Tokyo 2020 official logo

Dakooo, Can You Think on What Would The New Emblems Look Like Next Spring? I Know The "T" Shape Olympic Emblem & The "=" Sign Paralympic Emblem Didn't Work Out.

First of all, sorry for that last line in my post. I thought I had deleted it but it had dropped a line.

Secondly, stop stating the obvious. It's really annoying and obnoxious

I you didn't already see, the official Emblem Contest began today. Here's a link to the rules and regulations (english).

http://emblem.tokyo2020.jp/en/guidelines_EN.pdf

We've also been provided with hi-res Olympic and Paralympic symbols, and also a template to show how the logo will be used in real life to avoid any more controversy, as shown below.

ICqK7Ov.jpg3diiB7C.jpg

SoqHsB1.jpg8xWypg2.jpg

B0Men70.jpg9KHrPET.jpg

tjVN8vM.jpg

Finally, something I thought was funny, is the 6th example of what not to do. I suppose it's best to avoid the same thing... ;)

zRH1xjg.png

https://tokyo2020.jp/en/emblem-selection/

• Like 2

I you didn't already see, the official Emblem Contest began today. Here's a link to the rules and regulations (english).

http://emblem.tokyo2020.jp/en/guidelines_EN.pdf

We've also been provided with hi-res Olympic and Paralympic symbols, and also a template to show how the logo will be used in real life to avoid any more controversy, as shown below.

ICqK7Ov.jpg3diiB7C.jpg

SoqHsB1.jpg8xWypg2.jpg

B0Men70.jpg9KHrPET.jpg

tjVN8vM.jpg

Finally, something I thought was funny, is the 6th example of what not to do. I suppose it's best to avoid the same thing... ;)

zRH1xjg.png

https://tokyo2020.jp/en/emblem-selection/

Nice guide. I must keep it for the logo comp.

Interesting the recent logos that would have broke the rules. London's would have broken the "don't group composition elements" and " ensure the Olympic Rings are not significantly smaller" rules. And Tokyo's tentative "T" is not allowed now.

Edited by Sir Rols

They're making the same mistake as vancover and worse, offering half the prize money the canadians did more than a decade ago. I suppose they'll wheel out the line about TOCOG being a non profit organisation too.

This from a decade ago is just as relevant now...

http://louiseaird.com/2013/06/19/the-olympic-logo-design-competition-a-definite-no-no/

Edited by Rob.

They're making the same mistake as vancover and worse, offering half the prize money the canadians did more than a decade ago. I suppose they'll wheel out the line about TOCOG being a non profit organisation too.

This from a decade ago is just as relevant now...

http://louiseaird.com/2013/06/19/the-olympic-logo-design-competition-a-definite-no-no/

Perhaps if the Japanese Government held this comp instead of TOCOG could it change your thoughts about this???

So it's all about the money? I'm sure more than a few graphic artists would like the reputation boost of having designed an Olympic logo.

Or maybe you're right, no professionals will bother and we only get to see more of those crappy fan-made creations that have been circulating online.

So it's all about the money? I'm sure more than a few graphic artists would like the reputation boost of having designed an Olympic logo.

That's not the point.

It's not all about the money it's about paying people what they are worth and about respecting the profession. You're saying graphic artists should bow down and just be grateful for the opportunity? :( That they should spend hours and hours of their time working for free coming up with two logos AND a bespoke typeface (this is what TOCOG is asking for) on the small chance they might win?

Nobody would dream of putting that kind of proposal to professional stadium architects - saying to them "so it's all about the money? You don't want the boost to your reputation then?"

Nobody would say that to landscapers, or security experts, or transport bosses or anyone else working on an Olympics either. There's no question about paying these people what they're worth and it shouldn't be any different for creatives. I'm not having a go at you per se, because the idea of the starving artist just being happy people are seeing their work is somehow ingrained in our culture.

Thing is, TOCOG had a chance to do the right thing with such a high profile project. Instead, they've chosen to perpetuate the idea that creatives should just be grateful people are looking at their work and that payment for their time is somehow optional. That's a bit sad, especially for an organisation as wealthy and high-profile as them.

And really, if they wanted to showcase up and coming designers - instead of hiring a huge international agency like London 2012 did for their brand design - Tokyo could've commissioned 5 or 6 small agencies to come up with a working concept, paid them all for their time and chosen the best to work with them going forward. That could've been a smart way to do things.

Wow, that turned into more of a rant than I expected. But I'm not wrong. :P

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

I guess I understand where they're coming from in a way, since they lost a bunch of money with the old emblem. You think with all those sponsors that wouldn't matter but who knows what really goes on in TOCOG. Maybe, just maybe, TOCOG now assumes that since they've opened up the contest to everybody, they don't need to pay the required price for a valued designer. That's just what I think they're thinking at this moment.

I guess I understand where they're coming from in a way, since they lost a bunch of money with the old emblem. You think with all those sponsors that wouldn't matter but who knows what really goes on in TOCOG. Maybe, just maybe, TOCOG now assumes that since they've opened up the contest to everybody, they don't need to pay the required price for a valued designer. That's just what I think they're thinking at this moment.

They didn't just lose money, they lost face (as they did with the stadium design too). This competition sems to be an act of revenge against the professionals.

They didn't just lose money, they lost face (as they did with the stadium design too). This competition sems to be an act of revenge against the professionals.

Sorry, but I think I might have missed the memo about contest entrants being locked up in a dungeon until someone comes up with something usable.