High-tech trams arrive in Rio de Janeiro city centre ahead of Olympic Games31/05/2016 — 11H54By Rio 2016

Light rail network that will transform passenger transport in downtown Rio will start running this weekend

DbK5DQ8k.jpg

The new network will connect the domestic airport, waterfront, historic centre and long-distance bus station (Photo: Porto Maravilha)

A new light rail system will begin operating in central Rio de Janeiro this weekend, cutting journey times for commuters and visitors, reducing car traffic and making it easier for people with a physical impairment to get around the city.

The first parts of the tram network, known locally as the VLT after the Portuguese initials for light rail transit, are set to enter service this Sunday (5 June).

"It is an option for urban mobility with 100% accessibility," Rio's transport secretary Rafael Picciani said at a press conference to mark 100 days until the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games on Monday (30 May).

When fully complete, the 28km (17 mile) network will transport an estimated 300,000 people per day. The trams will connect the domestic airport, the long-distance bus station, the ferry and cruise ship terminals, the main commuter train station and Rio's historic centre and business district. There will be a total of 32 stops, many of which will be integrated with existing metro stations and stops for the city's bus rapid transit (BRT) network.

This weekend, service will start on a short stretch of the network, linking Santos Dumont airport to the renovated waterfront area, which will be a major entertainment zone during the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Before the Games, the service will be extended to the city's main bus station.

When fully functioning, trams will operate around the clock, seven days a week, in intervals ranging from every three minutes during the day to every 30 minutes in the early hours. Each tram will have capacity to carry 420 passengers. Tickets will cost 3.80 reais.

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/high-tech-trams-arrive-in-rio-de-janeiro-city-centre-ahead-of-rio-2016-olympic-games

With swimming finals not finishing until midnight some nights how do they plan for people to get around if train lines are all shutting at 1am? unless they hope to have travel time from Barra to Copacabana be travel time of less than 1 hour.

With swimming finals not finishing until midnight some nights how do they plan for people to get around if train lines are all shutting at 1am? unless they hope to have travel time from Barra to Copacabana be travel time of less than 1 hour.

Night BRT from OP via Zona Sul to Central Rio

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/rio-tera-mais-um-feriado-durante-os-jogos-olimpicos-19176271

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Foglobo.globo.com%2Frio%2Frio-tera-mais-um-feriado-durante-os-jogos-olimpicos-19176271&edit-text=&act=url

• Like 1

New tunnel links Rio domestic airport to city centre and Olympic venues21/06/2016 — 09H33By Rio 2016

The tunnel, which replaces an overpass in the waterfront district, will make it easier for athletes and spectators to get around the city and to and from Olympic venues

xwudFZnL.jpg

The longest urban tunnel in Brazil will have capacity for 110,000 vehicles per day (Photo: Cidade Olímpica)

A new road tunnel that will cut travel times between Rio de Janeiro domestic airport and other regions of the Olympic host city opened on Sunday (19 June) .

The 3.37km (two mile) tunnel will make it easier for spectators travelling by car, taxi, bus or ride-sharing services to get from Santos Dumont airport and the city centre to Rio 2016 venues, especially those in the Deodoro region.

It is the longest urban tunnel in Brazil and a key feature of the regeneration of Rio's once decaying port and waterfront district. The new tunnel, 43 metres below sea level, replaces an ugly overpass that was blamed for bringing urban blight to a region rich in history and culture.

Since the overpass was blown up in spectacular style in 2013, new museums, bicycle lanes and walking paths have opened in the district, which is now reclaiming its place as the historic heart of the city.

Currently, the tunnel is open only in one direction; traffic will start flowing in the other direction at the end of July. When fully open, it will have capacity for 110,000 vehicles per day, reducing traffic bottlenecks in other parts of the city.

-1yV3_Tk.jpgThe entrance to the new tunnel (Photo: Rio City Hall /J.P.Engelbrecht)

The tunnel forms part of a series of major investments in transport infrastructure that are being completed in Rio ahead of the Games. Rio de Janeiro’s international airport has opened a new building that has almost doubled its passenger capacity.

A new metro line linking Rio de Janeiro's city centre, tourist neighbourhoods and beach areas to the main Olympic zone of Barra da Tijuca is scheduled to start operating on 1 August. At the end of May, the road linking southern Rio to Barra was expanded, increasing its traffic capacity by 30 per cent. New Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lines are also being finalised.

