I thought that Rio only promised the BRT for the olympics and the metro was planned to be ready after the games. An effort was made to make it ready before and seems they have succeeded. If ticket holders and accredited people will can use the metro during the games (and that is the reason for the early opening) then what is the problem?

I thought that Rio only promised the BRT for the olympics and the metro was planned to be ready after the games. An effort was made to make it ready before and seems they have succeeded. If ticket holders and accredited people will can use the metro during the games (and that is the reason for the early opening) then what is the problem?

The press has reported numerous times that the metro was a key element in their transportation plan bid.

Line 4 is critical.. it's always been shown on the plans. If it opens ahead of time and works, there is no problem. But they are cutting things really close.

My hope is they are playing games. That they really think they can open it earlier and are going to spin this as Line 4 opens early, instead of line 4 opens late.

The 2016 Olympic Games Will Take Place In Rio De Janeiro.

(No, he who must not be named hasn't hacked my account, I was just a bit bored).

So I just read that the TransOlimpica highway won't be fully operational during the Games. Transportation for those Games is getting seriously worrying...

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/transolimpica-sera-inaugurada-mas-tera-so-tres-estacoes-durante-jogos-19312040

Rio international airport gets full makeover ahead of Olympic Games23/05/2016 — 18H23By Rio 2016

Now run by consortium that includes the operator of Singapore Changi Airport, Galeão has expanded its capacity and added new services

2LYKY7vm.jpg

Classic Brazilian furniture is a feature of the new South Pier in the airport's Terminal 2 (Photo: Rio Galeão/Thiago Saramago)

With less than three months to go until the start of the Olympic Games, Rio de Janeiro’s international airport has almost doubled its passenger capacity, added nearly 100 new shops and restaurants, and rolled out high-technology equipment to speed up boarding and passport control.

On Monday (23 May), the new operators of Galeão, as the airport is colloquially known, opened to the public their latest addition: the South Pier of Terminal 2, one kilometre long and with a total area of 100,000 square metres. The brand-new section has been equipped with 26 boarding bridges, giving Galeão more than any airport in Latin America.

Already the second busiest airport in Brazil and the fourth busiest in Latin America, as a result of the expansion Galeão’s annual capacity has risen from 17 million passengers per year to 30 million.

To prepare for the increase in passenger numbers, the airport has installed new X-ray scanners, lifts and moving walkways in Terminal 2. It has added 68 check-in desks, expanded its car park capacity and is modernising its electricity and signage network.

Egliu6b_.jpgShiny and new: the South Pier has all the mod cons of the 21st century (Photo: Rio Galeão/Thiago Saramago)

The consortium that took over operations after the government auctioned the right to run the airport at the end of 2013 includes Changi Airports International, the operator of Singapore Changi Airport, which in March was voted the world’s best airport for the fourth consecutive year.

In total, the Rio Galeão consortium has already invested around 2 billion reais (US$558 million) in improvements. By the end of its contract in 2039, it expects to invest a further 3.2 billion reais and increase capacity to more than 60 million passengers per year.

The airport is officially named Antônio Carlos Jobim International Airport in honour of bossa nova legend Tom Jobim, who died in 1994. It is situated on an island linked by road and a bus rapid transit line to the mainland and is around 20km from the centre of Rio.

Passenger experience

The Brazilian government’s secretariat for civil aviation expects Galeão to receive around 2.5 million visitors during the period of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Whereas on an average day, the airport handles around 40,000 passengers, on the day after the closing ceremony the airport expects that number to more than double to 90,000.

Potential travellers to the Games will be glad to know that as well as increasing capacity, the airport is investing in improving the customer experience – expanding the range of retail and leisure options, and rolling out digital services to make their stay more pleasant.

With the opening of the South Pier, the duty free shopping area has doubled in size, with new shops, restaurants, banks and bureaux de change coming to Galeão. By August, 100 new stores and restaurants will have been added to the airport since the new operators took over management. Before the start of the Olympic Games, four VIP lounges will be opened.

On the technology side, the airport launched a new app on Monday which will help people at Galeão find their way around and keep track of their flights.

FMyCuQoc.jpgThe South Pier boasts modern and stylish bathrooms (Photo: Rio Galeão/Thiago Saramago)

Other improvements, such as include bar-coded boarding passes and 'eGates' for customs and border control, will be in place by August and will help speed up passenger boarding and processing. Galeão has also invested in a new integrated security system with more than 1,000 cameras.

Passengers leaving on night flights to Miami, Zurich, Frankfurt and New York on Monday (23 May) were the first to benefit from the improvements at Galeão. Arrivals at the new South Pier will start on Tuesday.

