The 1999 Rugby World Cup had a blooper in the Opening Ceremony but it seemed more to do with live to broadcast synchronization more than anything.

As Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones sang the World in Union anthem their lip syncing started to step out of time so the camera crew took angled shots of them from the side and you got mainly their backs as they sang on.

Yes, found that below, thanks Alexjc:)

Shirley Bassey and Bryn Terfel lip syncing their own recordings. The note with this youtube clip was that due to the wind and weather being too rough, a decision was made for them not to sing live. They've both got great voices and a great recording nonetheless.

2004 Athens Olympics Closing Ceremony,

popular Greek singer Sakis Rouvis is flown in over the stadium arena to the main stage .....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AustralianFan, Thank you for creating the thread, you don't need to justify to anybody. Great insight to the ins and outs behind the ceremony rehearsal.

Studying the footage, I think he was looking at his path. About three metres short of the cable, he stops skating and glides, then lifts a foot just as he reaches the cable, as if hoping to step over

Athens 2004: DJ Tiesto attacked Second OC Dress Rehearsal, Tues 10 Aug 2004 Polish DJ Tiesto, who provided the 'rave-style party' dance music for the athletes in the Parade of Nations, was suddenly

If you're out to FIND a hair out of place, or a performer not looking where the rest are, you WILL find tons of these BLOOPERS and 'mishaps' at all these performances. Remember that most of the performers are amateur-volunteers, so they're NOT expected to render PERFECT, professional performances.

Many times, a camera crew gets 'caught' on the floor among the other performers by the other cameras. Is that considered a blooper?

But look at London 2012. They avoided 'mistakes' by doing things like "Pandemonium' where everybody kinda just did their thing -- and VOILA! no one was out of place!! :lol: No one was out of sync, or behind tempo -- because it was pandemonium! Clever those Brits!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1956 Opening Ceremony, Melbourne Summer Olympics

The link below by The Age newspaper article covers the lighting of the Cauldron by our great long distance runner, Ron Clarke, who had already suffered burns from the magnesium dripping on to him from the Torch on the way to the Cauldron.

"....... The other bit of planning for the worst-case scenario almost cost Clarke more burnt skin. A technician was supposed to turn the gas on gradually. Instead, he turned it on full.

Clarke plunged the torch towards the centre of the cauldron and recoiled as flame instantly filled the bowl. He leapt back from the stool on which he was standing, fortunately away from the edge of the drop into Yarra Park."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/02/1086058924471.html

Here again is the footage of Ron Clarke lighting the Melburne Cauldron:

But look at London 2012. They avoided 'mistakes' by doing things like "Pandemonium' where everybody kinda just did their thing -- and VOILA! no one was out of place!! :lol: No one was out of sync, or behind tempo -- because it was pandemonium! Clever those Brits!!

And yet.....

Factory smokestacks bending (indeed, practically folding in half) in the wind; the Rings getting way out of sync with the music (possibly the result of the late decision to cut a couple of minutes from every major section); people getting injured by tree branches; quite a lot of awkward things kept happening until almost the last minute.

Also, if you look closely at the video you'll see that the Pandemonium performers did try to maintain tempo while walking etc., which added a little extra dynamism to the performance.

And yet.....

Factory smokestacks bending (indeed, practically folding in half) in the wind; the Rings getting way out of sync with the music (possibly the result of the late decision to cut a couple of minutes from every major section); people getting injured by tree branches; quite a lot of awkward things kept happening until almost the last minute.

Also, if you look closely at the video you'll see that the Pandemonium performers did try to maintain tempo while walking etc., which added a little extra dynamism to the performance.

That's what I mean -- if anything looked out of place (or like an accident), it was OK; it was well in keeping with the concept of the piece. LOL!!

I know they marched in tempo; on the beat. Don't take everything so literally. ;)

Well at least the torch actually lit the cauldron in 1956 as opposed to.....

Didn't look all that scary.

That's how it's done at those big events -- whether Beijing or even Pavarotti in his final public appearance at Torino. When they do it live, you get a messed up performance-- like Susan Boyle forgetting the lyrics at Glasgow 2014.

I love Susan Boyle's voice, just amazing. She stumbled but quickly recaptured the lyrics and the song 'Mull of Kintyre'

Here are a couple of those clips from Glasgow 2014:

Oh and speaking of audio issues, during the World Cup OC in Brazil, there was someone who tripped and fell at the beginning. It was hilarious. Oh and they also experienced audio issues as well during Pit Bull and JayHoe

Brazil OC 2014:

17:17 For the tv audience, poor audio/syncing issues began as soon as the first singer appears on stage (Claudina) through to Pit Bull and Jennifer Lopez

Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony,

Stadium Torch Relay

Debbie Flintoff-King is only halfway through carrying the torch to the main stage through the central athletes corridor when

the Stadium Announcer inexplicably prematurely announces the final torchbearer "Cathy Freeman!" (Silver Medallist, World Champion, etc. etc)

The stadium audience goes wild. .......... except that Debbie is still no where near Cathy and still running through the athletes.

Big Oops!

Cathy's 'secret position' in the dark at the foot of the stage stairs. The tv coverage shows Debbie still running, and running, and running, finally reaching Cathy, and the Stadium Announcer then has to announce again 'Cathy Freeman' for the second time

Brazil OC 2014:

17:17 For the tv audience, poor audio/syncing issues began as soon as the first singer appears on stage (Claudina) through to Pit Bull and Jennifer Lopez

The whole opening ceremony of the 2014 WC was a big disaster. I lost the count of how many jokes they did on Twitter/Tumblr about how bad it was. The only good thing is that it was a wake up call so they don't screw it up again in 2016.

