Sign in to follow this  
runningrings

Tokyo 2020 official logo

With this logo though I'm finding it hard to get any "feeling" for it. It's smart, yes. It's well balanced, yes. But I don't have strong feeling about it positive or negative. It doesn't repulse or excite.

So yeah. Very much waiting to see how the Look develops. Based on this logo it could end up being very dry and corporate, or - hopefully - it could look smart and minimalist. 50/50 right now on which way it goes.

I agree - it is very dry - corporate...

You mention one of the biggest 'minuses' for me - it doesn't create a feeling - it could be the logo of an insurance!!! I think that is comparable with the opinion of Danny's colleague from the graphics department...

The font "Tokyo 2020" isn't the same serif-sized than the "logo"...

Well, so far it seems we're seeing a divisive logo, judging for the comments here. Tokyo logo is going to be another "you either gonna love it or hate it" kind of one. They usually release PDF files showing all the versions on which the logo will come out, so lets wait and see for the official monochrome one.

I too loved Rio logo, but i'll repeat it again, they played it safe after the bad reception of London brand, and though its colorful and everything it was pretty much a sendback to the 00's and late 90's. Not that its a bad thing, but a bit of change never hurts.

It's hard to compare this to rio because they come from totally different places, different cultures. I like this logo because it's simple, because it's not trying to take the motif of Olympics and shove it down our throats. I like it because it isn't just the rising sun, nor is it just a cherry blossom. It's something new, and we shouldn't expect the same ideas reiterated every four years for a logo. My advice is give it time, and it'll likely develop through marketing and whatever else into a very iconic logo.

• Like 2

And unlike Pyeongchang, on which you had to know Hangul in order to understand what the hell were those stick figures, you inmediatly see the T logo and the rising sun here. (also if you join the triangular shapes at each corner, it also kinda looks like Mt. Fuji)

Everybody questioning here: "Why there is a L on the logo"?

Tokyo Logo maybe?

It's hard to compare this to rio because they come from totally different places, different cultures. I like this logo because it's simple, because it's not trying to take the motif of Olympics and shove it down our throats. I like it because it isn't just the rising sun, nor is it just a cherry blossom. It's something new, and we shouldn't expect the same ideas reiterated every four years for a logo. My advice is give it time, and it'll likely develop through marketing and whatever else into a very iconic logo.

yea, i agree.

To me, pure from design aspect, based from the principle and the system, it is just plain bad.

But the more i look of it, the more of i find the uniqueness of it, it is something different allright. And i do too think the 2012 logo to be good, especially when i see explainantion from the guys at Wally Ollins and the amazing variation and implemantion of it.

Let just wait and see.

----------

Anyway, they create competition for this right?

I like the logo very much. There is a retro vibe to it, but better executed than the Vasarely-style Torino logo.

I don't like the choice of font, though.

the atrocities of Nagano, even if they were very liked on their native country they were even featured at condom bags. No, really)

I liked the 4 snowlets of Nagano. They were drawn in the same cubist/cartoon style as Barcelona's Cobi (which I wasn't too crazy about).

^^ Torino brand is still an all time favorite of mine though, my favorite WOG brand to this day. Even if i wasn't a big fan of its logo.

I liked the 4 snowlets of Nagano. They were drawn in the same cubist/cartoon style as Barcelona's Cobi (which I wasn't too crazy about).

They were kind of cute, but it was hard to tell sometimes if they were owls. Plus i didn't liked how everyone in the 90's (except Lillehammer) tried to copy Cobi sucess. It seemed very obvious they tried to imitate it.

• Like 1

This logo is so staid. No movement; no excitement. OK, a few layers of depth (even the 20-20 is stretching it a bit). And the colors put you to sleep. Imagine, paying $75 million just to attach to that thing. I wonder if they even test-marketed this design with the sponsors they've lined up so far.

I agree - it is very dry - corporate...

True, but at the same time that makes it very Japanese and completely different from Rio.

Apart from the font, I like what we've seen so far. Already looking forward to the pictograms and the mascot.

the are two side to japan. there the traditional and the fun wierd anime. i wished they merged they merged the two to make a better logo.

and to add to the dry corporate feel of it, the olympic logo looks like the roman numeral 1 and the paralympic looks like numeral 2

Damn it grows on me already. And i can just foresee how the look of the games, simple, very swiss-international style, munich 72 style something like that

I love the experimentation of the shape, especially when it comes to motion, what's the term of it, "Gestalt" style?

• Like 2

the are two side to japan. there the traditional and the fun wierd anime. i wished they merged they merged the two to make a better logo.

and to add to the dry corporate feel of it, the olympic logo looks like the roman numeral 1 and the paralympic looks like numeral 2

Actually i dont know if you knew this but there is also a considerable part in Japan which don't look at anime very favorably (despite its fans, myself included) and that seems to englobe the government (the former mayor of Tokyo, Ishihara, hated anime with a passion).

You kind of have to look at the blank space within the square (I guess??) of the logo as its own part like the black, and like with London or Sochi they reiterated the Olympic logo by shifting colors, in this case the white and black are switched. I suppose it's showing the "Team" aspect that the Olympics and Paralympics are on equal ground and share the same values.

And I think having used an anime theme for the logo and brand would had been a bit too much and stereotypical, if you ask me.

Eh its okay I guess....could be worse. Looks like they slapped a bunch of shapes on and called it a day. Once the symbolism is revealed I'll probably like it more.

Eh its okay I guess....could be worse. Looks like they slapped a bunch of shapes on and called it a day. Once the symbolism is revealed I'll probably like it more.

^^ They've just said so far the Olympic logo is meant to represent the letter T, which goes for Tokyo, Team, and Tomorrow. The Paralympic one is the = symbol for Equality.

Also, although its not mentined, its obvious the red dot stands for the Rising Sun.

By the way, if T also stands for Tomorrow, i guess this also means they will reuse the motto of the bid, right? (Discover Tomorrow)?

If you go on their website and to the emblem page and scroll down, you get a good amount of detail about what they did and why.

Actually i dont know if you knew this but there is also a considerable part in Japan which don't look at anime very favorably (despite its fans, myself included) and that seems to englobe the government (the former mayor of Tokyo, Ishihara, hated anime with a passion).

this from a country that does this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2XQ_kmBuw

my problem with the logo is it lack spirit and/of fun. adding anime might have saved it

Thanks, phandrosis. I'll put it here for those lazy to go there

about03.jpg

this from a country that does this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2XQ_kmBuw

my problem with the logo is it lack spirit and/of fun. adding anime might have saved it

Speaking about it, right now the characters from the Youkai Watch anime/videogame are inmensely popular at this moment and promoting several brands in Japan (Jibanyan even met the governor of the state of Hawaii. I wonder if their popularity will last enough for 2020?

yokai.jpg

I remember they reused a Sanrio character as a mascot for the 2006 Basket World Cup, so anything goes :lol:

Thanks, phandrosis. I'll put it here for those lazy to go there

about03.jpg

Yeah, alright then. I don't mind elements "representing" things or having a backstory that needs explanation IF the design works in its own right without it all. Such explanation should be the cherry on top of the cake, not the cake itself.

Wish I could get more excited about this logo.

:mellow: