Tokyo 2020 official logo

Again - most of the criticism being levelled at Tokyo's logo is framed by a western stand point. TNMP sums it up well.

Well they did decide to use Western Letters to represent in graphic form a Japanese Games- that is my biggest criticism.

T as a 'symbol' is not even Japanese- either is the term Team etc....

I like the colours, shapes and how they can be configured graphically. I just think a big 'T' has no Japanese meaning.

I agree with TNMP

Did we really want another cherry blossom?

Is it really appropriate to think Harajuku style should form the central axis of the Tokyo logo?

To me , this is a very classy and dignified look of Tokyo.

It's kind of a Ginza style, a refined sombre toned Kimono almost. Especially with that fantastic golden colour (which I see as a nod to Tokyo 64).

In a way, I think this logo could be seen as being based on the Japanese concept of *iki*.

[quote[Iki is an expression of simplicity, sophistication, spontaneity, and originality. It is ephemeral, romantic, straightforward, measured, audacious, smart, and unselfconscious.

Iki is not overly refined, pretentious, complicated, showy, slick, coquettish, or, generally, cute. At the same time, iki may exhibit any of those traits in a smart, direct, and unabashed manner.

Still, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

In any case, I guess the logo plays a smaller and smaller part now in the overall design of the Games, especially during Games time. We saw Vancouver's look a heck of a lot more than the logo.

In terms of the font, to be fair, the fonts of Lillehammer and Barcelona's weren't that wowish, but they ended up working well enough.

ki, having emerged from the worldly Japanese merchant class, may appear in some ways a more contemporary expression of Japanese aesthetics than concepts such as wabi-sabi. The term is commonly used in conversation and writing, but is not necessarily exclusive of other categories of beauty.

Iki is an expression of simplicity, sophistication, spontaneity, and originality. It is ephemeral, romantic, straightforward, measured, audacious, smart, and unselfconscious.

Iki is not overly refined, pretentious, complicated, showy, slick, coquettish, or, generally, cute. At the same time, iki may exhibit any of those traits in a smart, direct, and unabashed manner.

I'd also add that for the most part the design alternatives we find on google , while probably *prettier* would almost always be an extremely weak brand.

• Like 1

My first reaction when I saw them is "Nani ?!" (Japanese for "what ?!"). The logo's retro concept failed to convey "future" or "tomorrow" as they wanted to call it. It seemed so dull and lack of energy for an Olympic logo. Oddly enough, I liked the Paralympic logo.

Sorry, now with PyeongChang

9sC8zkZ.png

From all of them, only London, PC and Tokyo look with own style. Most of all that logos since 2000 looks like a redesign of Barcelona.

The logo of Tokyo i like, original, different and retro from the others, and even being simple, looks strong and reflects the host country, something hard to see since LA 1984.

The only thing I don't like is the black. I don't associate black with Japan. I associate blue, red, yellow and white. And come off it, clearly London's is the odd one out.

According to the description, Black is produced by the mixture of all colors, so it represents all countries coming together as one.

From all of them, only London, PC and Tokyo look with own style. Most of all that logos since 2000 looks like a redesign of Barcelona.

The logo of Tokyo i like, original, different and retro from the others, and even being simple, looks strong and reflects the host country, something hard to see since LA 1984.

NOT really. How can Salt Lake's snowflake look like Barcelona? How can Torino's El Mole (I think that's what it's called) look like Barcelona's redesign? :rolleyes: It's only Sydney and Beijing that did that "Runner" theme.

• Like 1

Getting worse and worse!!! I hope they compensate that rubbish with a good opening ceremony. Having such great manga, animé and graphic design culture. They come with this. Now London and PyeongChang look brilliant

They can still have a manga/anime-style mascot (hopefully only one, not a family of them) and I think it could fit the logo very well.

And now that I think of it, these logos allow for the Paralympic mascot to be the same as the Olympic mascot but with inverted colours. That would be original and completely in line with what the logos seem to represent.

I like it.

Being a regular visitor to Tokyo and knowing it's skyline and the colours of the cityscape it just works. It is industrial, perhaps even with a touch of steampunk.

I think as westerners we see the obscenely over the top side of Japan - it is not all J Pop and Pokemon. Japanese society is as a whole quite reserved and as such this very orderly, minimal logo is highly appropriate. It says a lot more about Japan - traditional and yeah it can be a bit dull - but it is functional.

I'll be in Tokyo again in a few weeks so I will see if there is much in the way of merch/visibility of the logo.

