Tokyo 2020 official logo

When i think of Japan animals, what comes to me in mind are mostly squirrels, Raccoon dogs, foxes (because of the Kitsune spirit of Shinto belief) or cranes. Not mentioning the Kabuto Bettle (called like this because of its horn resembling the Kabuto of the samurais) which is very popular on their culture.

If they can make a kabuto cuddly, I'm all for it! A fox or a crane could also be nice. If I'm not mistaken, none of them have been Olympic mascots before. And if not an animal, they can do as Athens and create a character based on a traditional toy like a daruma for example.

Pokémon has already done it all though... :unsure:

I think what bothers me is how everyone is saying that it is edgy and modern...modern is bright, modern is minimalist, modern is straight forward. I can't help but feel that the Tokyo team was trying to be too modern and too edgy, they tried to replicate the design of '64 and it just didn't come out well. The black and typeface is what really doesn't work...make that **** bronze or just make a new more simplistic logo.

1964 Alternates:

Tokyo1964.jpg

• Like 1

I don't see why everyone's starting to hate the logo. I for one, am liking it. It's retro-modern, simple and sleek.

The colours are different from Rio's bright colours. Besides, the logos make Japan look smart and sophisticated if you compared it to the warmth and friendliness of Brazil.

I wondering how they would use the colours and shapes in banners, advertisements, posters etc.

Like phandrosis' signature, maybe:

VftKxsn.png

• Like 2

A Brazilian ranking Rio's logo as number 1 - how impartial.

That is my opinion. And I have arguments to explain why I think this is the best emblem, as the illusion of movement, the reference colors of the host country (Green, yellow and blue), the reference to a Rio landmark (sugar bread) the human figure is much similar to the movements of athletes during the competitions, the inovation as the first 3D logo in the games, etc.

Anyway I'm not writing for my ranking for the Times or any major magazine. It's just my opnion. ^_^

I find it interesting that people are saying the logo looks corporate. With Tokyo, maybe it was sort of supposed to be like that, considering how many sponsorship dollars Tokyo 2020 has scored already.

I mentioned this in another post, but I think this logo repeats Pyeongchang's mistakes in that it's hard to understand at first glance if you're not Japanese. I do like the color scheme and font, though. I expected a font like that for Tokyo since it's a very artistic and creative city that embraces the past, and I think the color scheme will work well in advertising and with venues.

Overall, I'd give this an 8 out of 10. Not as good as Rio, but exponentially better than Pyeongchang.

BEST OLYMPIC EMBLEMS:

1 - Rio

2 - Sydney

3 - Bejing

WORST:

1 - Tokyo

2 - Pyeongchang

3 - London

Having spent the past few years agreeing with your ranking of the London logo, I've just had an epiphany- now I think it was MEANT to be embarrassing, as a tribute to the great British tradition of "saucy" humour:

cacdaa0199c1fde6954087593f26d0ae9f0c113e

Was just having a look around on various design forums to see if there were many comments on the logo.

Found this one, hadn't really noticed the 2

amazing high level design.

great flow and unity – really sharp.

the symbol can be read as a : T or a 2 the added red circle makes it 20.
refreshingly brilliant – Japanese design at its best

• Like 1

Was just having a look around on various design forums to see if there were many comments on the logo.

Found this one, hadn't really noticed the 2

But, Matty, I saw that rather quickly, and I'm not even Japanese. So how "Japanese" could it really be? Besides, it's not using katakana or hiragana, it's the Latin script. So??

(It becomes a "2", the micro red Sun is the "0," so "20"; and then your mind is supposed to repeat it -- to become 2020. That was my 3rd revalation or so.

But it's like a little puzzle box. OK, quickly solved, Now, what??? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The logo it self is ok, don't mind simplicity, but what ruins the impression is font... font is too generic, it's like something out of early of 20-century or something out of default system fonts :P

That's the only "Japanese-y" thing about it. Made and selected by minds that aren't really used to "western fonts' and font compatibility -- thus the poor choice of font.

Edited by baron-pierreIV