Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

India Possible Contender For 2024 Summer Olympic Bid

A formal plan is reportedly being worked on for Ahmadabad, India to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games.  International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach is scheduled to be in India next month for an official visit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, but there are reports that hosting the Games in 2024 will consume […]

View the full article

Shouldn't this have been posted yesterday?

Yeah, feels really like a joke. Even if they want a "warm-up" bid only, why pick a - internationally - unknown city for that?

Shouldn't this have been posted yesterday?

The 2010 Commonwealth Games were an organizational disgrace, so (as a friend of the Indian people) I'm completely on board with everyone's condemnation of the shambolic planning of Messrs Kalmadi and Bhanot.

That said, these two non-Delhi establishment hacks with zero business experience do not represent India or Indians. I went back a while back and spent a couple of hours reading the old 2010 Commonwealth Games thread: whilst some of the comments were quite gracious, a few posters really took the opportunity to bash India and Indians in general...a tone I didn't exactly appreciate. Brazil and South Africa have seen their problems, and massive ones at that - corruption, slum-dwelling, greed, racial conflict, construction delays...yesterday, I read yet another report about the bay in which Olympic sailing is supposed to take place in Rio de Janeiro being infested with pollutants and garbage. Yet, for some reason, I only see people agitated when reports about India appear. Could it be that some people out there (not necessarily on this forum, where I've felt all individuals to have been very respectful and kind towards me), especially in the mass media, still have preconceptions about India and Indians in their head? Surely, the country has made massive strides - and yet, I hear the same old tired tropes about India: it's dirty, it's loud, it's strange, the food is unexpected and, and, and. And with the increasing reports about sexual assaults appearing in (sensationalized) news reports, you could be forgiven to think that India is the only country on this planet suffering from rape or cultural dissonance between men and women.

Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest - and this is not me having a go at anyone on this forum, but more at a news media that (unwittingly or not) vilifies one-sixth of mankind as being organizationally incapable, inept, incompetent, depraved and downright undesirable subjects to ever mount a winning Olympic bid. Whilst I see that the Indian sports establishment still has to do a lot more to get India up in the medals tally (where it has a shameful ranking considering its size, population and prospective talent pool from among the country's youth), India wouldn't exactly be "Qatar, just bigger".

I agree, they're not ready yet, but by the mid-2030s, I definitely give them a shot to at least mount a credible bid that will lead to a victory in a bidding process in short order.

All of that said, Ahmedabad is a joke - New Delhi is the only credible choice for India to do a warm-up bid or even a full-fledged bid...none of the other cities have the name recognition and cachet.

Further, 2024 appears a bit early...

Lot's of good things about Ahmedabad... for one thing it avoid of lot of the chaos you would see in the bigger cities. But it has room to build.

As far as size, it's a lot bigger than Boston to Hamburg.

It does have a bit of a weather problem. August is in the middle of a wicked monsoon season. Realistically, they are looking at May or October (both of which are still darn hot.)

<_< Reallllly...

Using the 2010 CWGs as an example of how to completely **** up a major sports event management should be enough for the IOC to say "not just now, but thanks for your enthusisim."

• Like 1

Wait...was this supposed to be posted yesterday? Or do you guys just stink at good April Fools jokes.

Had India not botched the Commonwealth Games, I'd say India would be a contender to land an Olympics, with Delhi, not Ahmedabad. Bidding with Ahmedabad would be like China bidding with Shenyang.

• Like 1

I think the whole Ahmedabad thing must be a joke - no one outside of India knows it. Agreed, India needs to rehabilitate itself by hosting a multi-sport event like the Asian Games first.

Well, as if India's bid needed any more help, *21* Indian Weightlifters have been provisionally suspended for doping.

Yep, heard that one as well - if the Indians are smart, they'll sit this one out. Get the basics right, then, by all means, forward with a well-planned bid...

Bid with Delhi first, whilst claiming that despite the problems, Delhi was a success. Add the Cricket World Cup to boot. Only if such a bid fails, then do you really need to prove yourselves and host another Asian Games.

Well you could do that, but if India is bound to land a games eventually, then why waste the development on a no name city and just use Delhi, which is the only city which is remotely capable of hosting.

Brazil and South Africa have seen their problems, and massive ones at that - corruption, slum-dwelling, greed, racial conflict, construction delays...yesterday, I read yet another report about the bay in which Olympic sailing is supposed to take place in Rio de Janeiro being infested with pollutants and garbage.
I believe that you are completely wrong about the current concept of the Olympic Games. Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago's cities are in a worse infrastructure that Rio? Of course not! And this is the reason of Rio have been chosen to host the Olympics. Cause Rio was the only city among the three others candidates in the Olympic Games would impact and positively transform the city.
Barcelona-92 is considered the best Olympiad in history because it was the Olympiad that left the greatest legacy to the city in the transport, tourism, revitalization of abandoned areas, etc.
- Most of the trash images in Guanabara Bay are other cities like Duque de Caxias and São Gonçalo. Why the TV does not show the trash where the competitions will actually be carried out on Flamengo beach and the Marina da Gloria??? (Photos)
12304811693_241a4dacd6_h.jpg
14693647792_ab844b38f7_b.jpg
- Only 6% of the Brazilian population live in slums and 21% of the population of the city of Rio de Janeiro live in slums. And 70% of 21% is inside the middle class. It has cable TV, go to college, have a good job. It's a perfect life? No. But much better than the sensationalism that TV shows.
About delays ...
IOC chief 'very satisfied' with progress for Rio 2016 - http://goo.gl/9hLSsE
Inspection team impressed by progress of Rio 2016 Olympic preparations - http://goo.gl/CYZr94

