Ceremony Bloopers and Mishaps

Over the years, there have been many jaw dropping, triumphant and emotional moments in Opening and Closing Ceremonies and Rehearsals.

Whatever or whereever the Ceremony is, Creative Teams from the highly experienced professional, production companies down to the low budget and inexperienced ones, who clearly have 'bitten off more than they can chew', all know that something can go wrong at at any time, and usually it does .....

These 'fails' can make us laugh, wince, criticise, look away or just sit there stunned, and wondering what is going to happen next, or how on earth are they going to get out of this?

Things can go wrong involving props, scenery, lighting, torches, flames, cauldrons, cues, speeches, orchestras, performers, audiences, VIPs, weather, music, animals or birds

..... to name a just a few.

This thread is dedicated to those creative teams and the risk takers.

Without risk, greatness cannot happen.

Oz Fan, if you've hung around here long enough, the hard core ceremony groupies here have, I am sure, covered bloopers, etc. at one time or another; but nobody's seen fit to create a new thread just for them. I mean...really, the organizers are human after all. Just go through the various Ceremony threads and you will find many of them.

Lets kick off with some glitches, from an audience perspective, in my own backyard at Sydney 2000.

I'd spent a small fortune to get a ticket to the OC itself plus membership of the soon-to-be defunct 'Olympic Club', which also gave me two tickets to the first of two dress rehearsals.

So it was a cold windy night in Sydney, I sat with a capacity audience of over 100,000 at the first OC dress rehearsal, not knowing what to expect. I was seated just to the left of the main stage and under a jumbotron.

First Dress Rehearsal, Sat 9 Sep, 2000

"Man From Snowy River" segment - The "G'Day"banner ripped apart about halfway up as it was 'dropped' from the flying horizontal banner holder. The rehearsal didn't stop at that point, although an announcement was made before the rehearsal started that there may be pauses during the rehearsal as various things were worked out.

"Heroes": During the 'Heroes' song after the parade of nations, represented by groups of school kids, the huge cloth with images beamed onto it from overheads projection ripped apart as it was passed down over the audience's headsfrom one of the end grandstands. It started ripping just as being passed over the balcony's edge and before it reached the stadium floor.

Again, they didn't stop the rehearsal but pressed on and managed to catch the flailing piece of cloth up to the torn leading piece.

I understand that both of these glitches were rectified in the Second Dress Rehearsal, Wed 13 Sep, 2000.

Opening Ceremony, Fri 15 September, 2000:

Then we have the Cauldron malfunction just as it was starting it's dramatic ascent. It started moving then braked suddenly causing the Cauldron to swing vertically on its cradle. I was in the middle of the top stands above the athletes entrance but we could clearly feel the

heat of the cauldron's flame from way up there from. when it was lit by Cathy Freeman.

It was nearly 3.5 minutes before they managed to complete their safety checks and send it on its way with a manual override, by which time the Fireworks and the accompanying music had begun, so things were a little out of sync. It finally made its way to the very top on that magnificent rising column at the top of the stadium, but by then, the music and firework had stopped, as the Cauldron silently moved vertically into its final position.

Athens 2004: DJ Tiesto attacked

Second OC Dress Rehearsal, Tues 10 Aug 2004

Polish DJ Tiesto, who provided the 'rave-style party' dance music for the athletes in the Parade of Nations, was suddenly physically attacked by a screaming woman from the audience near him who had climbed up on to his podium even before security guards could react.

I had been sitting just to the right of the Cauldron and watching the parade of nations (played again by school kids) when I heard screaming from below. I looked down and there was a commotion on Tiesto's podim and he was clearly fighting off someone. I don't speak Greek but another volunteer next to me said said the woman was screaming in Greek "devil music! devil music!".

She kept screaming and thrashing about during the while time the bunch of security guards struggled to separate her from Tiesto and remove her from the area. I never did read anything in the English media in Athens at the time, but possibly it was reported by one of the Greek media reps there.

Needless to say, the Dress Rehearsal continued on, without missing a beat, through the while incident.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that dress rehearsals were allowed to be attended by outsiders. If I'm seeing almost the exact same thing as opening night at a fraction of the price I sure as hell would want one of these dress rehearsal tickets! I'll try to remember what I've seen in the ceremonies. Some of them may be small mishaps that don't really matter, but it's interesting to see what everyone else has manage to catch during the ceremonies.

The cauldron stalling at Sydney wasn't the only blooper/mishap they had in the ceremony. During the Arrivals segment, when the group representing African immigrants entered the stadium, that square ripped the flooring underneath it, and they had to do a quick tape-up which was sloppily done. You saw how sloppy it was when the group representing the Americas entered the stadium.

You also had the sign Eternity at the end of that segment not completely light up. The word Eternity lit up just fine, but the border didn't.

Also in the closing ceremony in Sydney right before the beginning of the actual ceremony you had some moron on a golf cart escaping security. I'm sure that was an act, but what wasn't an act was when the guy hit one of the speakers, which might have been the reason for the terrible audio we heard at home when the artists were singing. Not sure if this is the same thing the audience heard.

