Tokyo 2020 official logo

n-logo-a-20150801-870x408.jpg

Handout images show (from left) emblems created by Spain’s Hey Studio, the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee and Olivier Debie for a Belgian theater. | KYODO

News source:The Japan Times

Jan.,27,2016

Link:http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/01/27/national/crime-legal/belgian-designer-drops-suit-tokyo-2020-olympics-logo-cites-legal-costs/#.VqlQWfmLTIU

Yeah, I wondered if Debie/TdeL realized the cost of a global suit + the fact that Tokyo 2020 did NOT make any money off of the design. I think it really was an honest oversight on Tokyo 2020's part ( and only because the TdeL's logo also was NOT a registered trademark) which they quickly withdrew anyway. So, all's fair -- no harm, no foul.

(A judge would probably have admonished TdeL , why didn't you register your logo? And Debie and TdeL would then respond, "Well, we are a non-profit. So our funds are limited." But then an unintended copy comes up and you want to protect your trademark?)

Lesson : register your trademarks, even for a small fee, so that something like this won't happen.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 1 month later...

New Olympic, Paralympic logos to be announced on April 25 at earliest

The logos for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics are scheduled to be announced as early as April 25, it was learned from various sources Friday.

Four designs were short-listed in January by the organizing committee’s Emblem Selection Committee. The process of investigating the designs and registering them as trademarks is currently underway.

The selection committee is seeking to publish the four designs on April 8. The public will have around 10 days to weigh in on the different designs through the web or by postcard, with any opinions received being considered when the committee makes its final choice.

Kyodo

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/03/26/national/new-olympic-paralympic-logos-to-be-announced-on-april-25-at-earliest/#.VvZcUXr5YkF

• 2 weeks later...

ShortlistedEmblems_A.jpg

A. Harmonized chequered emblem

Chequered patterns have been popular in many countries around the world throughout history. In Japan, the chequered pattern became formally known as “ichimatsu moyo” in the Edo period (1603-1867), and this chequered design in the traditional Japanese colour of indigo blue expresses a refined elegance and sophistication that exemplifies Japan.
Composed of three varieties of rectangular shapes, the design represents different countries, cultures and ways of thinking. It incorporates the message of “unity in diversity”. It also expresses that the Olympic and Paralympic Games seek to promote diversity as a platform to connect the world.

ShortlistedEmblems_B.jpg

B. Connecting Circle, Expanding Harmony

This design expresses the connection between the dynamism of the athletes and the joy of the spectators, and the expansion of peace and harmony throughout the world.
It seeks to encompass mental and physical strength, dynamic movement and speed, and the euphoric emotions that the world derives from outstanding athletic performances.
The design also expresses the respect and warm hospitality that will be accorded to visitors from around the world to the Tokyo 2020 Games.

ShortlistedEmblems_C.jpg

C. Surpassing One’s Personal Best

These emblems were inspired by the traditional Wind God and the Thunder God, and seek to convey dynamic movement at the instant an athlete breaks the tape on the finish line. They also represent athletes as they endeavour to attain and surpass their personal best.
The Wind God and the Thunder God have been much loved by the people of Japan for centuries. (e.g. the famous painting by the early 17th century Japanese artist Tawaraya Sotatsu, and the statues of these Gods at the Kaminari-mon Gate in Tokyo’s Asakusa district)
In the original depiction, the taiko drums held by the Thunder God are represented by fireworks, while the Wind Cloth held by the Wind God is replaced by the portrayal of a rainbow to symbolise the concepts of peace, diversity and harmony.
The emblems also express the athletes’ continued contribution to peace through their mental and physical tenacity, and a connection to the future.