Well you could do that, but if India is bound to land a games eventually, then why waste the development on a no name city and just use Delhi, which is the only city which is remotely capable of hosting.

So basically what you are saying is let India be **** until they get a games? Just hoping that they will eventually get them if they wait long enough?

I believe that you are completely wrong about the current concept of the Olympic Games. Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago's cities are in a worse infrastructure that Rio? Of course not! And this is the reason of Rio have been chosen to host the Olympics. Cause Rio was the only city among the three others candidates in the Olympic Games would impact and positively transform the city.

Good point. I think the IOC really does look into how much the games will change the city for the better.

• Like 1

Bid with Delhi first, whilst claiming that despite the problems, Delhi was a success. Add the Cricket World Cup to boot. Only if such a bid fails, then do you really need to prove yourselves and host another Asian Games.

I'm not sure whether this is directly addressed to me, since I posted immediately before you. In case it is, I happen to be German (born and bred, as they say), though with strong sympathies for India (also due to my family background).

No one in their right mind would claim Delhi 2010 to have been a success for the CWG...hence, why the Asian Games would be the logical step for Delhi to take.

Or fix the rampant poverty, awful education levels, the corruption. etc etc

Darcy, with respect, but this type of off-hand comment makes you sound incredibly ignorant. Am I to understand from your statement that there has been absolutely zero corruption in countries hosting the Olympic Games?

For the sake of discussion, let's take Brazil - the next country playing host to the Olympic Games. You might want to examine reports by organizations that actually deal with this complex subject on a more professional basis, like Transparency International. In the Corruption Perceptions Index, Brazil is ranked alongside role-model EU members like Greece: at #69 out of 176 countries in the world. Just in 2013, Brazil was projected to suffer losses worth $53 billion from instances of corruption. Besides the major Petrobras scandal that has now engendered calls for President Rousseff to be impeached, a joint survey by the Ministry of Justice and the United Nations found that the Rio police force is the most corrupt across Brazil (both military and civilian police, that is). Police officers are being arrested for their involvement in institutional corruption on a recurring basis (see [1], [2]). Yes, we consider the World Cup a success (and as a German, I naturally do): But that has overshadowed allegations of mismanagement and corruption (that includes overrunning construction costs), including the bribing of Brazilian officials by German companies [1]. In fact, Brazilian businessmen themselves identified corruption as a major constraint in a 2009 World Bank study, at a rate of 69%. Or how about this OECD Report about major incidences of bribery in Brazil? (pages 9-13 make for riveting reading) Or maybe you would consider this major corruption case involving the construction of a hydroelectric dam? Tax avoidance by Brazilian companies is clearly an issue as well.

Next up, poverty: Let's stay with Brazil on this subject. According to Brazil itself, one-fifth of its population is below the poverty line (with some 16 million in extreme poverty. That's right, 40 million people - that'd be more than Australia, New Zealand and probably the nearby Pacific island states combined; or, for my fellow Europeans, this number is equivalent to half of Germany or two-thirds of France and the United Kingdom. Brazilians consider this a serious problem, as seen in this essay.

With just one-third of India's population, one decade ago, Brazil was essentially a leader in income inequality prior to President Lula assuming office in 2002. Why I quote this particular statistic? To show that governments make a difference. India has a new Conservative government that is focused like a laser beam on delivering the fruits of prosperity to all Indians, after six decades of a centre-left that threw the country to the wolves of corruption, carelessness and institutionalized inefficiency. India knows no social security system, unlike the Bolsa Familia plan espoused by Brazil - this approach has been characterized as giving people money. In other words, Brazil is humanizing poverty, making it more bearable. Brazilian prosperity this is not, Darcy - hence, the mass protests that have essentially been going on, on and off, since the run-up to the 2014 World Cup. How about another favourite meme in Western media, the "those guys are building stadia/exploring space/constructing nuclear weapons/hosting sports events, whilst the poor masses are left to die!" that is regularly deployed against India and Indians? Let's check this one out in Brazil! Or how about this feature? Heartbreaking? Gut-wrenching? Certainly. Apparently, Google and Microsoft seem to believe that Rio's 40 favelas are substantial enough to merit their own mapping project. How about the fact that there are virtual no-go zones for the police in Rio? Life is no less gut-wrenching in a favela in Rio than in a slum in Delhi or Bombay. Yet, the mass media only extols the tough lot of those poor, destitute Indians...By the way, Brazil and India aren't the only BRICS countries where poverty exists in substantial numbers: China has it too, and in spades. In fact, the UN itself characterizes both China and India as being "marked by deep poverty".