Oh and speaking of audio issues, during the World Cup OC in Brazil, there was someone who tripped and fell at the beginning. It was hilarious. Oh and they also experienced audio issues as well during Pit Bull and JayHoe's act, but from what I was reading it only affected the home audience and not the live audience.

Oh during the Atlanta OC when those disasterous cheerleaders were being showcased, they had a moment when the camera went down the line where the guys were lifting up the girls on one foot using 2 hands. One guy couldn't manage to keep his balance so you can see him on the verge of dropping the girl right before the camera moves away from him.

Also during Atlanta, parts of the volunteers' costume from the first segment was falling off. You can see moments where people would run in, grab those disc-like things, and run back to the edge.

Oh and of course there's the cauldron issues at the beginning of the Vancouver OC, and the 5th ring not opening up as well as the fireworks from the rings not going off during Sochi's OC.

And lol sorry for the Brazil audio blooper. Accidentally put the performer tripping before the JayHoe and Pit Bull performance. I really should proofread my comments if they're going to be that long! :)

• Like 1

I didn't realize that dress rehearsals were allowed to be attended by outsiders. If I'm seeing almost the exact same thing as opening night at a fraction of the price I sure as hell would want one of these dress rehearsal tickets!

First secret in my book: top of page 15. It's probably 75% the same as actual opening -- minus the March of the Nations and the Lighting of the Cauldron, for the most part.

- from Australian Fan

First Dress Rehearsal, Sat 9 Sep, 2000

"Man From Snowy River" segment - The "G'Day"banner ripped apart about halfway up as it was 'dropped' from the flying horizontal banner holder. The rehearsal didn't stop at that point, although an announcement was made before the rehearsal started that there may be pauses during the rehearsal as various things were worked out.

How can you describe 'bloopers' in a DRESS rehearsal when that is precisely what a "dress rehearsal" is for :blink: -- to try the execution of ideas in final form and to allow the producers to make 'mistakes' in front of a live audience? You are missing the entire point of having 'previews' and 'dress rehearsals.'

You are verging on the point of being a fault-finder and a trivial nitpicker.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I am so amazed that ceremonies that are so incredibly complicated manage not to have a calamitous stuff up....I am sure it will happen one day...

Well, that's why it now takes years to plan them; with a staff of several hundred professionals.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Guido Caroli's tumble with the torch in 1956 and the near-decapitation of Albertville's original mascot in 1988 are still my personal favorites.

Guido Caroli's tumble with the torch in 1956 and the near-decapitation of Albertville's original mascot in 1988 are still my personal favorites.

What happened with Guido's tumble with the torch ?

I didn't realize that dress rehearsals were allowed to be attended by outsiders. If I'm seeing almost the exact same thing as opening night at a fraction of the price I sure as hell would want one of these dress rehearsal tickets! I'll try to remember what I've seen in the ceremonies. Some of them may be small mishaps that don't really matter, but it's interesting to see what everyone else has manage to catch during the ceremonies.

The cauldron stalling at Sydney wasn't the only blooper/mishap they had in the ceremony. During the Arrivals segment, when the group representing African immigrants entered the stadium, that square ripped the flooring underneath it, and they had to do a quick tape-up which was sloppily done. You saw how sloppy it was when the group representing the Americas entered the stadium.

You also had the sign Eternity at the end of that segment not completely light up. The word Eternity lit up just fine, but the border didn't.

Also in the closing ceremony in Sydney right before the beginning of the actual ceremony you had some moron on a golf cart escaping security. I'm sure that was an act, but what wasn't an act was when the guy hit one of the speakers, which might have been the reason for the terrible audio we heard at home when the artists were singing. Not sure if this is the same thing the audience heard.

Oh and speaking of audio issues, during the World Cup OC in Brazil, there was someone who tripped and fell at the beginning. It was hilarious. Oh and they also experienced audio issues as well during Pit Bull and JayHoe's act, but from what I was reading it only affected the home audience and not the live audience.

Oh during the Atlanta OC when those disasterous cheerleaders were being showcased, they had a moment when the camera went down the line where the guys were lifting up the girls on one foot using 2 hands. One guy couldn't manage to keep his balance so you can see him on the verge of dropping the girl right before the camera moves away from him.

Also during Atlanta, parts of the volunteers' costume from the first segment was falling off. You can see moments where people would run in, grab those disc-like things, and run back to the edge.

Oh and of course there's the cauldron issues at the beginning of the Vancouver OC, and the 5th ring not opening up as well as the fireworks from the rings not going off during Sochi's OC.

And lol sorry for the Brazil audio blooper. Accidentally put the performer tripping before the JayHoe and Pit Bull performance. I really should proofread my comments if they're going to be that long! :)

Yes sources of tickets to OC dress reharsals seem to vary from Games to Games. In Sydney I got them through a rather pricey subscription Olympic Club open to the public and I wasn't connected with the Games in any way. In Athens, as a volunteer i heard on the grapevine that Dress Reharsal tickets were available for some volunteers and so I raced in and put my name down for a couple.

