Blatter resigned

A great day for football fans everywhere. For the first time in a long time, I can say there is hope for the future of the game. We just need to rid FIFA of the remnant of Blatter's cronyism and hope their successors are truly dedicated to change and reform.

A hallelujah moment indeed for not just soccer/football fans worldwide but for all sports! Why be the president of everybody even when the more economically vulnerable nations that he helped support and they backed for only a few days, only to resign? I knew Jerome Velacke, Blatter's righthand man, is now implicated in a NYT report that just came out.

Hallelujah indeed but what a farce! He just got himself convincingly re-elected only a friggin' week ago and now he's finally smelled the coffee and decided to quit?

What in the name of all that's holy does this say about FIFA that it convincingly re-elected a deeply, disgraced figure who has now done a bunk and may yet end up in prison? :angry:

I don't envy the poor sod that takes over. Who the hell would want to sort out this gigantic mess? Only a very brave and courageous soul, that's for sure!!! :blink:

Hmm, a man who dropped out around the time the scandal started back in the race? Maybe that's a sign that it's best he doesn't run again, it's like he wanted to avoid being a part of that whole mess until it sort of died down.

I agree. I feel that he knew what was going to happen so he just left. Although at least he was a man of sport and could relate better with football than another bureaucrat/businessman/royalty in power.

We still sort of hate him in FC Barcelona for what he did in the 90's, though (i'm sure I don't need to explain that)

Without a doubt "the poor sod" who will take over FIFA will confront the horrible legacy left behind by not just Blatter but also Havelange. And certainly will not be overnight and will go on for years. Help out the less powerful nations in Asia, Africa, Oceania to build a stronger worldwide game at all levels, yes. But make sure integrity is always there.

John Oliver is hilariously at it again with FIFA sequel since the scandal broke when the US Department of Justice spearheaded it but just before of course Sepp Blatter's resignation hours ago. We all have the strong sneaky feeling there's serious corruption dirt attached to the Swiss serpent and couldn't handle the oncoming heat. Blatter is like Charles Manson sometimes. And Oliver must have contributed in his own to Blatter's resignation. Jack Warner bringing The Onion article sums up FIFA's corruption perfectly. Like to know he ate McDonald's, wore the gold Adidas, and drank the Bud Light Lime, which he dislikes! :lol:

Did any of you read the 164-page indictment? I haven't yet. Heard it make you shake your head.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

In the German news it was just said that Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 is under question...

I wonder how many "Blatter protegés" will dissappear now..

2018 will go ahead in Russia; its inconceivable that this won't go ahead - given the timeframe involved.

Qatar 2022, god knows.

As for who takes over from Blatter - hmm, well that is a conundrum. I have little faith, however. Asia/Africa voted en masse for Blatter - if they were willing to entrust the top job to a disgraced figure, then how can any of us have faith in the process that lies ahead.

Reform couldn't come soon enough to this joke of an organisation. I also call on the French association to replace their joke of a leader.

Michael Van Praag, could command UEFA's vote.... however, I think FIFA needs a dynamic and younger candidate. But for me, Ginola and Figo are not wise choices. I do not envy FIFA going forward, what a mess.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

As for who takes over from Blatter - hmm, well that is a conundrum. I have little faith, however. Asia/Africa voted en masse for Blatter - if they were willing to entrust the top job to a disgraced figure, then how can any of us have faith in the process that lies ahead.

Reform couldn't come soon enough to this joke of an organisation. I also call on the French association to replace their joke of a leader.

Michael Van Praag, could command UEFA's vote.... however, I think FIFA needs a dynamic and younger candidate. But for me, Ginola and Figo are not wise choices. I do not envy FIFA going forward, what a mess.

Exactly my thoughts. Before celebrating, people need to wait for the results. Sometimes, the changes are worse than expected.

ALSO.. Blatter HAS NOT resigned..... he intends to 'stand down' in 6 to 12 months...... unless of course you trust him 100% to keep his word.

He'll need all that time to do the shredding!! ^_^

I agree with Michelle, Noël Le Graët is an absolute buffoon who needs to be kicked out of the FFF now!! :angry:

As to who will succeed Splatter, Platini may not be perfect but in the cesspit that is FIFA he is one of the rosier smelling ones........

He'll need all that time to do the shredding!! ^_^

I agree with Michelle, Noël Le Graët is an absolute buffoon who needs to be kicked out of the FFF now!! :angry:

As to who will succeed Splatter, Platini may not be perfect but in the cesspit that is FIFA he is one of the rosier smelling ones........

But he voted for Qatar and his son's connections don't exactly inspire confidence that there aren't self interests

• Like 1

This is good news. Lets hope things will improve now. Its going to be a tough job for the person who takes up the role as President. Good luck to them

Wonder if he will show up here in NZ in a few weeks when the U20WC finals are on...Can already hear the loud booing from North Habour Stadium aready...

And yet Blatter still has freinds here...An interview with former All White and Verter Bremen star Wynton Rufer in his pseudo german accent had nothing but praise for the man, and started blaming those directly beneath Blatter.

He also reminded that NZ football has gained so much in the last decade and a half with minor tournaments and development money that would've stayed in Europe otherwise.

