Tokyo 2020 official logo

According to the video, the olympic emblem is inspired by the T letter. Tokyo creating a new Tomorrow by becoming one Team.

The Paralympic emblem is inspired by the symbol "=" of equality, representing the same ideals.

It looks really good, hope they could add some more bright colours to the colour schemes

Glad they kept the rising sun

Actually it might be refreshing to have a simple and 'savoury' palette for the venues (gold, black, grey and red shapes could look stunning)

Basically every Olympics since Sydney has had a whole spectrum of colours adorning it's venues, it might be refreshing to step back into something more handsome and conservative - like Atlanta's green quilt.

• Like 2

PS: Am I the only one who's ok with the font? I know its not the cup of tea of many but it kind of helps keeping the retro style. And considering the style of this logo maybe it was needed the text would be closer to it to help with its effect on people.

Part of me is glad they didn't picked something stereotypical to be honest. Japan is a culture most of the world alredy knows (much like London was) so there was no need for it.

And lets be honest. While Rio brand has been very liked (including myself) I also felt they went to very safe choices after the very divisive reception London brand got. I'm up for Tokyo trying to reinvent things. At least the logo is better executed than the Pyeongchang one.

Actually it might be refreshing to have a simple and 'savoury' palette for the venues (gold, black, grey and red shapes could look stunning)

I totally agree. And not only those colours look good, they're also distinctively Japanese. Not every host could use them all together as Tokyo will do.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. The colours do make the logo look classy and it distinguishes itself from Rio and London.

But I'm thinking what would the look of the games be like? And the pictograms too. How would they use the shapes to form a pictogram?

^^ Same question was done when London unveiled its logo, and as you could see their pictograms were actually very nice, since they also used the sub-brand (if that would be a correct name for it) of the pipelines

2012OlympicsSportsPictogramsOu.jpg

The pictograms of Tokyo don't have to only include the geometrical shapes we saw in the Logo. So i say give it a chance.

I really like it.

I'm surprised I like it, I don't really know why I like it, but I like it.

I'd agree that the elements of this logo would work well for a look of the Games, but I'm not so sure that's what's going to happen. I find the top of the website where they incorporate parts of the logo and then the logo themselves - are bit too much for the eyes.

I could see them ultimately using a totally different graphics package for the look of the Games.

Well done Tokyo

If you're wondering who designed these two emblems? Well, I'll tell you.

According to InsideTheGames, these two emblems were designed by Kenjiro Sano, an art designer and graduate from the Department of Graphic Design at Tama Art University. He was born in Tokyo in 1972 and is the founder of a design company called MR_DESIGN Inc., and is active in the fields of logo mark design, character design, graphic design, package design and advertising art direction. He has won numerous awards including the Yusaku Kamekura Design Award, the Mainichi Design Prize, the New York ADC Gold Award, the Cannes Lions Gold, the London D&AD Black Pencil, the One Show Design Gold Pencil, the Tokyo Art Directors Club Members' Award, the Japan Package Association Gold Prize, and the Traffic Advertisement Grand Prize. Sano’s works are also featured in the permanent collection at the Museum of Decorative Arts in Paris.

• Like 1

I really like it.

I'm surprised I like it, I don't really know why I like it, but I like it.

I'd agree that the elements of this logo would work well for a look of the Games, but I'm not so sure that's what's going to happen. I find the top of the website where they incorporate parts of the logo and then the logo themselves - are bit too much for the eyes.

I could see them ultimately using a totally different graphics package for the look of the Games.

Well done Tokyo

Or maybe a similar one which looks a bit less overworked. Sochi brand was also considered very busy by some here but it actually worked nicely on the venues.

Or maybe a similar one which looks a bit less overworked. Sochi brand was also considered very busy by some here but it actually worked nicely on the venues.

Sochi was weird though. They designed a clever word mark full of interesting symmetries, then plastered the venues with SOCHI 2014 all in capitals, like they didn't really believe in what they'd produced.

And The Look itself in Sochi wasn't really related to the logo. It was nice to look at, but quite seperate; along the lines of Beijing, Vancouver in this sense (although the colourwasys were very reminiscent of 2012).

I get the feeling with Tokyo The Look will be very much related to the logo; as we saw with London and its shard lines.

Edited by Rob.

I'd agree with that.

But I think Sochi is also a good example where there was a very blockish and simple logo, while the look was very detailed.

I'd say the same of Vancouver.

I feel like we have a fantastic but very straight up and down kinda logo, so perhaps a slightly softer look might work well for Tokyo.

I don't mind the font, but I feel like having a good word mark is important for the look , and Im not too sure if we have one here.

{unpopular opinion train coming through]

it look a more of a cigarette/chocolate logo than an Olympic logo

the colours are unfortunate. limiting your selves with a dark palate might be your down fall.

the shapes are interesting. i see it more with light colours to work for games

i do like the tread of para and oly logos have the same theme

this need another design for the look