A high-tech light rail service began operating in the waterfront district on 5 June; by the time of the Olympic Games in August, the trams (known locally as the VLT) will link Santos Dumont airport to the city's long-distance bus station and the main commuter train station, running through the port region and past the ferry and cruise ship terminals.

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/new-tunnel-links-domestic-airport-to-city-centre-and-olympic-venues-helps-regenerate-waterfront-district

I was looking how to get from Copacabana to Olympic Park.

The route that apparently will be the most direct is: Metro Linha 4 from General Osorio to Jardim Oceanico, then BRT TransOeste to Terminal Alvorada, and take there BRT TransCarioca to Rio II /(theorical)

Can anybody here who lives or have been in Rio can confirm this?

^^ I will take the same route from Ipanema to Olympic Park

there will be a special BRT line from Jardim Oceanico station to Olympic park

and a night BRT line connecting the Olympic park to the south zone of Rio

https://translate.go...t-text=&act=url

we will be "neighbours" - my accommodation is in Ipanema as well

What me wonders that you can't really find a recent map/site about the transportation during the Olympics on the Rio2016.com website - yes, you can find spectators guide about the venues, where the nearest stations to the venues are mentioned, but you need for your planning how you can get from your accommodation to the BRT-lines, which exist only during the Games. (e.g. this BRT-line which shall run during the Olympics from Jardim Oceanico directly to the Olympic Park or the one which run from "Militar" to "Centro Olympico" ....)

Furthermore why hasn't been map published about the night transport yet? I came from the point of view, that all BRT lines, metro, super via lines run at least as long as the spectators have to get home from the events...

GLOBO is doing a good thing, but I think it would be better if the official website is doing something about this too.

... this is the best transportation map I have found so far, but you can't be sure if this map shows the actual transportation during the Games

In this thread it was mentioned that there will be a direct BRT line between Jardim Oceanico and the Centro Olympico - this line is not shown on this map...

Interestingly the "Ramal Deodoro" runs on this map to Campo Grande - at the moment this line runs only to Deodoro - is it possible that this line will be extended during the Olympics?

Like I have said I would wish for such a map from the official website - one for the day and one for the night...

There is this on the metro rio site. I think it's just the subway system. You can view it in english

https://www.metrorio.com.br/VadeMetro/Mapas

There's also this page that deals with I think the light rails and buses

http://www.supervia.com.br/estacoes.php

It's in portuguese but since I know spanish and the languages are very similar it wasn't a huge challenge to understand it.

Man could Rio get any more complicated? Usually you don't have to visit two separate websites to look at a city's public transportation because usually there is one company who runs all forms of public local transportation.

BTW not sure if those are the updated system maps. Most official sites wouldn't upload the most current system map with lines that aren't opened yet.

BTW not sure if those are the updated system maps. Most official sites wouldn't upload the most current system map with lines that aren't opened yet.

That is understandable, but I think the official Rio 2016 should show a map, what is the planed transportation system for the Games...

I think the trains will run other than normal during the OG.

All trains (Japeri,Deodoro and Santa Cruz) are calling at the Olympic Stadium.

Deodoro is serving Vila Militar and Magalhoes Bastos for the events there.

... this is the best transportation map I have found so far, but you can't be sure if this map shows the actual transportation during the Games

I'm pretty sure that this map is far from actual.

When You check the website it shows this is postet March 2011.

So we can forget that.

I'm pretty sure that this map is far from actual.

When You check the website it shows this is postet March 2011.

So we can forget that.

Forget the first part of my post.

Could not edit it.

This is correct.

further info

Rio launches travel card for public transport during Olympic and Paralympic Games23/06/2016 — 15H56By Rio 2016

The RioCard will allow unlimited travel on the city's public transport network for one, three or seven days

c79-B01z.jpg

The card will be accepted on city buses, trains, the metro and Bus Rapid Transit services (Photo: Rio 2016/Thiago Minete)

Transport authorities in Rio de Janeiro have started selling a special travel card that will help visitors get around the city and to and from the venues for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The RioCard, provides access to Rio's bus, metro, train and Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) networks, was officially launched on Thursday (23 June) .

There are three different categories of card. The one-day RioCard will cost 25 reais (US$7.50), the three-day card 70 reais (US$20.90) and the seven-day version 160 reais (US$47.85). The cards will be accepted on public transport from 1 August to 19 September.

All cards will expire at midnight at the end of the last calendar day for which they are valid. However, because some events will finish after midnight, there will be a grace period of two hours after that to allow spectators to return from the venues.