Do permit me to commend you on granting me the sheer delight in reading one of the most accurate and superbly expressed posts on this topic from the vantage point of UNDERSTANDING Japanese culture. Excellent! I cannot add to this. EVERYONE should read your post.

I like it in all gold and with a more modern/streamlined typeface:

bbjic.png

It is much better in gold only in my point of view

I agree with TNMP

Did we really want another cherry blossom?

Is it really appropriate to think Harajuku style should form the central axis of the Tokyo logo?

To me , this is a very classy and dignified look of Tokyo.

It's kind of a Ginza style, a refined sombre toned Kimono almost. Especially with that fantastic golden colour (which I see as a nod to Tokyo 64).

In a way, I think this logo could be seen as being based on the Japanese concept of *iki*.

I agree that I don't want "another cherry blossom" again - I haven't been to Tokyo yet and therefore I am interested to know what you see in that logo, what makes it "looking Tokyo" for you?

They can still have a manga/anime-style mascot (hopefully only one, not a family of them) and I think it could fit the logo very well.

And now that I think of it, these logos allow for the Paralympic mascot to be the same as the Olympic mascot but with inverted colours. That would be original and completely in line with what the logos seem to represent.

Given the style of the thousands of mascots, it's likely we'll have something like that.

For example, here's the mascot for the 2017 Asian Winter Games in Sapporo.

iJIEz9c.png

I don't see why everyone's starting to hate the logo. I for one, am liking it. It's retro-modern, simple and sleek.

The colours are different from Rio's bright colours. Besides, the logos make Japan look smart and sophisticated if you compared it to the warmth and friendliness of Brazil.

I wondering how they would use the colours and shapes in banners, advertisements, posters etc.

I don't see why everyone's starting to hate the logo. I for one, am liking it. It's retro-modern, simple and sleek.

The colours are different from Rio's bright colours. Besides, the logos make Japan look smart and sophisticated if you compared it to the warmth and friendliness of Brazil.

I wondering how they would use the colours and shapes in banners, advertisements, posters etc.

I'm thinking, and I think someone said this before, it would make sense to use one color alone for a banner, so that they don't all look the same. Who knows what they'll do though. It's only one day less than 3 years until we'll likely see the look of the games anyway.

Given the style of the thousands of mascots, it's likely we'll have something like that.

iJIEz9c.png

I like it. I'd be more than happy if the Olympic mascot looked something like this. BTW, which are the most characteristic animals of Tokyo?

I like it. I'd be more than happy if the Olympic mascot looked something like this. BTW, which are the most characteristic animals of Tokyo?

Most of Tokyo is now a concrete jungle. However, much like NYC, they still have one large green area which are the Imperial Palace Grounds. Most of the Tokyo biome resides there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biota_of_Tokyo_Imperial_Palace

When i think of Japan animals, what comes to me in mind are mostly squirrels, Raccoon dogs, foxes (because of the Kitsune spirit of Shinto belief) or cranes. Not mentioning the Kabuto Bettle (called like this because of its horn resembling the Kabuto of the samurais) which is very popular on their culture.

Another idea they could use would be having the three animal companions of Momotaro (a folk hero of Japanese myth). A monkey, a pheasant bird, and a dog. Although that maybe could look similar to SLC or Sochi.

momotaro.gif

Can't believe how many people hate sophisticated colors. It's a great logo......just wish they had done the rings all black too just to really freak out team Sydney/Barcelona.

C'mon, Paul. You know that will never pass with the IOC.

It's amazing how people can get served such slop and they immediately go into orgasms defending it and trying to find every 'hidden meaning' in this very lazy design.

I think Zaha Hadid must be having the last laugh now. I know she's saying: you thought my stadium design was ugly? Look what you just came up for a logo. :lol:

Actually, I wish Hadid's design would come back now -- so we can possibly have the WORST DESIGNED Olympics in modern history -- a complete reversal of the simple, sleek beautiful lines of 1964. I think Fukushima is starting to seep into the brains of the Tokyo Organizing Committee.

The design has NO aspiration whatsoever. So it says Tokyo - Tomorrow - Team - 2020? So what? How is that better than 1964? What about the Olympic movement's theme of Higher, Faster, Stronger? Mixing all the colors and you get "black"? Yeah, amongst lighting designers, black is the "absence of light." Duh. Shame on you, Tokyo 2020 (and the IOC) for approving such a lame and leaden design. I expected so much more.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

iJIEz9c.png

Persona 4 just called and they want their Teddy back.

According to the description, Black is produced by the mixture of all colors, so it represents all countries coming together as one.

All colours coming together creates white though, not black. Black is the absence of all light.