Tokyo 2020 official logo

Hi everyone...

Just thought I'd create a thread to discuss the logo - we can't be too far off now from hearing about dates regarding its unveiling. Frankly - I'm looking forward to this more than I am the 2022 decision (lol - who cares, just give it to Almaty).

While I'm not at all a fan of the 2020 bid logo, I loved the 2016 bid logo. I have an early hunch that the 2020 logo will bear some resemblance to the iconic 1964 emblem.

• Like 2

I know they began the process to pick a design in late 2014 (or was it early 2015) but I don't know if they ever gave a date recently for the logo. Japan is known for doing very nice designs like the memorable 2002 WC logo. I hope they do something as nice as that one.

And yeah, I agree we should go back to minimalistic but strong designs. As long as they convey a message and aren't a random scattered pink puzzle or just text. <_<

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Paul's set the bar they have to exceed.

If you're referring to the logo that won this years contest, I absolutely agree. Would hands down be a perfect logo for 2020 that salutes both Japanese culture, simplicity and 1964- whilst being distinctive in its own right.

Very hard to beat. Hope Japan keeps it simple. In fact I even had a thought that it would be a rate opportunity to 'reheat' the 1964 logo - I think it would be quite exciting to use the 1964 logo again, with only '2020' changed, or make the rising sun blue (instead of red) to symbolise the earth.

The Nagano WOG logo was sublime- my favourite ever.....

It was a great logo, but I think it was quite busy, and very 90s. I hope 2020 is less intense.

The Nagano WOG logo was sublime- my favourite ever.....

I liked it as well, although like running said, the style doesnt fit today anymore, plus that logo was done by an american firm. I hope they pick a japanese one this time. (Not that I have anything against american firms but they need to prove they can do a logo by themselves)

• 4 weeks later...

The first one is hands down one of the best proposals i've seen and its a very good variation of the Red Disk symbol, plus it has a strong vintage feel on it. The second one is neat if they ever decide to reuse the concept of the 1964 logo. Also I noticed they also tried to get inspiration from the ancient Japanese crests on the second proposal (called "Mon" in their country) which were used as emblems from many families/clans and individuals in old times such as the Warring States Era (and are still used by some today like the popular Kabuki) . The flags and symbols of each city and prefecture in Japan are also themed after the Mons:

The Metropolitan Flag of Tokyo (Purple was a color very popular back when Tokyo was known as Edo (before the Meiji Revolution)

1024px-Flag_of_Tokyo_Prefecture.svg.png

Metropolitan Symbol (themed after the Gingko tree leaf which forms a T letter, for Tokyo)

500px-PrefSymbol-Tokyo.svg.png

It would be neat if the logo was actually inspired by the Mons or the symbols used by the Tokyo city.

Maybe they could also go for the Purple color of ancient Edo or pink (if they go again for the Cherry blossom motif). Which reminds me, they used the Cherry Blossom theme on the failed Osaka 2008 bid (which had a good brand, IMO)

489px-Osaka_2008_Olympic_bid_logo.svg.pn

11966396684_3c7c63425f_b_d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm expecting the release during the 5 years to go celebration on the 24th. There's no official announcement, but it makes sense to do it then and I don't know the rules, but I imagine they have to have the official logo by the IOC session presentation along with the finalized venues.

I'm expecting the release during the 5 years to go celebration on the 24th. There's no official announcement, but it makes sense to do it then and I don't know the rules, but I imagine they have to have the official logo by the IOC session presentation along with the finalized venues.

You mean the official logo will be unveiled at next July 24? What will happen to this special date?

I hope Japan does something minimalistic yet elegant and recognizable. As much as i would love them to use the rising sun motif, I dunno if they will feel like being repetitive and will try going with something different.

Where will it happen? It will be broadcast on the internet?

It is scheduled to be held at the citizen's plaza beside the tokyo metropolitan assembly building.

IOC vice president, John Coates and IPC vice president, Andrew Parsons will attend.

Perhaps After the ceremony, it will be released on youtube.

• Like 1

Probably one of few cities that can get away with rehashing their former 1964 logo.

I quite like the idea of a Tokyo 2020 logo being an exact copy of the 64 logo - perhaps with a blue or green dot to represent earth as a whole, and not just the Japanese nation. Just a thought.