3Z-yygyK.jpg

On two modes of transport – theTransOlímpica BRT line, which links Barra Olympic Park and the second-largest venue cluster in Deodoro, and Line 4 of the metro – only people with a valid RioCard will be able to get onboard.

For Rio's other public transport options, people without a RioCard will be able to pay cash to buy an ordinary ticket.

Authorities said on Thursday that the city's new tram network, or VLT, which began operating in June, may also accept the RioCard. The VLT is currently free to use and is running a limited service in the city centre.

There will be a minimum time of 30 minutes between trips on the same form of public transport or on the same bus line. The card cannot be used on the city's business-class buses or on intercity buses.

Npzu4moS.jpg

Where to buy

Cards may be ordered online but can only be delivered within Brazil.

From 15 July, visitors will be able to buy the travel cards at points of sale across the city.

rtcRHD3-.jpg

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/rio-launches-travel-card-for-public-transport-during-olympic-and-paralympic-games

HELP - I have a question for our Brazilian members...

I checked the travel times from my accommodation to e.g. Maracanã

One result is to use the two Metro lines or one Metro line - both routes take 60 minutes...

Bildschirmfoto%202016-06-26%20um%2014.44

Another result is to take busses - with 40 minutes

Bildschirmfoto%202016-06-26%20um%2014.45

Would you recommend foreigners, who don't speak Portuguese to take the metro during the Games or can "we" use city buses also? What are the predictions that the street traffic breaks down and that the travel times during the Games would be much longer?

To go to Maracanã from south zone or city centre I allways go by metro. I think is the best option. No transit and the station is near Maracanã.

• Like 1

I have another question for our Brazilian members:

My accommodation is in Ipanema and I wonder if there is something planned that streets will be closed due the venues close by - e.g. it is for me important to know if bus 539 (I have to take this one to Beach Volleyball) and bus 426 (I have to take that one to the Lagoa Stadium)...

HELP - I have a question for our Brazilian members...

I checked the travel times from my accommodation to e.g. Maracanã

One result is to use the two Metro lines or one Metro line - both routes take 60 minutes...

Bildschirmfoto%202016-06-26%20um%2014.44

Another result is to take busses - with 40 minutes

Bildschirmfoto%202016-06-26%20um%2014.45

Would you recommend foreigners, who don't speak Portuguese to take the metro during the Games or can "we" use city buses also? What are the predictions that the street traffic breaks down and that the travel times during the Games would be much longer?

You'll be better off on a metro service than a bus. A lot of announcements on the train are in English. Buses, other than BRT and subway buses, are a bit of a lottery.

I have another question for our Brazilian members:

My accommodation is in Ipanema and I wonder if there is something planned that streets will be closed due the venues close by - e.g. it is for me important to know if bus 539 (I have to take this one to Beach Volleyball) and bus 426 (I have to take that one to the Lagoa Stadium)...

To go to Copacabana take the metro again in General Osório Station and leave at Cardeal Arcoverde Station and take a short walk to the beach. To go to the Lake? You are in Ipanema. Take a 1 Km walk until the stadium. If you are lazy or the weather are not good, take the metro to the other direction to Jardim de Alah Station. Metro, metro, metro and metro. Our metro is very good. The stations are wide and clean, the cars are comfortable. Buy that olympic card. You wil save money and avoid queues at ticket offices. Learn the stations and you can enjoy most of Rio.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the great inputs. The transportation system and maps are very confusing. Especially considering that many maps have not been updated and there is little information on line 4.

We are staying in Barra near the Sheraton and assume that to get to the OC, the best bet is to get to line 4 and then transfer to line 1 and get off at SÃO FRANCISCO XAVIER. We would then walk to the stadium.

Forget which bus it is, but I believe there is a bus that stops near the Sheraton and goes to the line 4 terminal. Can anyone confirm this? TIA

Thanks everyone for the great inputs. The transportation system and maps are very confusing. Especially considering that many maps have not been updated and there is little information on line 4.

We are staying in Barra near the Sheraton and assume that to get to the OC, the best bet is to get to line 4 and then transfer to line 1 and get off at SÃO FRANCISCO XAVIER. We would then walk to the stadium.

Forget which bus it is, but I believe there is a bus that stops near the Sheraton and goes to the line 4 terminal. Can anyone confirm this? TIA

Should have specified the Sheraton Barra