huge olympic stadium and the athletes stayed in the sets too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived