Thanks for that Torchbearer, I had no idea about this until I read your post.

I read also somewhere a few months ago that Cathy's cauldron lighting body suit is believed to have been found after having been missing since the night of the OC.

Indeed- Cathy hung her costume up in the change room at the stadium...and it disappeared!

It was sent anonymously to the Australian Sports Museum in Melbourne last year- the seamstress has confirmed she sewed the fabric upside down, and that info was used to identify it as genuine!

• Like 1

I am sure the TV technicians just laid down their cables where they could w/o giving much thought that that path would be used by the ultimate torchbearer. But it was also Caroli's responsibility to look at his path.

Studying the footage, I think he was looking at his path. About three metres short of the cable, he stops skating and glides, then lifts a foot just as he reaches the cable, as if hoping to step over it (which wouldn't work). He was a speed-skater not an ice dancer, so he probably never learned how to jump on skates, which was the only way he could have got over without stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b8UTm_yxSNo#t=225

[The video is set to start at 3m 45s, just as Caroli starts his run toward the cable]

• Like 2

I accidentally found another blooper in Seoul 1988. A reversed Italian flag in the card stunt.

ita88_zpss3ycsclt.jpg

(Green should be on the left, in case any of you become confused)

I accidentally found another blooper in Seoul 1988. A reversed Italian flag in the card stunt.

ita88_zpss3ycsclt.jpg

(Green should be on the left, in case any of you become confused)

But it's so easy to be confused with all those tricolor (both vertical & horizontal) flags. That's not a very unique blooper; I am sure it's happened so many times before. I mean, if you're dyslexic, it can't be helped.

But it's so easy to be confused with all those tricolor (both vertical & horizontal) flags. That's not a very unique blooper; I am sure it's happened so many times before. I mean, if you're dyslexic, it can't be helped.

Well, I agree there could be numerous flag confusion in the Olympics.. But a blooper is still a blooper :P

• Like 1

Maybe they thought Coute d'Ivoire was marching and the orange looks a bit more reddish in the video? :P

I dunno if this would count as blooper, but during the Athletes Oath in Barcelona '92, Eugeni Alonso had a timelapse and nearly forgot the oath, until he finally recovered and continued saying it. You can hear the crowd laughing for a bit.

The opening ceremony of the 2003 Pan Am Games (Santo Domingo) was full with bloopers. From the mangled brazilian flag during the parade of nations to accidentaly using "Olympic Spirit" by John Williams during the hoisting of the PASO and Olympic flags (i think a stray dog also got in the middle of the field). No wonder why they became less half-assed after this disgrace.

The Olympic flag at the Sarajevo opening (I think?), was hoisted rings upside down (but then corrected shortly afterwards).

It looks as if it simply wasn't attached to the halyard correctly; it doesn't open out properly when the wind catches it. If you keep watching to 3m 35s you'll see a brief glimpse of it flying properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dpm-SaXqhvs#t=177

It looks as if it simply wasn't attached to the halyard correctly; it doesn't open out properly when the wind catches it. If you keep watching to 3m 35s you'll see a brief glimpse of it flying properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dpm-SaXqhvs#t=177

It's really hard to see; but #1 - there is that rumor; and #2 - again, with that clip, why was it so brief at 3:35 -- as if to do a "quick -- look over there away"; and hide the gaffe? If it had been raised properly, then the scuttlebutt that it wasn't, would probably not have arisen? (And the cameras never returned to the flag. Someone at the broadcast control booth must've seen the gaffe and directed cameras to avoid it.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's really hard to see; but #1 - there is that rumor; and #2 - again, with that clip, why was it so brief at 3:35 -- as if to do a "quick -- look over there away"; and hide the gaffe? If it had been raised properly, then the scuttlebutt that it wasn't, would probably not have arisen? (And the cameras never returned to the flag. Someone at the booth must've seen the gaffe and directed cameras to avoid it.)

It was certainly wrong in some way, and certainly fixed after the random shots of athletes, so yes, it does seem reasonable to suspect that in reality, there was some hasty activity which the cameras carefully avoided.

Didn't know where else to put this...

11182123_10152817994323341_2091589387608

Take that, Beijing!! Ooops, turns out to be something different. But here's another pic from the same gallery, still very Olympic ceremony-esque...

110118_21_mg_377321.jpg?w=860&h=646&crop

http://foreignpolicy.com/slideshow/close-encounters-of-the-buddhist-kind/

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Didn't know where else to put this...

Take that, Beijing!! Ooops, turns out to be something different. But here's another pic from the same gallery, still very Olympic ceremony-esque...

http://foreignpolicy.com/slideshow/close-encounters-of-the-buddhist-kind/

That's pretty much the opposite of a blooper! Very impressive.

• Like 1

There was a question about the Olympic Flag being missing during the Opening Ceremony of the Lima 2019 Pan Am Games. Apparently it was another blooper. According to comments on the Totallympics message board during their live chat of the opening ceremony - comments were made about a commontion in the background and one of the flagpoles looking like it was wobbling and might fall. I didn't notice it might self, but maybe ESPN was in commercial at the time. But, it would explain why the Olympic Flag was not brought out. Officials might have decided not to take a chance on raising it if the pole was not sturdy enough. Obviously they later fixed the issues with the pole as the Olympic Flag was flying during the closing ceremony.