Tokyo 2020 official logo

The two are a bit different, if my memory serves me well. The chamois was indeed part of the Albertville segment of the Calgary 88 closing ceremony and was intended as an official mascot. The Nagano mascot was only shown during the bidding phase as far as I remember and never shown again after Nagano got the Games. I consider it as a rare example of "bid mascot" like you have a bid emblem (have there been others ?).

That being said I strongly doubt that Albertville 92 had focus groups with the kids. More likely than a guy from the French government told the COJO that the mascot was "too Disney".

You're right...or more probably when the Albertville co-chairmen, Killy and the other guy, came on board, that's when Chamois was dropped -- for whatever reason and they came up with the weird Magique. I thought Chamois was so Savoie (and I don't know what Winter Games have used the mountain goat as an Official mascot. I think there's one out there....)

The two are a bit different, if my memory serves me well. The chamois was indeed part of the Albertville segment of the Calgary 88 closing ceremony and was intended as an official mascot. The Nagano mascot was only shown during the bidding phase as far as I remember and never shown again after Nagano got the Games. I consider it as a rare example of "bid mascot" like you have a bid emblem (have there been others ?).

That being said I strongly doubt that Albertville 92 had focus groups with the kids. More likely than a guy from the French government told the COJO that the mascot was "too Disney".

1992albertvillechamoiscalgary.jpg

you are right...there he is in Calgary

..i never heard of him but he was really so cute!

Also, I wonder what Debie thinks, now that he won't be seeing a single cent from this. Of course, there's the matter of defending one's artistic work and its integrity, but I wonder if this whole thing was worth it for him.

.....he was stupid to respond too quickly, had he waited for a while he might have got a big payout. the 2020 logo felt a lot more influenced by the Penguin Books graphic artist's work than by that theatre logo......even the gold color, flow/placement of component shapes and proportion has the same feel as this. But i for 1 luved the 2020 T logo...too bad....so long.

DPj2g9E.jpgtokyo_2020_olympics_logo_detail.png

....it's really too bad, that thing and the graphic language built around it was gorgeous, had so much potential and class.

I also think this is good news... i really didn't like that logo, i also hope they reconsider the font design (which usually becomes official font of Olympics) it's too generic

I found the logo a little underwhelming but I'm not pleased they're replacing it.

If they genuinely have to replace it becuase of this legal threat then that's embarrassing but fair enough.

If they're using this story as a convenient cover to drop a design because the public reception wasn't great, it shows they lack the courage of their convictions. That wouldn't bode well.

I found the logo a little underwhelming but I'm not pleased they're replacing it.

If they genuinely have to replace it becuase of this legal threat then that's embarrassing but fair enough.

If they're using this story as a convenient cover to drop a design because the public reception wasn't great, it shows they lack the courage of their convictions. That wouldn't bode well.

I think it was a bit of both. There was a change the IOC/TOCOG would be paying $50,000 for every time the logo is used, so I imagine they wanted to avoid that. Sano was the one (reportedly) who asked that his logos be withdrawn, as they would continue to give the games bad PR.

I don't really mind that

I don't really mind that if it's lack of courge, if anything knowing Japanese i think local opinions (which i don't know) was more impactful then from outside

This Might Take A While.

I was thinking about that. They'll have a year:

1. Probably run it through Jan 31st. Then

2. winnow down the entries to 3 or 4 pairings

3. Hopefully, vet those through a THOROUGH int'l IP seach (allow 60 days for that),Feb - April 2016

4. By late April 2016 (or whenever the IOC and IPC executive Boards meet at around that time); run it by them.

5. Come to an equivocal, final decision by June; incorporate it into the Handover segment to be

6. unveiled in late August 2016 in Rio.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Quick... everyone make a design and copyright it so that whatever they come up with will look similar to yours!

But it must have a financial application too (i.e., that it is legitimately being used in business and can mean increased or lost revenues). Won't work if it's just a registered design that sits in your drawer.

A couple news stories dealing with the aftermath.

Tokyo Olympic committee scraps emblemsThe organizers of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics have decided to withdraw the controversial emblems designed by Japanese art director Kenjiro Sano.

Last month, a Belgian graphic designer filed a lawsuit demanding that the International Olympic Committee ban the use of the emblems, citing their resemblance to a theater logo he created in 2013.

Sano was also suspected of using images on the Internet without permission for materials that showed how his emblems would be displayed.

Sano denied plagiarizing the theater logo but admitted to copying online images when he was questioned by the committee on Tuesday morning.

After holding an emergency meeting later in the day, the committee announced that it had officially decided to retract the Olympic and Paralympic emblems designed by Sano. The committee said the logos cannot gain the backing of the public.

It is highly unusual for Olympic emblems to be withdrawn after their official unveiling.

The committee says it will choose new designs as soon as possible after publicly inviting entries. It adds that it will make the selection process more open.

I'm not quite sure what he means by publicly inviting entries since the original competition was in a way public.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150901_45.html

Designer in Belgium comments on logo scrappingA graphic designer in Belgium says Japan's decision to scrap the logo for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is in line with his request.