• Like 1

The whole opening ceremony of the 2014 WC was a big disaster. I lost the count of how many jokes they did on Twitter/Tumblr about how bad it was. The only good thing is that it was a wake up call so they don't screw it up again in 2016.

Day ceremonies just look so blah.......I thought the greatest achievement in that ceremony was keeping J Lo in that dress!

Glasgow OC 2014

The Queen waits patiently during a lengthy delay as one, then two others, try to unscrew the top of the Queen's Baton, to retrieve the message inside for the Queen to read out.

Eventually it comes off, to everyone's relief.

Just came across this spillage pic of Guido Caroli at Cortina 1956.

Generally, I don't feel right posting these slips because it shows these athletes at their most inglorious moments...and I am sure something they would rather forget -- which somewhat sums up my feeling about this whole thread -- immortalizing among the most embarrassing moments of these persons' careers. :( But I am just going along for the ride...

Guido_Caroli_was_so_ashamed_when_he_trip

See what you started, Australian Fan.

Thanks for sharing Baron.

Mishaps involving the torchbearer holding or the lighting of a cauldron, the most visible, highest profile and emotional symbols of a Games must indeed be awkward and embaressing for the person or parties involved, snd sometimes hard to watch by the audience.

These awkward moments do happen unfortunately, and along with the triumphant, flawless moments, are part of history, as are any determined comebacks or recovery that sometimes arise from adversity.

Do you have any info on what happened after Guido fell? Did the flame stay alight or go out, and did he press on and complete the mission?

If you're asking - did he pull a Tonya Harding? He did not.

There really isn't much footage available right now. (Sometime soon it will probably surface.) but reports are that, per the pic, the flame didn't go out; he wasn't hurt; and he just gamely went ahead and got the job done. How he didn't see the TV cables, we'll never know... 1956 must've been the most mishap-prone year for those lightings:

- what with a "fake" lighting in Stockholm (in June); and then

- Lavers getting singed in Melbourne (in the fall).

• Like 1

Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony,

Stadium Torch Relay

Debbie Flintoff-King is only halfway through carrying the torch to the main stage through the central athletes corridor when

the Stadium Announcer inexplicably prematurely announces the final torchbearer "Cathy Freeman!" (Silver Medallist, World Champion, etc. etc)

The stadium audience goes wild. .......... except that Debbie is still no where near Cathy and still running through the athletes.

Big Oops!

Cathy's 'secret position' in the dark at the foot of the stage stairs. The tv coverage shows Debbie still running, and running, and running, finally reaching Cathy, and the Stadium Announcer then has to announce again 'Cathy Freeman' for the second time

Found this youtube clip which shows the premature announcement of Cathy Freeman:

06:24

Premature announcement made at a dramatic moment in the music:

"Cathy Freeman, 1996 Silver Medallist and 400 metres World Champion"

(at this point, Debbie Flintiff-King is still running with torch about halfway through athletes and quite a distance away from Cathy Freeman. Australian TV commentators comment on this announcement.

7:01

Debbie Flintoff-King finally reaches Cathy Freeman about 36 seconds later and a second announcement is made "Cathy Freeman"

A minor detail you may have noticed, that was confirmed recently, the Olympic rings on Cathy's costume were sewn on upside down, so they turned the fabric back to front.

You can see the upside down rings through the fabric if you look carefully.

Thanks for that Torchbearer, I had no idea about this until I read your post.

I read also somewhere a few months ago that Cathy's cauldron lighting body suit is believed to have been found after having been missing since the night of the OC.

Generally, I don't feel right posting these slips because it shows these athletes at their most inglorious moments...and I am sure something they would rather forget -- which somewhat sums up my feeling about this whole thread -- immortalizing among the most embarrassing moments of these persons' careers. :( But I am just going along for the ride...

See what you started, Australian Fan.

Hang on a mo- he was on skates. You can't just skate over a cable; serious Health and Safety issue there!

Hang on a mo- he was on skates. You can't just skate over a cable; serious Health and Safety issue there!

Of course, he was. You didn't realize that? They used the main skating rink at Cortina as the main Ceremony venue. They laid out little carpets where those were needed.

And not to belabor the point but obviously he must've been so focused on the torch and getting to the platform that he totally overlooked the cables which were RIGHT THERE, in front of him, in broad daylight. It's a good thing he didn't slice over any active cables and get electrocuted!!

Of course, he was. You didn't realize that? They used the main skating rink at Cortina as the main Ceremony venue. They laid out little carpets where those were needed.

And not to belabor the point but obviously he must've been so focused on the torch and getting to the platform that he totally overlooked the cables which were RIGHT THERE, in front of him, in broad daylight. It's a good thing he didn't slice over any active cables and get electrocuted!!

Exactly- my point was that nobody in their right mind would put a cable across ice where somebody was going to skate while carrying a flaming torch! If you're skating rather than just walking on the skates, you'll have to jump the cable.

Exactly- my point was that nobody in their right mind would put a cable across ice where somebody was going to skate while carrying a flaming torch! If you're skating rather than just walking on the skates, you'll have to jump the cable.

Well, whether he rehearsed the trip to the cauldron-platform or not, the cables (as is the wont of broadcast people) probably just appeared there that day. I mean TV broadcasting was so new then that I am sure the TV technicians just laid down their cables where they could w/o giving much thought that that path would be used by the ultimate torchbearer. But it was also Caroli's responsibility to look at his path.