Next Caribbean/Central American Pan Ams?

So far, there have only been 3 Pan Ams held in the Caribbean, those being:

-San Juan, Puerto Rico in 1979

-Havana, Cuba in 1991

-Santo Domingo, Dominian Republic in 2003

The last 2 (and the 2 Upcoming) were/are held in either North America or South America. Central America has not hosted yet. So, which Caribbean or Central American City do you think can host the Pan Ams in the future?

Kingston, Jamaica and maybe Port Au Prince Haiti somewhere down the lines might be the only two that can realistically host the games. The rest of the countries don't have the resources, the need, or are just downright too small to host even the Pan American games.

I was thinking Kingston as well since they hosted the Commonwealth games back in the 60s, so they have some experiance hosting a big crowd for this kind of event. Also it might provide the chance for Jamaican athletes to compete in sports not often contested by their athletes.

• Like 1

Port-au-Prince? Haiti having resources? That would be a very long way down the line, I'm afraid.

Obviously, the three previous host cities could on paper do it again at some point as well. Santo Domingo may not have been great at the time, but with a better organisation it could work again, and so could Havana one day.

• Like 1

Port-au-Prince? Haiti having resources? That would be a very long way down the line, I'm afraid.

Hence why I said down the line. Their economy may not be all that great, but they have the size and the population to host such an event. That's more than I can say for the rest of the Caribbeans. It's more populated than Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic, it's even bigger in size than Puerto Rico. But with the instability of the country, it has a long way to go. But it is one of the only Caribbean countries capable of hosting the games.

By the looks of it though it will be a LONG time before the Pan American games return to the Caribbean. There are just far better options in North and South America.

A descentralized games could be arranged in Puerto Rico as they already hosted the Central American and Caribbean Games in different sites such as Ponce, Mayagüez and San Juan of course. As for Central American, Panama City is a big maybe. PASO will face its own reforms now as Raña's reign is over.

• Like 1

Obviously, the three previous host cities could on paper do it again at some point as well. Santo Domingo may not have been great at the time, but with a better organisation it could work again, and so could Havana one day.

If Havana want to host the Pan Ams or any other Multi-Sports Events (Like the Central American and Caribbean Games) then I would suggest they renovate their Venues because they are in terrible condition, Estadio Panamericano can do with a New Track, Seating & A Decent Paint-Job on the outside. Estadio Pedro Marrero needs more seats and work on the Exterior, Parque Jose Marti Stadium can be demolished and redone. The only decent Stadium in Havana has to be Estadio Latinoamericano. I can see Havana as a host in the future but they need to work on their venues more... I would also see Kingston and San Juan or even Ponce host the Pan Ams in the future too.

I thought Guadalajara hosted in 2011? So wouldn't that be the last Central American Pan-Ams? Leaving out only the Caribbean? Maybe a Puerto Rico bid.

Actually, Mexico is part of North America, not Central, I hope Puerto Rico does bid one day, would be nice to see San Juan host again or Ponce..

Actually, Mexico is part of North America, not Central, I hope Puerto Rico does bid one day, would be nice to see San Juan host again or Ponce..

Okay, so it's not considered apart of Central? It seems as though Mexico goes either way, their in flux.

Though I seriously could see a San Juan bid. Someone should totally submit one for your contest.

^I would love that, It would make a great addition for the FantasyDocs Library. I would bid with San Juan but I've already started on my Havana Bid Book...

Well I can gaurentee you that Latin and I's Houston will be a great bid book to add!

Puerto Rico isn't doing very well right now to be honest (a lot of schools were forced to close recently due to lack of funds) so I don't see the Pan Ams happening there in the near future, even though San Juan seems to be the most logical choice. Dominican Republic would be the second choice but there was a lot of criticism towards the 2003 games back then.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. The country is one of the most wealthy of the Caribbean and the city could pull out a nice organization.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. The country is one of the most wealthy of the Caribbean and the city could pull out a nice organization.

Well Port Of Spain seems to be the business and sports center of Trinidad & Tobago. It certainly is doable there. But I don't think they would ever go for it, it just seems like a lot of the facilities will go to waste.

Also looking at the climate, it rains A LOT there during the normal Pan Am season. Between June and November it sees an average of 15 or more days of nothing but rain. Not only that, it's hurricane season and since they're right there out in the open there's always a good chance they will feel the impact of a storm whether or not it goes anywhere near them. If it wanted to host it would have to be in March or April, their driest months.

• 2 years later...

With Puerto Rico filling bankruptcy... Yep nope. Equal to La Hispaniola countries (Haiti and Dominican Republic).

For Central America, even if smaller and with some concesions from PASO, I can see Panama, but just barely. Panama City is really growning fast and the infrastructure and economy are improving. 

Agreed with many of the points issued on the West Indies nations mentioned here we may think of as potential Pan American hosts. Havana in Cuba must get its key venues like Estadio Panamericano, Estadio Pedro Marrero, Coliseo de la Ciudad Deportiva, and the Parque Estadio Jose Marti, up to snuff and revitilized from their terrible upkeeps. Puerto Rico is in such horrible economic shape with its massive debt filing bankruptcy that it's experiencing a brain drain and schools closing. Not to mention hedge funders swooping in like vultures. Haiti's got bigger priorities before it even considers building a long-term national multisport culture outside of say soccer. Dominican Republic is a little better and could do it if the Santo Domingo organization next time is right. Jamaica can be interesting but doesn't quite yet have capabilities or solid all-around top-level venues in Kingston. I like Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago being doable with its wealth and being the sports and business center. But, as Ikarus notes, the Pan American Games must be moved up from the hurricane season to avoid it being vulnerable with its location. As far as the venues are concerned, any local organizers must devise a nice long-term strategy for their uses that can build a deeper national multisports culture while reducing costs.

Panama City is capable as a fast-rising city with an improving infrastructure and economy. Does have its own ready-made facilities like the Roberto Duran Hands of Stone Arena to use. Surprised a bit that San Jose in Costa Rica hasn't been mentioned. That nation is always stable but can perhaps not as economically capable like Panama City despite producing great sports like the Ticos and Ticas in soccer along with the Poll sisters in swimming and track star Nery Brenes--even with the PASO concessions. Beyond them, what else it's got in sports internationally? What San Jose venues does it need to build or improve with already?