To make sure that visitors have a positive first impression of the Olympic city, the airport also opened on Monday a welcome centre in Terminal 2, where multi-lingual staff will provide guests with tourist information about Rio and the surrounding area.

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/rio-international-airport-gets-full-facelift-and-makeover-ahead-of-rio-2016-olympic-games

BS on that airport makeover. Unless it was in much worse conditions before. As soon as I landed in Rio on April 20th there was an intense smell in the aircraft coming from outisde. In the airport, there are very very few restaurants and those I mean Dominos and a McDonalds. Not much signs inside either, I found myself following the mob and random people trying to chat at the arrival gate. I am brazilian and I felt super uncomfortable, it has been 17 years since I was last in the country but an Alpha city hosting this gigantic world event I expected at least a good airport. I'm not even going to start on the drive from the airport. I don't understand why they won't clean the areas... 4 out of 10

lol because pics are better right =] I do wish them best of luck.

BS on that airport makeover. Unless it was in much worse conditions before. As soon as I landed in Rio on April 20th there was an intense smell in the aircraft coming from outisde. In the airport, there are very very few restaurants and those I mean Dominos and a McDonalds. Not much signs inside either, I found myself following the mob and random people trying to chat at the arrival gate. I am brazilian and I felt super uncomfortable, it has been 17 years since I was last in the country but an Alpha city hosting this gigantic world event I expected at least a good airport. I'm not even going to start on the drive from the airport. I don't understand why they won't clean the areas... 4 out of 10

You probably landed on old part of Terminal 2. This pictures are from the South Pier, a new part of the airport that was open a week ago. Most international companies are moving operations there.

Rio de Janeiro subway opening times extended for Olympic and Paralympic Games

Parts of the Rio de Janeiro subway network are set to be open until either 1 or 2am during the Olympic and Paralympic Games in a move designed to ease concerns over the city transport system.

This comes after State Secretary of Transport Rodrigo Vieira told Globo how the final installation of the line four extension westwards to link the city centre with the main Games-hub at Barra de Tijuca was completed over the weekend.

Overall progress is now said to be 90 per cent complete.

A wagon was reportedly pulled by another vehicle to test the new line, passing five stations on the route of which the construction is still being completed.

After repeated construction delays, it is now expected to become fully operational on August 1 - just four days before the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

It will only be a "soft" opening, however, with the line set to be restricted to spectators with tickets and accredited personnel rather than the general public.

Opening hours of the new link and of all other lines will be from 6am to 1am Monday to Saturday during Games-time, and from 7am to 1am on Sundays and holidays.

It may be necessary for some lines to remain open even later due to the late finishing times for some events - including swimming finals at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium in Barra.

Trains are expected to operate on line four every eight minutes.

The extension to Metro Linha 4 westwards beyond Ipanema Bay is among the most important legacy projects of the Games, intended to improve the commute for more than 300,000 people a day.

Although not part of the initial Rio 2016 bid, it is now seen as a vital part of the Games-time transport plan, acting in conjunction with BRT to transport thousands of spectators to the Olympic Park in Barra de Tijuca.

Most venues in the Copacabana and Maracanã clusters are accessible by subway, while train extensions will be required to reach the second major Games hub at Deodoro.

Current plans are for the extended line to be rolled-out to the entire population on September 19, where it will operate at first from just 11am until 3pm.

The project has been plagued by delays, with concerns peaking in February when a leaked email sent by Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) warned of a "high-risk" it will not be ready in time.

He suggested they should consider alternative solutions.

Problems were exacerbated by financial woes affecting the State Government responsible for development work, as well as the harsh rocky terrain the line needs to navigate.

A "major breakthrough" was claimed in April, with constructors breaking through the final rock wall to complete a connected tunnel system throughout the length of the line.

"If the line is not open, or if there is a break-down during the Games, more buses would be organised to pick up spectators," said the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) leading Rio 2016 advisor Gilbert Felli in October.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1037779/rio-de-janeiro-subway-opening-times-extended-for-olympic-and-paralympic-games

I am looking to stay near Copa or Ipanema. If I use public transit what is best route and time to each of the 4 clusters from where I will be staying?

Thanks.

@gotosy or the other cariocas here: any news from BRT?

Is the Transoeste from Jardim Oceanico to Alvorada already running ?

What about Transolimpica? Which stations will be served?

I am looking to stay near Copa or Ipanema. If I use public transit what is best route and time to each of the 4 clusters from where I will be staying?

Thanks.

I will stay in Ipanema so I expected to use the subway line 4 and BRT to acess the Olympics Venues

e723e5a6f14d4888a888768cba4231f8%20%282%

@gotosy or the other cariocas here: any news from BRT?

Is the Transoeste from Jardim Oceanico to Alvorada already running ?

What about Transolimpica? Which stations will be served?

