Tokyo 2020 official logo

well that was unexpected. i think it was a good move. in design, you can either be fabulous or car-crash crazy. one must never be boring.

most of the olympic logos had an edge and feel that can only be captured in the city. the current design does capture tokyo but it's tokyo of the past. they need to leave behind the 1964 ascetic and look at what has happened to japan since then. it need to speak about the japan of today, modern, new and a bit wierd.

and in my honest opinion, follow london 2012. everyone,especially in the forum, wanted a cliche.

big ben, queen, old downton abbey and the lot.

but instead, they went with something modern, something that look and feels like east london. the graffiti (yes america. you don't have copy right to street art) the urban sound, dark old hard street of london.

and not the mary poppies version people very much stereotype the city.

• Like 1

And from the IOC web site... It has been replaced by the bid logo as well.

I guess they have a lots of alternate logos proposals from the previous choice, so they could go for a runner-up. Or open a whole new process. First option would be quicker.

Edited by hektor

Quite frankly when I first read that one I thought this was a joke article.

They should take the 1964 logo.

Jilly Traganou's "Tokyo's 1964 Olympic design as a 'realm of [design] memory'"

I don't think they should go with the '64 logo. This is 2020, not 1964. And just the red dot is too simple. I like the use of the red dot between "Tokyo" and "2020" on the bid logo, and I think they should keep that, but the logo itself should be something more, since they're also representing the Olympic Movement. I think Nagano did well with their logo, with the petals of the flower depicting the winter sports. I wish Tokyo 2020 could go with something from behance.com because their useres have created some briliant logos (this guy's is my favorite https://www.behance.net/chrisedwards25)

Good piece of common sense- always hated the very 'non Japanese' logo- based around European Letters and English words....

It's funny that the logos went from PyeongChang releasing a logo that was based on Korean characters and using that as the basis for their logo, to Tokyo using the European "T" for their logo, a letter that they don't even use.

• Like 1

They reverted back to the bid logo for now on the official website and all social medias, using the original Discover Tomorrow banner.

Here's what they had to say on Facebook:

The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games today announced that it is withdrawing the Tokyo 2020 Games emblems. The Organising Committee will also be deleting all related text, photographic images and videos recently uploaded to this site.
Along with the withdrawal of this data, we will also be deleting all related comments posted by our fans. We thank you for your kind understanding in this regard.
We will upload details regarding the creation of the new emblems as soon as they are available. We look forward to your continued support for the Tokyo 2020 Games – stay tuned to our Facebook page.

In a way the logo is extinct and the only remaining official sources are the ones people already have saved. Maybe one say in the future the original logo will be lost in time...

Tokyo 2020 now have a second chance to present the world a nice logo the reflects the amazing culture of this nice country called Japan.

Hope they bring something really Japanese this time and I'm sure, based on the bad critics of Sano's one, TOGOC will present something insightful.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20150901_45.html

The video with the article is a little saddening, mostly because a government office in Shinjuku just got banners with the emblem the other day and now have to take them down. Also at Haneda, they have this pretty cool "brush-drawn" style pictograms for sports, but the emblem is on these wraps as well, so they have to either take the entire thing down or cover it up.

I wonder if Sano will ever get work again...

The mountain goat from Albertville ?

ms1992a2.jpg

Funny you should bring Chamois up. (Altho I liked him better than Magique.) But Nagano, of all places, too had a failed mascot - Snowple - which was a snow weasel.

ms1998b2.jpg

However these 2 mascots were replaced not because of design or plagiarism problems but focus groups with the kids showed that the kids didn't get excited by those 2. Hence, the replacements.

Also, the Nagano "winter blossom" logo was designed NOT by a Japanese firm, but by Landor Assoc. of San Francisco who also did the Atlanta 1996 Centennial logo.

Well, TOCOG's IP attorneys will now have to scour not just the TM and copyright databases, but even all non-registered trademarks so they have a clean, lawsuit-proof design.

I think TOCOG just wants to have another "unveiling" ceremony -- and I guess maybe at the Handover Ceremony next year? I really don't know why the logos are released now FIVE years out...even while the current Olympic host hasn't even hosted in actuality!!

So what would've tipped them over the edge, might their lawyer have told them they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court?

Not so much that, as it's all bad publicity -- like, wow, of all the designs in the world, TOCOG could not come up with a truly original design...like Vancouver...or London...or PyeongChang??? :blink:

No. I think it's the hassle of having to litigate and pay off Debie. Better to just cut their losses now. Plus, the haters on the TOCOG board were all probably saying... "I told you so..." At least they have a year to come up with a new and better one. And something that says Olympic and Japanese at the same time -- NOT just a play on the first European letter of the city name. How about Pokemon or Miss Kitty eating sushi?? :lol:

People here keep suggesting that it doesn't make sense for Tokyo to use imagery from characters in the Latin alphabet, like its use isn't commonplace in Japan?

Also, I wonder what Debie thinks, now that he won't be seeing a single cent from this. Of course, there's the matter of defending one's artistic work and its integrity, but I wonder if this whole thing was worth it for him.

Funny you should bring Chamois up. (Altho I liked him better than Magique.) But Nagano, of all places, too had a failed mascot - Snowple - which was a snow weasel.

ms1998b2.jpg

However these 2 mascots were replaced not because of design or plagiarism problems but focus groups with the kids showed that the kids didn't get excited by those 2. Hence, the replacements.

Also, the Nagano "winter blossom" logo was designed NOT by a Japanese firm, but by Landor Assoc. of San Francisco who also did the Atlanta 1996 Centennial logo.

Well, TOCOG's IP attorneys will now have to scour not just the TM and copyright databases, but even all non-registered trademarks so they have a clean, lawsuit-proof design.

I think TOCOG just wants to have another "unveiling" ceremony -- and I guess maybe at the Handover Ceremony next year? I really don't know why the logos are released now FIVE years out...even while the current Olympic host hasn't even hosted in actuality!!

The two are a bit different, if my memory serves me well. The chamois was indeed part of the Albertville segment of the Calgary 88 closing ceremony and was intended as an official mascot. The Nagano mascot was only shown during the bidding phase as far as I remember and never shown again after Nagano got the Games. I consider it as a rare example of "bid mascot" like you have a bid emblem (have there been others ?).

That being said I strongly doubt that Albertville 92 had focus groups with the kids. More likely than a guy from the French government told the COJO that the mascot was "too Disney".

Edited by hektor