ShortlistedEmblems_D.jpg

D. Flowering of Emotions

The morning glory flower as it faces up towards the heavens to greet the new morning, expresses the faces of athletes striving to attain a personal best and the bright faces of people as they applaud the athletes. The upward-looking morning glory also represents the climax of this range of emotions.
The seed of the morning glory sprouts, the vine grows, and the flower opens,—the process of the flower growing and eventually returning to seed conveys the sense of expectation for the Games and succession to the next generation.
This flower was particularly popular during Japan's Edo period (1603-1867), and remains a firm favourite (e.g. as subject for “Ukiyoe” prints.)
It signifies a heightened sense of anticipation towards the 2020 Games and the warm welcome that visitors from around the world will receive.

My personal favorite is D. A seems a little too colorless, the balance in B is kind of off and I don't understand what the Paralympic logo is there, and C is Beijing.

• Like 3

These really do remind me of those 10 logos we got as possibles for Beijing 2008, they have the same feel about them, only problem is it's the year 2016.

These are visually nice, but don't have an overly high impact to me.

A,C, and D are boring. I like B and I think it's an OK logo for Tokyo 2020.

D appears to be the most popular one so far. It's garnering the most retweets and the comments are overwhelmingly positive compared to the three others.

But morning glory never surpass beauty of Sakura. I really miss TOKYO 2020 candidate logo.

You can send your comments at TOKYO 2020's site.

Link: https://www.emblem-comments.jp/

My opinions:

A

It looks Japanese indeed. I find it a bit busy but empty at the same time, as if there was something missing. Perhaps it would work better with a different font as this one is too simple. Not bad at all, but not overly exciting either.

B

This one looks Asian, especially the Paralympic emblem, although the colour combination makes me think of South East Asia rather than Japan. I like the font, it's simple but very Japanese. Same as A, it's not a bad design, but I feel it lacks something.

(The fact that A and B are based on a circumference might be detrimental for both. Luckily for them, there won't be a public ballot where votes could be divided.)

C

The concept of these logos is my favourite. I agree that they may remind of Beijing, but that's a minor issue IMO as long as they aren't a clear copy. The biggest disadvantage that I find are the colours. As they are now, they scream France and Italy. The font could be improved too. If they changed these two things, I wouldn't mind them to be the final logos. And if they're not chosen as the logos, or even if they are, I'd like them to use this very same concept for the mascots. They could be depicted manga-style so that they represent both traditional and modern Japan. That would also make two similar mascots that complement each other like London and Rio instead of the family of mascots that I'm fearing...

D

I like the concept of these logos too, but, again, the colours need a change because the Olympic logo looks like the flag of Argentina. The Paralympic logo is nice too, but the sun doesn't convince me either, I still associate it with Argentina and Uruguay. I also like the font very much, in this sense it's probably the best of the four candidates. If they redesign the sun and change some of the colours (why not something more pink?), they could be good logos.

Really disappointed with all the designs. Looks very retrogade and not very original. Quite amateurish, like designed by one of GamesBids logo competition (no offence). I wished they stick with the previous design. It was modern clean and versatile. Honestly dont think it's plagiarism, more of a coincidence. Tokyo 2020 has turned out to be a disaster from stadium to logo design.

I wonder if the organiser actually consider the wider usage of the logo look in other application? This is a crucial factor in an Olympic logo these days. That they have to be versatile enough to morph into different forms in other medias. None of the four shortlist design looks versatile to me. Have a look at the original design below - its brilliance is in its versatility to create countless shapes and geometry to work with the whole branding. Another mistake by Tokyo 2020 to shortlist these four uninspiring design by amateur.

http://brainmag.sendenkaigi.com/post/126095896555/kenjiro-sano-explained-making-processes-of-the

http://www.designboom.com/design/tokyo-2020-olympics-logo-kenjiro-sano-07-24-2015/

tumblr_inline_nspu80gzdg1twooo5_500.jpg

tokyo2020_olympics_logo_db041-818x435.jptokyo2020_olympics_logo_db07-818x458.jpg

• Like 1

D, without doubt. The others are a bit meh for my personal taste, A is hideous, B looks a lot like the former GB logo like some people already said. I somewhat noticed the Thunder/lightning gods motif on C but i think its execution was poor.