Yes you're right about the Eternity sign at Sydney's OC not fully lighting up, I think it was part of the Sydney Harbour Bridge section the bottom which didn't ignite.

I had no idea about the tearing of the floor material in Arrivals until you mentioned it.

Caroli tripped on a TV cable and almost spilled the flame. 2 other similar situations happened.

Ross failed to kick the ball into the goal at the end of her number.

But those aren't the fault of the producers. They are part of the frailty of the 2 participants -- who are only human. Caroli is not a runner, and Ross is not a soccer player.

yes, and it was a funny and well received and recovery by the creative team at the beginning of the Vancouver CC when they raised the stalled cauldron arm and reunited it with the other parts.

I'm wracking my brains re Sochi and if they did a similar recovery routine with the failed snowflake at the Sochi Closing Ceremony (?)

First secret in my book: top of page 15. It's probably 75% the same as actual opening -- minus the March of the Nations and the Lighting of the Cauldron, for the most part.

How can you describe 'bloopers' in a DRESS rehearsal when that is precisely what a "dress rehearsal" is for :blink: -- to try the execution of ideas in final form and to allow the producers to make 'mistakes' in front of a live audience? You are missing the entire point of having 'previews' and 'dress rehearsals.'

I agree. Rehearsals are held to drill the teams, and get it 'right on the night' as much as possible.

For those interested in everything 'Ceremonies', this thread covers the journey and risks taken through rehearsals and the aceremonies themselves, including things that went wrong in the lead-up to the actual Ceremony and how things panned out on the night, including what they omitted from the final live performance, and if and how they might recovered, or worked around, a mishap, blooper, mistake, glitch or problem.

Just like many here, I'm a big Olympics and Ceremonies fan and I find anything to do with them fascinating, including the subject matter of this thread, particularly how producers someitmes recover just as well from an intial problem or mistake, whether its during rehearsals or the final live Ceremony.

AustralianFan,

Thank you for creating the thread, you don't need to justify to anybody. Great insight to the ins and outs behind the ceremony rehearsal. :)

• Like 4

yes, and it was a funny and well received and recovery by the creative team at the beginning of the Vancouver CC when they raised the stalled cauldron arm and reunited it with the other parts.

I'm wracking my brains re Sochi and if they did a similar recovery routine with the failed snowflake at the Sochi Closing Ceremony (?)

Yes they did

What happened with Diana?

She was performing her song 'I'm Coming Out' and she was supposed to kick this football into a HUGE goal, she misses and instead hits the goalpost splitting the goal in half. She wasn't even singing, she was definitely lip syncing because when parts of the song were playing (like the lyrics) her mic was far from her mouth.

She was performing her song 'I'm Coming Out' and she was supposed to kick this football into a HUGE goal, she misses and instead hits the goalpost splitting the goal in half. She wasn't even singing, she was definitely lip syncing because when parts of the song were playing (like the lyrics) her mic was far from her mouth.

That's how it's done at those big events -- whether Beijing or even Pavarotti in his final public appearance at Torino. When they do it live, you get a messed up performance-- like Susan Boyle forgetting the lyrics at Glasgow 2014.

AustralianFan,

you don't need to justify to anybody.

Oh, but you do. ;)

See, most of this has already been covered before. Most of it's already appeared in the YouTube Ceremonies clips -- if you or Aus. Fan will only bother to look. And it's NOT celebrated as if the producers were complete incompetents who did these things on purpose.

Start here: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/19110-ceremonies-on-utube-pt-2/

Edited by baron-pierreIV

That's how it's done at those big events -- whether Beijing or even Pavarotti in his final public appearance at Torino. When they do it live, you get a messed up performance-- like Susan Boyle forgetting the lyrics at Glasgow 2014.

Oh, but you do. ;)

See, most of this has already been covered before. Most of it's already appeared in the YouTube Ceremonies clips -- if you or Aus. Fan will only bother to look. And it's NOT celebrated as if the producers were complete incompetents who did these things on purpose.

Start here: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/19110-ceremonies-on-utube-pt-2/

That just covers the discussion of ceremonies on YouTube in general. This topic has a totally distinct purpose and I welcome it. As fun as it sounds, I wouldn't rummage through 112 pages of what is mostly probably nonsense just to find out a handful of people talking about the flops during the live ceremony that I would want to be looking for. Besides this topic is not harming you or anyone else so let it be.

the near-decapitation of Albertville's original mascot in 1988

lol what??? Is there a video of this??? this needs further explaining!

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has posted Helen Sharper infamous screwup in the Sheffield '91 Universiade yet (although it was mostly the fault of a very half-assed designed torch)

I'm surprised no one has posted Helen Sharper infamous screwup in the Sheffield '91 Universiade yet (although it was mostly the fault of a very half-assed designed torch)

I remember this!!!! That was embarrassing, at least the cauldron lit!

Thansk for sharing, I'd not seen this before. There appears to be no burning mechanism in the design, only a handful of ignitable chemicals in a cup at the tip of the torch - no wonder the emtire flame just spilled everywhere. No backup torch or flame appears either, but sounds as if they managed to ignite the cauldron somehow.