• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://tokyo2020.jp/en/emblem/

I like it. Being a regular visitor to Tokyo and knowing it's skyline and the colours of the cityscape it just works. It is industrial, perhaps even with a touch of steampunk. I think as westerners

You guys better quit this crap now before me or one of the other mods puts an end to this.

^^ I guess we already know what will be the common comparison on its native land, now :lol:

Much like how Rio logos were compared by some brazilians with cockrings.

Like it - like the symmetry between the Olympic logo and the Paralympic logo (as RobH pointed out) & really like how the pattern works online in the videos. It's quite classy I guess and the colour palate is totally different to any other one we've seen. Don't like the font though - seems to jar a bit!

It also reminds me of some wallpaper that my parents had in the 70's! LOL!

To me, it is underwhelming

In term of design, it somehow takes note from the work of Ikko tanaka, Japan prolific designer from the 1970-1980, just like this:

japan12_0.jpg

and like what one forumer above said, "like 1970 wallpaper", because the design style used in the logo is "international style" famous in 1970-1980.

----

What i really hate about this logo design is that, it tries to take notes from history, but it is so dependance on it, that the result is so last-decade. Adding to that, it lost the obligatory design principle to make this logo good, like harmony, rhythm, and to the irony, unity.

• Like 2

To me, it is underwhelming

--------

In term of design, it somehow takes note from the work of Ikko tanaka, Japan prolific designer from the 1970-1980, just like this:

japan12_0.jpg

and like what one forumer above said, "like 1970 wallpaper", because the design style used in the logo is "international style" famous in 1970-1980.

------

What i really hate about this logo design is that, it tries to take notes from history, but it is so dependance on it, that the result is so last-decade. Adding to that, it lost the obligatory design principle to make this logo good, like harmony, rhythm, and to the irony, unity.

Paralympic version struggling a bit in monochrome?

tokyo-bw.gif

If they do it like that it will struggle. I suspect they'll choose to use lighter greys than that (I assume that image is something you made not official).

Underwhelming -- and conveying concepts in a very un-Japanesy way. And the whole Team-Tokyo-Tomorrow theme just doesn't convey a special gathering like an Olympic Games.

Give me the Mikado anytime. I much prefer the wreath logo they had. Another "C" for effort.

Less is...just less.

Maybe the Stadium brohaha was a dry-run. Perhaps there'll be a big outcry against this -- and they'll take it back down as well.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's interesting, but just does not scream Tokyo or the Olympics. Very Mid-Century and while that's not bad, try and put words into action and create the future. Also TBH just seems boring, lacks color or energy. Cold Corporate and a huge let down from Rio. Though I do like how they used the shapes in different positions to make some cool images. It's just boring...yawn.

The curves were there to make a Cherry blossom...just saying.

• Like 1

Normally I know what I think of a logo pretty much straight away. Rio, Sochi and London I liked from the off and still like. Vancouver and Pyeonchang I never liked and still don't like.

With this logo though I'm finding it hard to get any "feeling" for it. It's smart, yes. It's well balanced, yes. But I don't have strong feeling about it positive or negative. It doesn't repulse or excite.

So yeah. Very much waiting to see how the Look develops. Based on this logo it could end up being very dry and corporate, or - hopefully - it could look smart and minimalist. 50/50 right now on which way it goes.

• Like 1

Ew... For Japan, home of amazing art, culture, inovation. Home of many of my childhood heroes, cartoons. Home of more than thousand years history, it's pretty disappointing...

I think it's far worse than London... The colors, the meaning (?), the concept, gosh...

It makes me remembers some of the non-winners of GB's logo comps... *facepalm*

A colleague here at graphics department said: "looks like some book publisher logo from the 1970's" - touché!

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I forgot to say this, but did you noticed they reused the song of the Bid presentation back in 2013? (And they also reused the heartbeat theme from said video)

So far, they've made awful design choices. The stadium, now this. God knows what the Mascots and the Medals will look like -- or God forbid their Opening Ceremony. That's why I've never liked Japan as a modern 'westernized' nation. Doesn't compute.

OK, got the "L" , "I" and the"T" --- Lost In Translation. LOL!!

MV5BMTI2NDI5ODk4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTI3

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Every logo must have negative-postive space system to overcome its implemantion on every possible media

And this logo comes very difficult, not only it becomes "something new"-creating a whole new visual meaning, Outline must be added to its overlapping shapes in paralympic logo :wacko::wacko:

logo_negative.jpg

logo_positive.jpg

This is an example of a bad logo.

So far, they've made awful design choices. The stadium, now this. God knows what the Mascots and the Medals will look like -- or God forbid their Opening Ceremony. That's why I've never liked Japan as a modern 'westernized' nation. Doesn't compute.

OK, got the "L" and the"T" --- Lost in Translation. LOL!!

MV5BMTI2NDI5ODk4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTI3

At least they redeemed themselves and kicked away the uglyass design of the stadium already. As for the mascots, expect something minimal (I just hope its better than the atrocities of Nagano, even if they were very liked on their native country they were even featured at condom bags. No, really)