I'm not carioca but I understand that BRT is already running from Jardim Oceanico to Alvorada Terminal, and at Olympics a direct BRT line will work between Jardim Oceanico and the Olympic Park

regarding Transolimpica I read somewhere that it will work at Olympics but not all stations will be operational

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Foglobo.globo.com%2Frio%2Ftransolimpica-sera-inaugurada-mas-tera-so-tres-estacoes-durante-jogos-19312040&edit-text=&act=url

@gotosy

Where did you see reports about a direct line Jardim Oceanico to Olympic Park?

What i can actually see is a need for transit from Transoeste to Transcarioca(at Alvorada) or to Transolimpico (at Recreio)

BTW: we will stay in Ipanema too, close to General Osorio

@gotosy

Where did you see reports about a direct line Jardim Oceanico to Olympic Park?

What i can actually see is a need for transit from Transoeste to Transcarioca(at Alvorada) or to Transolimpico (at Recreio)

BTW: we will stay in Ipanema too, close to General Osorio

here

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Foglobo.globo.com%2Frio%2Frio-tera-mais-um-feriado-durante-os-jogos-olimpicos-19176271&edit-text=&act=url

During the Games, the three BRT (Transoeste, Transcarioca and Transolímpica) have four lines, created specifically for the Games, to take passengers to sporting equipment. They are: Vila Militar-Recreio; Centro Olimpico - jardim Oceanico; Centro Olimpico-Vicente de Carvalho and Golfe Olimpico - Jardim Oceanico.

If anyone would be taking a cab or Uber, i'd suggest Cab/taxi. Didn't have major issues just a little too pricey but that is just how it is and it felt very safe; they're everywhere. In most cities here in the US everybody prefers Uber but i found them to be a little too sketchy in Rio. On top of that, there is major confrontation between them, like the taxi driver who tried to run over this older lady whose was taking an Uber at Galeao Intl. There is also the option "Frescao" which is a very good bus with AC which will take you to the main neighborhoods in the city and in and out of the airport. It only costs 16,00 Reais vs 60,00-100,00 in a cab trip (in may i paid $86,00 from Copa to Barra); these are sighted everywhere in the city, blue bus not like the common ones. Just hop in.

Here's the link:

http://frescao.com.br/

Did I read the article correctly about Transolimpica, Barra to Deodoro? The time between the 2 venues could be 20 minutes.

Maybe by helicopter.

Key coastal road expansion linking southern Rio to Barra Olympic Park opens30/05/2016 — 12H41By Mark Beresford

Two-lane elevated highway will increase traffic capacity by 30 per cent and be used for Olympic Lanes during Rio 2016 Games

xvO-cIGQ.jpg

The new road runs parallel to an existing elevated coastal highway (Photo: Rio City Hall/Cidade Olímpica)

The expansion of a key coastal road system that links the main venue cluster for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games with the famous tourist districts of Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana was inaugurated on Saturday (28 May).

A new 5km (3.1 mile) two-lane elevated road has been built parallel to an existing two-level road that straddles the ocean in the neighbourhood of Joá. Two new tunnels have been dug through the hills that separate the neighbourhood of Barra da Tijuca, home to Barra Olympic Park, from the rest of the city.

Known locally as the Elevado do Joá, the road offers drivers breathtaking views of Rio de Janeiro's southern neighbourhoods, but has often suffered from congestion during peak travel times. The new section, along which the first cars travelled on Saturday, will increase traffic capacity on the route by 30 per cent and reduce journey times by as much as 60 per cent, according to the city government.

ay_FPNOq.jpgThe road emerges from the tunnels into Barra da Tijuca (Photo: Rio City Hall/Cidade Olímpica)

From 31 July to 22 August, covering the period of the Olympic Games, two lanes will become 'Olympic Lanes', which are reserved exclusively for the transport for accredited personal, including the athletes and officials.

Barra is one of Rio's newest neighbourhoods. Located in the west of the city, the region was extensively developed in the 1980s and many residents moved there from the traditional districts in southern Rio. Around 85,000 vehicles per day use the Joá route every day to get from Barra to southern and central Rio and back.

During Rio 2016, Barra Olympic Park will be the heart of Games with its nine venues hosting 16 Olympic and nine Paralympic sports, alongside the Main Press Centre and the International Broadcast Centre.

Also in the Barra region, although outside the Olympic Park, are the new Olympic Golf Course and the Riocentro complex.

See where the sports will take place with our venues map

S4qDSyWt.jpgThe road provides spectacular views of the ocean and south Rio (Photo: Rio City Hall/Cidade Olímpica)

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/key-coastal-road-expansion-linking-southern-rio-to-barra-olympic-park-opens-rio-2016