Olivier Debie filed a lawsuit in August against the International Olympic Committee, seeking to halt its use of the emblem created by Japanese designer Kenjiro Sano. He says Sano's logo closely resembles one of his designs.

Debie told NHK on Tuesday he was surprised that the Tokyo organizers have acknowledged the problem.

He referred to the organizers' announcement that the emblem does not plagiarize his design. He said he is not convinced as the organizers have failed to clearly explain their reasoning.

Debie said he will not consider withdrawing the lawsuit with a Belgian court until he confirms the IOC's position at the first hearing scheduled for September 22nd.

It seems that he wants the IOC to say that Sano plagarized him. I don't know how well that will work out...

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150902_06.html

Logo change to create additional costsThe organizers of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics will face additional costs after withdrawing the emblems.

They said on Tuesday that they had decided to stop using the logos designed by Japanese art director Kenjiro Sano.

The organizers said they would not pay Sano the prize money of one million yen, or about 8,300 dollars, adding that the impact of scrapping the logos will be limited.

But it has been revealed that the organizers allowed the production of posters, clothing and other goods bearing the emblems even after the alleged problems emerged.

They may now face lawsuits for damages from sponsor companies that have used the scrapped logos in their advertising.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150902_04.html

IOC official comments on logo decisionA senior International Olympic Committee official says the IOC understands the decision as the emblems have been criticized in Japan.

IOC Vice-President John Coates said on Tuesday that the organizers told the IOC they had decided to stop using the logos for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.

Coates said the IOC has been informed by the organizers that they will hold a competition for new designs.

Coates said he thinks it will take several months before the results are available. But he added that this will pose no problem as the Games are 5 years away.

He reiterated the IOC's view that the emblems are the original work of Japanese art director Kenjiro Sano.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150902_01.html

No long term problem here with so many years to go. No one but us will remember this drama by the next Games.

I think they should unveil logos at the closing ceremony, to make the handover a bigger highlight. Also this 'Olympiad' of 4 years is Rios, the logo for the next Games shouldn't be seen until the Rio Games, and the use of the Rio logo, is over. Then Tokyo takes over.

• Like 2

The handover ceremony is more or less the same distance from now as the original contest was from whenever in July it was released. I feel like they should release it a bit before, though, as to not steal the thunder of the closing ceremony, especially on Japanese TV where instead of focusing on the performance people will be looking for the logo alone. I feel like they would want the logo on apparel for the Japanese athletes to wear at the closing, like Russia and I think Korea did at their respective winter handovers.

I think they should unveil logos at the closing ceremony, to make the handover a bigger highlight. Also this 'Olympiad' of 4 years is Rios, the logo for the next Games shouldn't be seen until the Rio Games, and the use of the Rio logo, is over. Then Tokyo takes over.

Well, that WAS the old tradition. I think it was Sydney that was the first to break the pattern. I'm sure someone here can confirm if that's right or not. It'd be good to go back to the closing ceremony unveiling. I'm sure there's marketing reasons for the change, but I think the old way would make more impact.

I also think this is good news... i really didn't like that logo, i also hope they reconsider the font design (which usually becomes official font of Olympics) it's too generic

YESSSSSS!!! It's 2020 (or will be). They can be so much more creative with the font styles than just plain fonts from Microsoft Word

Conditions may be eased for Olympic logo contestThe organizers of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics are considering easing conditions for applicants to enter the design competition for a new set of logos for the Games.

The organizing committee decided on Tuesday to retract the previously approved pair of logos designed by art director Kenjiro Sano.

The decision came amid allegations of plagiarism over one of the logos. Committee chairman Toshihiro Muto said Sano himself asked the committee to retract the logos, saying that the public would no longer accept them. Sano denied allegations that he plagiarized a theater logo by a Belgian graphic designer, but he acknowledged that he used other online images without permission to present how he would display the logos.

Sano's logos were among 4 that were selected from 104 entries in the initial contest.

There's been criticism that the field was too narrow compared to past Olympic logo competitions.

Applicants for the initial contest were required to have won multiple awards in past design contests chosen by the committee.

The Tokyo organizers say they plan to start choosing new logos as soon as possible to minimize the impact on preparations for the games and corporate sponsors.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150902_20.html

Finally, if you remember TOCOG asked for emblem designers to show how the emblem would be used in a "look-of-the-games" way. This is what Sano submitted.

jYUQTHj.jpg

Yhb7oxD.jpg

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150901_45.html

Sano was also suspected of using images on the Internet without permission for materials that showed how his emblems would be displayed.

J6N14v8.jpg?resize=580%2C391

https://sleepwalkingintokyo.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/japan-haneda-airport-tokyo/

8943f391-s.jpg?resize=580%2C560

https://youtu.be/kKTamH__xuQ

00254.jpg

http://www.tomorrowland.com/en/dreamville/gathering

http://randomwire.com/copycat-olympics/#more-22058