Stockholm/Åre 2026

The obvious problem for Stockholm is that their quoted budget in their bid is far lower than what their plan requires, and they will have to go to the government for more money. And at that point the people and/or politicians could tell them they won't pay. That is the scenario where they lose the games.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:48 PM, Nacre said:

The obvious problem for Stockholm is that their quoted budget in their bid is far lower than what their plan requires, and they will have to go to the government for more money. And at that point the people and/or politicians could tell them they won't pay. That is the scenario where they lose the games.

Yes, that is plausible, although at the risk of turning this into an issue of semantics, Stockholm would not "lose the games."  They would have to hand them back rather than to have them taken away from them. 

Keep in mind though.. with all the private backing this bid has, it will likely be less reliant on government funding than other non-U.S. bids.  So if Stockholm is selected as the host, that's going to make it difficult for the government to back out after they already pledged support.  Possible, sure.  But that creates an awkward situation for everyone involved where I don't know that their response would be to say "just kidding, we're not supporting this anymore" and just pull the plug on it.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

wasnt nearly good enough of a bid, but frankly it was incredibly surprising they lasted this long.  like night of the living dead, their corpse just kept walking until someone finally brought it down.

I think the Swedish government just let their Olympic/sporting community have a little fun in presenting and "backing" the bid so half-heartedly.   It just didn't build the critical mass that the Italians were able to build (even to the point of pushing aside their last big-city Olympic host, Torino, just so Milano could finally add the nomenclature "Olympic City" to its resume).  Rome finally allowed that opportunity since Milano had always been a frustrated Summer wannabee (and which slot CONI has always reserved for Rome).  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

I feel for the Swedes, and I think they *could* have pulled this off, but it's clear that the Milanese elites wanted this more, and were prepared to take the political steps to make this happen. Once Stockholm's politicians appeared lukewarm given the spread-out concept SOK should have sought another city--Gothenburg or Malmo may have been willing. They tried to avoid risk where the Italians embraced it and, as David Owen says here, the Italians were better at IOC politics which, at the end of the day, is still the politics that matters. Sports realpolitik was something the Italians have been in from the start, casting away Torino when needed. The Swedes never showed that degree of ruthlessness. They also failed to promote it domestically--Swedes were less against the bid than indifferent to it. From the time 2022 failed they should have been engaging in a campaign. As well. Best of luck to Milan.

5 hours ago, FYI said:

She’s probably with AA ATM! :D

I'm returning, but this is a full highlight. 

TBH, for a moment I thought Stockholm has had certain momentum in spoiling things, but then, after having contact with people from Stockholm and showing that lack of support (I could ever say 61% was more considering my personal experience, whatever); then the political retraction (mostly from the mayor) and then adding that sketchy press conference. I knew that was the end of Swedish bid. 

Anyway, there's always the European Games or Youth Olympics to Stockholm :P Just in case: 

I'm so disppointed about the attitude in this forum. So it is only the big countries who should be allowed to host OG? So Germany deserves WOG more than Sweden because it's bigger country? What kind of reason of that?? Some of you from the big countries are so F*****G ARROGANT!! If Germany should get it because 2018 loss then Sweden deserves it because all our losses. Sweden have more losses than Germany.

About medals: Oh no if so Norway should win. They are as big WOG country as Germany and they are only 4.5 millions compared to Germany's 80 millions.

What have influnce and power to do with this? Once again it this only for the biggest and richest countries? What kind of attitude is that?

Sorry, with that attitude I will NOT support a German bid! In fact I wil totally hate it!

Yes, and with all these arrogant people in this forum I have a VERY good reason to whining! How was it now? Germany deserve the WOG because they are a bigger country than Sweden? Hmmm so when we the new rule about how large a country need to be to host a WOG?? This would be so terrible if the big country with too much power and influence already should get the rights to host OG only. This is not the attitude that the worlds needs. Soon no one except China, Russia, France, UK, Germany, Spain and USA will be allowed to host the OG if IOC have the same kind of attitude as this forum. This would be absolutely terrible.

So NO I wouldn't support a German bid! I would totally hate it!

Well, only add Italy, Japan, Canada and Australia in the equation. Especially Italy.

Yes the swedish goverment said no to Åre/Östersund. It's hardly surprising since they have failed so many times. This is what I fear with the idiot in IOC. They will praise big nations as Germany, Spain, France, USA ect and the smaller countries will stop to bid to WOG and SOG. But that's what's the corrupt IOC probably want, LOL!

...and here comes the Östersund bashing!!! Why I'm not surprised since this is a Sweden hating and threatened forum? From now on all WOG should be hosted in USA, Norway, Canada and Germany or something like that, right? Wouldn't that be very boring to see the same countries host the WOG again and again? Well on the other side Sweden will not be ruined as those countries will be! Congrats!

19 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

I'm returning, but this is a full highlight. 

OMG, Roger! Where in the world have you been?! So glad that you’re back! ;) Miss your insightful, other POV posts! 

And speaking of certain misguided posts like the ones you just quoted, there’s other previous short-sighted posts just like those that are a thing of nostagia now around here. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, FYI said:

OMG, Roger! Where in the world have you been?! So glad that you’re back! ;) Miss your insightful, other POV posts! 

And speaking of certain misguided posts like the ones you just quoted, there’s other previous short-sighted posts just like those that are a thing of nostagia now around here. :lol:

Thanks. Well, I was busy, but I'll try to be on board.

• Like 1