Judgment Day for FIFA?

Soaring

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Hayatou was one of the ones arrested.

The IOC needs to move quickly and decisively to expel Blatter and Hayatou and to threaten football from the Olympics including Rio. Germany, France and Britain need to gain access to the American criminal investigation and use the information and assorted crimes committed on their territory to be brought to prosecution. The Swiss need to aggressively follow the American lead in going after FIFA and its financials.

But who am I kidding. None of that will happen, FIFA will disavow those arrested as lone criminals abusing their position and that corruption and graft aren't institutional. FIFA will treat them like yesterday's trash like they did with Adamu, Teixeiria and the guy from Tahiti. And finally FIFA will just move themselves to Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Manama or Doha just like the ICC did so they are out of reach of American and Swiss criminal prosecution.

I wonder what this will do to the Women's World Cup. It is in Canada and we have extensive extradition treaties with our American neighbors. Blatter might be a no show.

Overheard interview on ABC here in Oz that this is a potentially 'terminal' undermining of Qatar 2022.

There is still time, give it to South Korea.

lolno. The US will rightfully host the games if/when Qatar is stripped of the games. No construction costs needed, all stadiums being used will be 50k+ capacity, we have the record for the most tickets sold in a world cup, a record that has been unmatched for more than 20 years.

And this is the news that brought me back here! Enjoyed reading the ABC article on the subject!

Statement from Swiss authorities....

...In the Swiss criminal proceedings, opened by the OAG on 10 March 2015, it is suspected that irregularities occurred in the allocation of the FIFA World Cups of 2018 and 2022. The corresponding unjust enrichment is suspected to have taken place at least partly in Switzerland. Furthermore, the head office of the damaged party, FIFA, is in Switzerland. For these reasons, investigations are being carried out on the suspicion of criminal mismanagement (Article 158 under 1, Section 3 Swiss Criminal Code / SCC). There are also suspicions of money laundering through Swiss bank accounts (Article 305bis, SCC). Subsequently to today’s seizure of files, the OAG and the Swiss Federal Criminal Police will be questioning 10 persons who took part in voting on the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups as members of the Executive Committee in 2010. These persons should be questioned as persons providing information...

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-57391.html

The feds mean business:

“Today’s announcement should send a message that enough is enough,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Currie. “After decades of what the indictment alleges to be brazen corruption, organized international soccer needs a new start – a new chance for its governing institutions to provide honest oversight and support of a sport that is beloved across the world, increasingly so here in the United States. Let me be clear: this indictment is not the final chapter in our investigation.”

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Finally, the way we were all waiting for this circus to burn has finally come.

As much as I hate IOC now i still believe in a tiny ray of hope. I was done with FIFA the day they picked...ugh...that country, to host the 2022 cup.

Trying to not hope for too much, cause we all know that Blatter will be hard to take down. Let's hope Qatar gets stripped off its hosting rights, it's probably too late for Russia.

Loretta Lynch: "The investigation has been started in 1991"

Loretta Lynch: "We're in the process to arrest more acussed people"

Loretta Lynch: "We're determined to put an end once and for all to FIFA's corruption"

Dear god. I think this is finally it. It's the day we've all been waiting for.

All hail Hagrid-I mean, Chuck Blazer. His snitch will never be forgotten.

0012711217.jpg

Dear god, this is a huge mess. Presidents-expresidents from FA all around Latin America have been implicated.

Even the president of my country association, Rafael Esquivel, has been arrested. I wonder what Maduro's going to say about it. Knowing him he might say it was all a plot of the evil American Empire to rob the hosting from Russia or some other conspiracy crap.

Trying to not hope for too much, cause we all know that Blatter will be hard to take down. Let's hope Qatar gets stripped off its hosting rights, it's probably too late for Russia.

Probably not. The US could easily host 2018 instead of waiting for 2022 in hosting if Russia somehow (more than likely not) gets stripped of hosting duties. And there are a good number of countries that are fully capable of hosting in 2022 without much, if any, construction costs. Great Britain/United Kingdom can enter a bid to host those games if the US takes on 2018, and the UK being a huge soccer/football country, it has a lot of the facilities already in place.

The russian butthurt is going to be satisfying and delicious if this happens, though, but I think its hard considering they already started building the venues. Stripping Qatar is what i think most of us are expecting to happen.

Lol, Figo retired his bid to be the president some days ago. Makes you wonder if he knew this earthquake was coming.

Archived