During the Arrivals segment, when the group representing African immigrants entered the stadium, that square ripped the flooring underneath it, and they had to do a quick tape-up which was sloppily done. You saw how sloppy it was when the group representing the Americas entered the stadium.

Thanks for that LatinXTC, in the clip below

at 1:40 you can indeed see the large tear in the stadium floor material behind the African float, exposing the grass underneath

at 3:35 you can see the black tape of the running repairs, some of which has already come unstuck

at 5:15 in the to right corner of the stadium floor, they appear to be working on the repairs again.

Guido Caroli's tumble with the torch in 1956 and the near-decapitation of Albertville's original mascot in 1988 are still my personal favorites.

Had no luck looking for a complete video of Albertville's OC to try and see this.

Cathy Freeman's white racing suit slowly becoming transparent and she got soak while the caldron platter stalled above her in 2000 is still the best.

Had no luck looking for a complete video of Albertville's OC to try and see this.

It was actually the Calgary CC at the mascot unveiling.

Thansk for sharing, I'd not seen this before. There appears to be no burning mechanism in the design, only a handful of ignitable chemicals in a cup at the tip of the torch - no wonder the emtire flame just spilled everywhere. No backup torch or flame appears either, but sounds as if they managed to ignite the cauldron somehow.

It was called "Merlin's Lighting" because the cauldron lit up "magically" even without a flame.

The 2nd most embarrassing and again, "magical" lighting was that of Susi Susanti, a "witch's lighting," at the 2011 Southeast Asian Games.

Both incidents mentioned (in page 112) of my book -- as are most of the major faux pas worth noting.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I wouldn't rummage through 112 pages of what is mostly probably nonsense just to find out a handful of people talking about the flops during the live ceremony that I would want to be looking for.

Your loss and some of it is germane to the topic. Again, I really don't need your dogmatic opinions or lectures, Latin.

Again, I really don't need your dogmatic opinions or lectures, Latin.

Nor do we need yours either, or your constant promotions about your book, and even your PMs begging us to buy your book which I'm sure I wasn't the only one to receive. But we each have our rights here and neither of us have to listen to each other nor do what we say. I can continue to give out my dogmatic lectures and opinions while you can continue your racist comments against Muslims and whatever other countries you feel like belittling, even your own country the Philippines. So moving on.

Seoul 1988 OC, who could forget some of the doves of peace getting burnt alive in the cauldron lighting:

lol yes! The reason why live doves are no longer used in the opening ceremonies. But would it have been okay to start releasing the doves AFTER the lighting of the cauldron, or was that incident just too much to even consider live doves again?

• Like 1

Also in the closing ceremony in Sydney right before the beginning of the actual ceremony you had some moron on a golf cart escaping security. I'm sure that was an act, but what wasn't an act was when the guy hit one of the speakers, which might have been the reason for the terrible audio we heard at home when the artists were singing. Not sure if this is the same thing the audience heard.

Thanks for sharing LatinXTC.

I had a look at the clip below of the Sydney CC opening Chaos segment and it appears that comedian Neil Gladwin driving the lawnmower regularly alternates with a stunt driver throughout the segment where he is constantly driving off the stadium arena through one exit only to "re-emerge" on the arena a few seconds later from a completely entrance at an impssible distance away.

At one point the stunt driver appears to be wearing a different coloured vest.

06:06

A camera angle blooper has a shot of Neil Gladwin and the stunt driver both in the same frame, with Neil disappearing out of view while the stunt driver with a cameraman already sitting on the front of the stunt driver's lawnmower driving into the same shot.

oops

08:11

After a few exits and entrances, I think its a stunt driver who remerges again on one of the lawnmowers and then 'crashes' into a speaker setting off electrical style pyrotechnics,

09:49

He drives past speakers and the Australian TV commentators (who are bad actors) say 'wasn' the meant to have collected that speaker a few minutes ago?"

Doves were released at the beginning of the Barcelona ceremony, but the ever environmentally-conscious Norwegians began the trend of substituting for live doves.

lol yes! The reason why live doves are no longer used in the opening ceremonies. But would it have been okay to start releasing the doves AFTER the lighting of the cauldron, or was that incident just too much to even consider live doves again?

Thats true, no more real doves after Seoul. It also makes you wonder if they had rehearsed the doves release at all. You would think that even in a rehearsal that some of the doves would also have flown up and also settled onto the lip of the cauldron.

Doves were released at the beginning of the Barcelona ceremony, but the ever environmentally-conscious Norwegians began the trend of substituting for live doves.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the headsup :)

Not even the opening ceremony of Beijing 2008 was save from some glitches (without mentioning some unfortunate incidents during the rehearsals, one on which a person ended up crippled for life). Some of the computers used for the projections gave up the BSOD, although this was not seen on TV.

2753823552_a5f43b558e_o.jpg

2752991187_bb663669ae_o.jpg

She was performing her song 'I'm Coming Out' and she was supposed to kick this football into a HUGE goal, she misses and instead hits the goalpost splitting the goal in half

Cool, thanks Miss Eurasia. I'd not seen that before.

Just found this clip:

00:59

I'm thinking that the goals splitting were not a mistake, only Diana Ross's kick, as not being a soccer player, she unfortunately miskicks the ball which skids away to her left.

I think Diana was meant to kick the ball straight ahead to score a goal in a rehearsed move where the goalkeeper dives to his right, which he did, to 'allow in' Diana's goal.

After Diana's miskick, stagehands on both sides of goals appear to pull the structure evenly apart separating the goals in two for Diana Ross to immediately run straight ahead through to the main stage on a rehearsed 'pathway'.

