Judgment Day for FIFA?

Soaring

The russian butthurt is going to be satisfying and delicious if this happens, though, but I think its hard considering they already started building the venues.

Well Qatar has also already started construction of their venues, should they still also keep their games? No. Construction or not, if it is found that Russia did indeed bribe their way to win the rights to host the 2018 WC, then they too should be stripped of their right to host. The only other alternative is if they face heavy fines/sanctions/whatnot from FIFA and other organizations, as well as those European bids in the running to host the 2018 WC should have the right to take legal action against Russian organizations.

^^ Yeah but most if not all of Qatar work so far has been groundwork and preparation of terrain. While stadiums like the St. Petersburg one in Russia are more than 50% ready. Taking away the WC from Russia is impossible? No. Difficult? Yes it is, at least more compared to Qatar.

^^ Yeah but most if not all of Qatar work so far has been groundwork and preparation of terrain. While stadiums like the St. Petersburg one in Russia are more than 50% ready. Taking away the WC from Russia is impossible? No. Difficult? Yes it is, at least more compared to Qatar.

The implication in your post is that Russia doesn't need these stadiums afterwards.

Btw, Blatter keeps saying the World Cup will still be held in Russia, but

Update - Swiss Federal Office of Justice opens criminal proceedings over the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football world cups #Fifa

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/603478928699817984

Also, it seems the election date for the presidency will not change, and many of the FIFA members have expressed they will vote for Ali now.

Prince_Ali.png

MAKE WAY FOR PRINCE ALI

Anyone think that Russia and Qatar were the only people who offered bribes?

Say what you want about Russia, but they are a *reasonable* choice as host, and will likely to a good job. Besides, it's late. I don't see them losing that games.

I think you re-look at Qatar. Can they really host?

• Like 1

^^ Lol no one is a saint, i know, but we all know very well how the words Russia and Corruption get along very well. I thought Sochi should had served as a lesson already.

And hell no. Qatar might have the money but nothing else. No sport tradition, no stable weather, few human rights, nada. Plus, supporting a country which treats the expat workers like slaves and is kinda guilty for the birth of the Islamic State makes me feel miserable.

The election of Qatar was a bad taste joke, which has lasted for way too long. They should use this golden opportunity to put this farce to an end once and for all.

• Like 1

Wow. Finally! At last some serious repercussions coming to FIFA from that very dubious Qatar selection! Mind you, I too was disgusted with the decision Makes no sense. Yes, "a bad taste joke". And absurd. At least with Russia, there's a strong soccer heritage even when part of the Soviet Union and a strong league, even if controlled largely by oligarchs. That's not changing and won't be moved. Qatar has NO INTERNATIONAL SOCCER SUCCESS AND HISTORY TO SPEAK OF. Not even within Asia. At least the men's national basketball team can claim something of that sort. Does have the ASPIRE Academy but even its domestic Q-League with clubs paying lots of money to foriegners on the end of their playing careers doesn't attract many fans.

I don't think Blatter will get arrested but should be, I agree. We don't know how much they're paid because they're all tight-lipped on it. Give 2022 to the much more deserving USA partly for the several reasons already mentioned here. Did it when China had to give it up for the WWC 2003 due to SARS and was granted to America. No doubt we Americans are capable.

John Oliver, take it away on the corruption and incomptence

That, and the upcoming FIFA Presidential election...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhAta_OWGZk

Now we need the other regional confederations to follow suit. If UEFA can be powerful enough to call things postponed for what's coming, that must be start of the justified downfall for FIFA as we know it.

Come on UEFA. Display some balls & withdraw from FIFA now, while things are still in flux. This day has been a long time coming, & I'm delighted that it's finally here. This could yet be the greatest day in the history of football if it's not wasted.

• Like 2

This is quite a bombshell to say the least. Now Fox Sports is reporting those arrested will likely face federal racketeering charges which can carry up to a 20 year prison sentence. Having said that thought, is FIFA really going to change? After Teixera, Bin Hamman? I think when it's all said and done FIFA will cut bait with them and maybe even go as far as declaring corruption has finally been flushed out of FIFA and Blatter will claim he's a savior.

