Judgment Day for FIFA?

Soaring

Blatter has 133 votes from the first round, al-Hussein has 73. Nobody has a 2/3 majority, so there will be a second round where a simple majority will be enough.

Looks like Blatter has it in the bag.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Ali & Platini really think they could succeed in a vote? The only way to stop Blatter would have been boycotting the elections.

The Godfather is still the smartest when it comes to tactics.

I don't believd for a second UEFA will now take action.

Well now the ball is in UEFA's court (or field). If they really want to force meaningful change they need to go ahead and consider forming a breakaway federation with CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. Africa an Asia may have the numbers but the star power is in the aforementioned federations. That would be enough to get the crucial sponsorships. If it's all just a bluff then here's what likely plays out.

1. Blatter has already said the problem isn't with FIFA. It was with the voting for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. With those arrested, he'll proclaim FIFA clean and free of corruption.

2. Qatar and Russia keep their respective World Cups no matter how damaging the upcoming prosecutions might be. FIFA has already said there'd be no revote. Blatter's reelection confirms that, not to mention the potential political nightmares that would follow if FIFA dared tried to take away the WC from either Russia or especially Qatar.

3. It'll be business as usual and this will all be forgotten within a few weeks.

So what's it going to be? I think UEFA backs down.

My only consolation prize is that at least we'll see a purge of some of the most despicable members. But nothing will change much as long as the main corrupter is still on his feet.

Apparently in his acceptance speech hinted at changing the composition in the ExecCo, which is already interpreted as further reducing UEFA influence. He was quite specific about Oceania becoming more important according to a German journalist.

UEFA won't follow through on leaving FIFA or boycotting the World Cup because there's too much politically and economically at stake in relations with Russia and the Middle East. Not to mention the Qatari sponsorships in Spain, France and England.

Where I think FIFA is vulnerable is in the Americas. A ban on transfering players would hurt the Premier League badly, but Brazil, Argentina, etc would actually benefit from their players being unable to go to Europe. (The South American players themselves would lose a lot, but the countries would benefit.) I don't think Emirates, Gazprom, etc are major sponsors in South America either. And South America doesn't have the political concerns of dealing with Russia or North Africa and the Middle East that Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean respectively do.

The USA, Mexico and Canada are also relatively free from worry about potential suspension by FIFA. The USA is still a net importer of players, but the future of the sport in North America is not importing players like Steven Gerrard. It's the young American (and Canadian) players being developed domestically like Gyasi Zardes, Deandre Yedlin, etc. Freeing MLS from competition for young American players would almost certainly help the league more than a ban on bringing over players like Frank Lampard would hurt.

I've finally learned after today that FIFA, even if they change leadership, is totally corrupted to the very core. Not even the arrested people being kicked out of FIFA will fix things much.

FIFA needs to dissapear completly, and a new organization to be born from its ashes. One which truly cares for football and the fans.

More Indictments Expected in FIFA Case, I.R.S. Official Says

“I’m fairly confident that we will have another round of indictments,” said Richard Weber, the chief of the I.R.S. unit in charge of criminal investigations.

&

Federal authorities said the timing had nothing to do with the FIFA presidential vote and was not an effort to prevent Sepp Blatter, the longtime president, from being re-elected. Mr. Blatter, who was not charged in the case, won re-election Friday.

Mr. Weber would not identify the remaining targets of the federal investigation or say whether Mr. Blatter was among them. Mr. Weber said he understood that federal investigators, by publicly vowing to rid soccer of corruption, had raised expectations around the world. But he did not shy away from those expectations.

“We strongly believe there are other people and entities involved in criminal acts,” he said.

Very likely it went this way:

50 UEFA + 10 CONMEBOL + 10 CONCACAF + AUS + NZL + Jordan = 73 votes

As long as you control Asia and Africa like Blatter does there's no way you can lose.

And the difference of 60 votes were, obviously, from the African bloc and maybe CONMEBOL?

So, you got to hand it to Blatter; he's played his hand beautifully. But how much longer can he really rule and make decisions? And if he suddenly gets a heart attack or something like that, it's going to be a free-for-all!!

Thats it then for decades to come. They needed to get rid of him for a fresh start.

Now if he does actually not stand in 4 years time, his preferred candidate will get all his votes and so it goes on and on.

UEFA aren't going to pull out are they especially if its true the French, Spain and Italy voted for him. What spineless idiots.

Nothings changed in 17 years, so nothing will change in the next 4 years. Bad day for football, bad day for sport

And confirmed Germany, among other UEFA members, won't participate in the boycott against Blatter, according to news. So Germany, France, Spain and Italy leave alone England. Yeah, it won't change a lot.

In other aspect, I guess England wouldn't need to bother for another World Cup bid for a long time...

I am very dissapointed. Countries like St.Maarten or St.Lucia have more Power than strong football nations like Germany, England and Brazil.

And now the fu***** UEFA goes on as before, no one speaks about leaving the FIFA. Just heard that for the 2018 and 2022 WC, Europe will get their

13 Teams (plus Russia 2018). They got what they want, and go on with their dirty game.

I am so sick and tired of todays football! It´s all about money, everywhere. It would be so easy if Germany, France and Spain would stand side by side with England.

Leave the FIFA with Brazil,Argentina,USA,Mexiko and stage your own True World Championship.

RIP Football :angry:

Neither will the U.S. or Switzerland. Fairly certain that if any teams from either country qualify for WC events, their odds of any calls going their way are small.

Honestly, and maybe I'm overstating, but between the corruption in FIFA and the issues the IOC is having with getting viable hosts thanks to issues of their own making, what is out there in terms of international sporting events for us to even consider worth our time anymore?

Blatter also came down hard on UEFA. I'm sure somewhere Platini is saying "We don't like things in FIFA right now but they are a helluva lot better than the alternatives." Platini has no spine and us no better than Blatter. Blatter is stronger than ever now in FIFA and those who opposed him are likely to be regretting it (England and the USA)

Hello China 2026

Nope.

FIFA has just changed the rules for 2026, confirmed this morning. The previous host continent is unable to bid but the one before that CAN bid. So Asia cannot host 2026 but Europe is back in the picture.

Archived