Go Putrajaya 2024! Go Hambantota 2024! Go Mosul 2024!

whitney-houston-o.gif

Why do people keep pushing for Hambantota when Colombo is Sri Lanka's most populated city and the only one with actual infrastructure and resources already in place to host the games?

Well... Ask Mr. Mahinda Rajapaksa for the answers :D

I like the names of the cities! Hambantota and Putrajaya sound exotic to me!

You got the point, Miss Eurasia. I put those names forward because they sound so weird. They don't exactly roll of the tongue and don't convey images of western cities that are ready to roll in hosting these big follies called the Olympic Games in 2 years' time. LatinTX just thinks this is a serious exercise in proposing 'realistic' cities. :rolleyes:

Ulan Bator is the grand-daddy of all these improbably, exotic-sounding would-be Olympic hosts! It has its own legend here. Puppy and I (well, Puppy mostly, but lit by my initial brilliant idea!!!) created its bid book in our younger, more randy days. Tananarive and Ouagadagou are also in the same class as these strange-sounding, will-NEVER-be serious Olympic candidate cities. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Ooooh!! Do you still have it? It would be a great addition to the FantasyDocs Library!

I also like Mogadishu! Thats a great name too

Ask Puppy (TNMP). He keeps those things; I don't. UB's planned torch relay was an intergalactic one...but bypassing the pesky 4th Quadrant. And then when it returned for the Opening Ceremony. It (the Space Shuttle carrying the torch) was to fly directly into the cauldron for one SPECTACULAR LIGHTING!!!

whitney-houston-o.gif

Why do people keep pushing for Hambantota when Colombo is Sri Lanka's most populated city and the only one with actual infrastructure and resources already in place to host the games?

Because the former President of Sri Lanka (who was recently voted out of office) is from the area. As with any dictator they do whatever they want until they are out of power.

• Like 1