Then there's the matter of Qatar. The World Cup isn't going anywhere. FIFA has already said there will be no revote anyway. Removing the WC from Russia would be messy but it wouldn't be the political firestorm that taking it from Qatar would be. I've commented on this before as there's the issue of Qatar being an Arab country and a Muslim country at that. They are marketing this not just as a Qatari World Cup, but an Arab World Cup. Take it from them and the allegations of racism will be off the charts. We've already had a preview of it last year when the press started reporting about possible corruption in the 2022 vote and the OCA chairman Sheikh Fahad Al-Sabah stated that allegations against Qatar were anti-Arab and anti-Muslim based. Also recall how Qatar reacted to the IOC when they scored higher than Rio on the initial evaluation report and were left off the short list saying the IOC "closed the door on the Arab World." That was just over the short list. Imagine how they'd react if their grand prize was suddenly stripped from them. Not sure what legal action they could take but there's no doubt Qatar would do everything possible to drag Blatter and FIFA down with the,.

Truly, this is beyond any reasonable doubt, the worst scandal in the history of football. What a disgrace, yet at the same time, i can't help but chuckle at watching this circus burn at last.

Y'know, I'm not going to disguise how much I'm enjoying all this.

And everytime I post we get more news filtering through. It's like Christmas!

Trinidad & Tobago attorney general tells Sky News that US officials this morning requested extradition of Jack Warner to New York

THAT I'd love to see! :lol:

Forgot to add this to my last post, but I wonder if the list of names could increase. I would think if one these FIFA cronies was facing a 20 year prison sentence for racketeering that they might name some other names (maybe even Blatter) in exchange for a reduced sentence

Amazing statement from UEFA. This is STRONG stuff from them:

Today’s events are a disaster for FIFA and tarnish the image of football as a whole.

UEFA is deeply shocked and saddened by them.

These events show, once again, that corruption is deeply rooted in FIFA’s culture.

There is a need for the whole of FIFA to be “rebooted” and for a real reform to be carried out.

The upcoming FIFA Congress risks to turn into a farce and therefore the European associations will have to consider carefully if they should even attend this Congress and caution a system, which, if it is not stopped, will ultimately kill football.

The UEFA member associations are meeting tomorrow ahead of the FIFA Congress. At that point, the European associations will decide on what further steps need to be taken to protect the game of football.

In the meantime, the members of the UEFA Executive Committee are convinced that there is a strong need for a change to the leadership of this FIFA and strongly believe that the FIFA Congress should be postponed, with new FIFA presidential elections to be organised within the next 6 months.
Edited by Rob.

Is UEFA withdrawal from FIFA possible soon?

Also, is it legally possible for the FBI or Switzerland's authorities to declare FIFA a criminal organisation, ie putting charges against FIFA itself, not just people, & therefore could they be shut down by the authorities?

I don't know anything about UEFA.

Any chance they are actually clean and "shocked" by all this? Or are the Captain Renaul in this scenario.

I think it was Greg Dyke (head of the FA) who said he can work happily with UEFA but FIFA is a personality cult these days.

UEFA itself is headed by Platini of course, who was seen as Blatter's natural successor for many years. And he voted for Qatar.

But UEFA contains the core of big European footballing nations who really are pushing for change and have been for a while.

So a bit of both I think. UEFA has its problems, but it is the least corrupt of the Federations (not sure that's saying much) and if change is to come from within then UEFA will be leading it.

Asian Football Confederation reiterates support for Blatter re-election on Friday

Of course they do!

That's not a shocker! I knew instantly this was going to be the reaction of some countries, and I can't really blame them either. To be honest, if I led a bid to host the games in 2022 and lost to the likes of Qatar I would go ape-s**t, flip every mattress in the world to find a sliver of corruption in their win at all costs. That seems a bit obsessive I know, but logically speaking there is absolutely no way that Qatar fairly won the right to host the games in 2022. And it's an added bonus if Russia ends up being collateral damage!

I'm actually very surprised Russia is going with the cold war / conspiracy theory angle. Their bid hasn't been directly accused of anything has it? It would seem far more sensible for them to take the same line as Blatter, spew some stuff out about being shocked and hoping anyone found guilty in FIFA is rooted out etc etc.

They've made themselves look guilty now.