Rio 2016: Transport and Mobility

Construction of Transolímpica reach 60% completion

Forecast is that the expressway that will cut the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro will be ready in the first half 2016

Expressway that will cut the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro, free from traffic lights and dedicated lanes for the BRT, the Transolímpica is 60% of the works completed. With 26 km long, it will pass through eight districts of the region, such as Barra da Tijuca, Curicica and Magalhães Bastos and promises to reduce by 30 minutes travel time lasts 2:30 a.m. today. The projection is that about 70,000 people make the trip daily.

When completed, the Transolímpica will connect with Transcarioca in Curicica; with Transoeste, in the Recreio; and the rail network in Deodoro. Total investment in the project is $ 2.2 billion and the delivery is scheduled for the first half of 2016.

2015.07.02_transolimpica_03_-_cidade_oli

Is possible see the Olympic Park and the Olympic Village in this picture

2015.07.02_transolimpica_01_-_cidade_oli

2015.07.02_transolimpica_-_renato_sette_

2015.07.02_transolimpica_08_-_cidade_oli

2015.07.02_transolimpica_06_-_cidade_oli

2015.07.02_transolimpica-3-renato_sette_

2015.07.02_transolimpica-2-renato_sette_

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very impressed by the progress being made so far. These large scale projects are extremely complex. I was a bit confused by all the different lines, brt, vlt, .... This map helped me with understanding the transport network in 2016.

rede4.png

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Rio International Airport works (at fast pace)

A%C3%A9rea_P%C3%ADer-Sul-21-1030x686.jpg

New extension of Terminal 2 (International Flights)

122807093.jpg

122807142.jpg

Refurbshment of all restrooms (finally!)

122807168.jpg

New Parking Building

122807076.jpg

the pictures are from mid-July

First tests of LRT of Downtown Rio

20150819_CO_TRANS_VLT_AA-5420-1600x1067.

20150819_CO_TRANS_VLT_AA-5432-1600x2400.

New Suburban trains for Rio metro area and Deodoro-Downtown line.

11988322_1810665432493435_64348326788827

2555783.jpg

2555789.jpg

Refurbshment of old suburban stations of Train Network of Rio. Some are really interesting spots

11880530_1806333419593303_20392503986982

Downtown - nearby Central do Brasil station

trem-supervia.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article (in spanish) that says that Brazilian Air Force is studying to close for a few hours the Santos Dumont Airport (SDU, domestic flights) because of the sailing competition.

Does anybody has an update about this?

http://www.biobiochile.cl/2015/09/10/estudian-cierre-temporal-de-aeropuerto-de-vuelos-internos-en-rio-durante-regata-de-los-jj-oo-2016.shtml

I found this article (in spanish) that says that Brazilian Air Force is studying to close for a few hours the Santos Dumont Airport (SDU, domestic flights) because of the sailing competition.

http://www.biobiochile.cl/2015/09/10/estudian-cierre-temporal-de-aeropuerto-de-vuelos-internos-en-rio-durante-regata-de-los-jj-oo-2016.shtml

Could be closed for the whole Games, even. I know Toronto proposed to have the Island airport closed for the entirety of the Olympics. It also would have interfered with the sailing competition.

Yes, still in study, and it happened before during PanAms, Popes visits to Rio, Red Bull Air Race and other events.

Not a big trouble, actually, since Rio International can receive easily all flights from Santos Dumont Airport and all Brazilian carriers operates in both airports.

Could be closed for the whole Games, even. I know Toronto proposed to have the Island airport closed for the entirety of the Olympics. It also would have interfered with the sailing competition.

Yea, no that shouldn't happen. Yes the Olympics are an inconvenience to the day-to-day operations of a city, but they shouldn't happen to that extent. Close the roads for a few hours, fine. But to stop an airport from operating flights? That should never happen. This is an issue that I'm sure everyone was well aware of months, if not years in advance and should have adjusted accordingly. Yet another reason why moving the sailing events would have been a much wiser choice for Rio.

^^Santos Dumont Airport is a small airport almost inside Downtown Rio that does not work 24/7 due residential areas nearby and also does not have ILS due the Sugar Loaf mountain, which means, the airport closes everytime Rio have foggy mornings (very often in Summer, for example)...

And as pointed, the airport was closed before for event like all Popes visits to Rio or Red Bull Air Races or World Cup Qualifiers Draw... It's common.

Santos Dumont Airport is more a convenient way for executives to fly to Sao Paulo in air-shuttle service or nearest state capitals than actually a main hub for the city...

79_big.jpg

img10.jpg

210733.jpg

Still, the landscape of this airport is amazing.

1605912.jpg

Edited by DannyelBrazil