Not even the opening ceremony of Beijing 2008 was save from some glitches (without mentioning some unfortunate incidents during the rehearsals, one on which a person ended up crippled for life). Some of the computers used for the projections gave up the BSOD, although this was not seen on TV.

2753823552_a5f43b558e_o.jpg

2752991187_bb663669ae_o.jpg

Thanks Ikarus for these great pics and fascinating insight.

I bet the TV director was sweating when he/she saw the projections in the control room that he did not select that camera angle and show the projections mistake to the entire world, probably with government censor reps monitoring every second of the teelvision coverage.

Not to mention some really bad lip- synching!!!

haha yes!

When the incident happened it was really hard finding a video of that since they were being pulled off YouTube as quickly as they were going up. The only ones that remained were the parody ones.

But they finally stopped pulling them I guess because the controversy died down.

https://youtu.be/ii-n_QSS0og?t=873

It was called "Merlin's Lighting" because the cauldron lit up "magically" even without a flame.

The 2nd most embarrassing and again, "magical" lighting was that of Susi Susanti, a "witch's lighting," at the 2011 Southeast Asian Games.

Both incidents mentioned (in page 112) of my book -- as are most of the major faux pas worth noting.

Ah.. Susi Susanti's cauldron mishap in 2011 SEA Games. It is a shame for Indonesia because Laos and Myanmar (2009 and 2013 edition) managed to create better lighting with arrows :D .

By the way, I feel that Indonesian organizers never learn from that... There's another miss at 2012 Indonesian National Sports Week (Unfortunately I'm unable to find the video)

Thanks for sharing Baron.

I just found this clip from the SEA Games Opening you mentioned. You're right, it's a stunner, and not in a good way.

Start of video

I watched the video previous to this clip and it appears that the flame has gone out for this pair of torchbearers (unless it was low on gas and burning very very dimly, but i lost sight of any visible flame for some time) until the ship climbing sequence.

2:34

A torchbearer starts climbing up to the top of the ship with a flameless spear in hand then waits, suspended by wires, while another torchbearer with a now brightly flaming torch in hand, starts climbing up from beneath,

and that torch the ignites tip of spear,

3:31

Performer on wires with flaming spear starts flying toward cauldron, dramatic music building

3:58

Cauldron suddenly pre-ignites well before the spear is even thrown. A big Oops.

With Cauldron now well alight, the poor spear thrower then starts to then throw flaming spear at Cauldron anyway but he instead starts rapidly spinning around out of control, probably from the momentum of his throw, and the flaming spear misses the Cauldron by a long way and tumbles awkwardly straight down to the stadium floor. One of the biggest Oops.

The idea was right, and had they pulled it off, would have looked spectacular.

......... but, at the worst possible moment, the risk they took just plonked badly, for whatever reason.

Its a shame as other parts of the Opening Ceremony looked quite beautiful.

At least the Cauldron itself burned brightly for the athletes below.

Not to mention some really bad lip- synching!!!

Yes, lol, bad lip syncing alright.

• Like 1

yes, and it was a funny and well received and recovery by the creative team at the beginning of the Vancouver CC when they raised the stalled cauldron arm and reunited it with the other parts.

I'm wracking my brains re Sochi and if they did a similar recovery routine with the failed snowflake at the Sochi Closing Ceremony (?)

Yes they did

Thanks for this JMarkSnow2012 :) they did indeed do a beautiful job with the Sochi OC snowflake recovery at their Closing Ceremony.

your constant promotions about your book, and even your PMs begging us to buy your book which I'm sure I wasn't the only one to receive.

Oh really, how sure are you? And I don't beg. I just mention it because most of what Australian Fan is trying to find and discuss is ALL there in one volume -- not in a piece-meal, rag-tag fashion. But then again, some of us do read books, and others don't.

And if you believe every word put out there about how islam is a religion of peace, have I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. So as you said, you have every right to post your dogmatic remarks (to me or others), then I have every right to post cautionary msgs about troublesome peoples which you, seem to be totally blind to. And that's how they flourish. And fFYI, I left the Philippines 43 years ago -- a whole lifetime ago, and NOT something I think of everyday as you seem to indicate. However, you seem to have a special affinity for it . :rolleyes:

You also pretend to be such an 'altruistic' person, deriding others for calling out 'muslims' when they hate and persecute gay people like you and consider you sinners, the scum of the earth and would kill LGBT folks if they could get their hands on them. :wacko: Yet, you call me out? Wow. Where are our priorities? I think it's kinda stupid of you to be standing up for those psychopaths when they would no sooner throw you off the roof. But hey, if that's what floats your boat, ....

As a matter of fact, since you keep reminding me about the Philippines (as if I need reminding), why don't you go visit them -- including the friendly moslems in the south? Maybe they'll welcome you...or possibly kidnap you? I mean...go, it could be just the kind of thrills u seek. :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It was actually the Calgary CC at the mascot unveiling.

Aah thanks BT, my mistake, I found it now below :)

12:24

Mascot hidden under an Olympic flag which then gets pulled back but gets jagged on the mascot's big head nearly decapitating him and revealing the performer's actual face,

who kept his head ... pulled it back on and skated away quickly

The 1999 Rugby World Cup had a blooper in the Opening Ceremony but it seemed more to do with live to broadcast synchronization more than anything.

As Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones sang the World in Union anthem their lip syncing started to step out of time so the camera crew took angled shots of them from the side and you got mainly their backs as they sang on.