Edited by Alexjc

That, at least, had some amusement. The consequences of a similar performance here are too dreadful to contemplate.

It seems quite clear that something fundamental changed in Sepp Blatter's world between the weekend and yesterday afternoon. Whatever that is will, I suspect, only become fully apparent in time to come. But what is undoubtedly clear is that his departure, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later, is a massive boost to all those of us who have watched his leadership of FIFA with increasing dismay, anger and utter despair.

The bottom line is this. There was never any chance of meaningful reform of FIFA for as long as Mr Blatter was at the helm. How could there be with a president of nearly 80 years of age who has worked in senior roles within that organisation since 1975? All of the problems that are coming home to roost now have developed and been allowed to fester and spread on his watch. He could not and cannot be trusted and I for one will not be satisfied until he is gone and he is forced to answer in full for his failures.

The question now is where next, both in terms of the World Cup and Mr Blatter's successor. While I take Michelle's point about the impracticalities relating to 2018, I think the clouds of suspicion are now so thick and so dark that whoever is elected should order new bidding processes to take place for both tournaments and an evaluation and voting system similar to that of the IOC must be implemented. Only then can we be confident that host nations are being elected properly.

As regards Mr Blatter's successor, it needs to be someone completely new and completely untainted by the past. I don't know who that person is, but I do know we are a lot closer to finding them without the discredited, destructive Sepp Blatter blocking the way of sanity.

There's been a lot of controversy in cricket about plans to concentrate power within the global governing body with a so-called "big three" of Australia, England and India which are widely unpopular and, in my opinion at least, do little for the sport. I fear a similar idea could damage football as well.

Although it's tempting to look at solutions in terms of nationality or continent, I think we should be seeing this as an opportunity for all stakeholders to be brought into the decision-making process. It can't simply be about administrators any more. If the governance of football is to be shaped into a model that is fit for the 21st century, then it needs the widest possible input. It needs current players to be represented and the involvement of recently retired players. It needs coaches and people with experience of business outside the game. And it also needs the ordinary supporter who looks at FIFA in its current form and feels it is totally remote from the game they love. It is only by starting again from scratch and involving everyone who cares about this game that FIFA can hope to save itself from complete collapse.

• Like 1

FIFA's Blatter to skip IOC meeting in Lausanne

Sepp Blatter, who is resigning as president of world soccer's embattled governing body FIFA, will not attend an International Olympic Committee meeting next week, the IOC said.

"He informed the IOC president some time ago he will not be attending," an IOC official told Reuters.

The IOC is holding an executive board meeting as well as a meeting for the 2022 winter Olympic bid cities between June 7-10 in Lausanne.

Blatter, as head of FIFA, is an IOC member.

Reuters

http://www.eurosport.com/football/fifa-s-blatter-to-skip-ioc-meeting-in-lausanne_sto4770143/story.shtml

FIFA's Blatter to skip IOC meeting in Lausanne

Sepp Blatter, who is resigning as president of world soccer's embattled governing body FIFA, will not attend an International Olympic Committee meeting next week, the IOC said.

"He informed the IOC president some time ago he will not be attending," an IOC official told Reuters.

The IOC is holding an executive board meeting as well as a meeting for the 2022 winter Olympic bid cities between June 7-10 in Lausanne.

Blatter, as head of FIFA, is an IOC member.

Reuters

http://www.eurosport.com/football/fifa-s-blatter-to-skip-ioc-meeting-in-lausanne_sto4770143/story.shtml

He's no longer needed there. Besides, he's not even a voting member anymore. The IOC only keeps him for courtesy's sakes -- as they try to do with the heads of all the important federations. But he is already a lame duck. The IOC probably told him to not show up.

A lot of the FIFA corruption and money being sent that we know involved off-field situation. Now our first on-field FIFA money situation: FIFA paid the FAI $5 mIllion (or 5 million euros) back in 2010 in hush money compensation to prevent the FAI from taking it to court after the infamous France-Ireland Thierry Henry handball to William Gallas goal UEFA 2010 home and home playoff. It's said for paying the construction of a new stadium. Wow! The FAI had understandably good reason to take it to court and sue.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fifa-5m-payment-to-fai-was-a-loan-towards-stadium-1.2237892

• Like 1

A lot of the FIFA corruption and money being sent that we know involved off-field situation. Now our first on-field FIFA money situation: FIFA paid the FAI $5 mIllion (or 5 million euros) back in 2010 in hush money compensation to prevent the FAI from taking it to court after the infamous France-Ireland Thierry Henry handball to William Gallas goal UEFA 2010 home and home playoff. It's said for paying the construction of a new stadium. Wow! The FAI had understandably good reason to take it to court and sue.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fifa-5m-payment-to-fai-was-a-loan-towards-stadium-1.2237892

You think so?

Sounds to me like FIFA has more money than sense here - they should've just ignored the FAI. Refereeing mistakes happen in football. It was incredibly frustrating that Ireland lost that tie because of that goal, but since when were FA's taking governing bodies to court over on field decisions?! That sounds like a ridiculously slippery slope to me.

So instead of sticking to common sense and ignoring FAI's claims they did what they do best and offered cash. And Ireland accepted.

Neither party comes out of it well. And I wonder what the Irish players think of all this now.