I'm not quite sure what you mean by awful education levels, Darcy. The fact is that approximately 45 million people in Brazil are considered functionally illiterate. UNESCO considers around 10-11% of the Brazilian population illiterate. Overall, 82 million Chinese live on less than $1 a day. Tens of millions of Chinese, regardless of the contentious metrics used, live in abject, gut-wrenching poverty, despite the country's overall economic rise.

Could it be that we suffer from cognitive dissonance regarding Brazil and India? We all love the idea of the beaches of Ipanema, the sound of the beautiful Portuguese language and the love of life espoused by Brazilian people everywhere (expressed through their culture, sport and attitude). Popular culture has served to transport that romantic image into our minds, and it seems that apart from some instances of political corruption, we in Western industrialized nations tend to discount issues like favelas. Meanwhile, what do most people know about India? How much is actually taught to Western schoolchildren? How many people in our countries have travelled to India beyond a week or two? Judging from my own experiences, very little. India is either portrayed as an idealized spiritual land or depicted as a cesspool of corruption, widow-burning, violence, social backwardness and poverty. That's like saying Brazil is all about the favelas, all of South Africa looks like Soweto and the behaviour of Chinese tourists is representative of all Chinese. It'd be ignorant, ill-informed and quite insufferable.

India only emerged an independent country in 1947. What can readily be done in Singapore, with its comparably smaller population and Confucian ethic, cannot be done straight away in India. But considering the abysmally low rates of literacy, productivity and GDP that the United Kingdom saddled India with during its colonial rule, I believe that India is doing quite well. Does it have social issues that it needs to fix? Absolutely! Economic inequality, social housing, corruption and some aspects need to be fixed - and pronto. But India also doesn't have the benefit of an authoritarian dictatorship, unlike China.

Why are Indians more readily condemned for the failings of a small political elite, and the capacity of Brazilians, South Africans and Chinese not questioned whatsoever - despite the considerable social problems faced by these nations? Ask yourself this question and examine your attitudes that may very well be ingrained for the past few decades, really. I'm all for legitimate, constructive criticism - but too often, it ends up veering into unnuanced India-bashing. That's quite simply not good enough.

Do I think Rio should host the Games? Certainly. But not giving India a fair shake for problems encountered by many other countries smacks of double standards...

Barcelona-92 is considered the best Olympiad in history because it was the Olympiad that left the greatest legacy to the city in the transport, tourism, revitalization of abandoned areas, etc.
- Most of the trash images in Guanabara Bay are other cities like Duque de Caxias and São Gonçalo. Why the TV does not show the trash where the competitions will actually be carried out on Flamengo beach and the Marina da Gloria??? (Photos)
12304811693_241a4dacd6_h.jpg
14693647792_ab844b38f7_b.jpg
- Only 6% of the Brazilian population live in slums and 21% of the population of the city of Rio de Janeiro live in slums. And 70% of 21% is inside the middle class. It has cable TV, go to college, have a good job. It's a perfect life? No. But much better than the sensationalism that TV shows.
About delays ...
IOC chief 'very satisfied' with progress for Rio 2016 - http://goo.gl/9hLSsE
Inspection team impressed by progress of Rio 2016 Olympic preparations - http://goo.gl/CYZr94

I'm completely in agreement with you. What I'm trying to demonstrate with these comparisons is simple: The media sensationalize real problems, BUT they also tend to be quite biased. Anyhow, I hope you'll understand that I was NOT slating Brazil or the Brazilian people!

Given the legacy implications of the modern Olympic Games, it makes far more sense to go to cities where the Olympic Games can make a substantial impact on overall civic life.

• Like 1

I believe we can not expect to be a perfect country to host big events. Brazil still continues with a large population in the favelas (around 6%), and high rates of crime. But I think we should show that we are changing this scenario of poverty and violence.

In the last 12 years 50 million people left poverty and into the middle class. This is twice the population of australia [23 million] and the close of the population of England [53 million], and a quarter of the total population of Brazil.

In 2000 had less than 2.5% of the population in colleges. In 10 years this number increased by 4 times to 10%.

And down a chart about the homicide rate in Rio de Janeiro state. It is still a high rate, but that is the lowest in last years.

numeros-rio.jpg
  • Like 1

Precisely - it's the upward trajectory that matters first and foremost. Especially when coming from numbers that used to be less than stellar.

My case is that people are all too willing to simply dismiss India on the basis of anecdotal experience, hearsay or what their preferred media outlet tells them - when the economic data and progress over the past 25 years speaks a different language altogether. India ain't perfect at all, but some statements really have the level of unnuanced Daily Mail reader comments, not a forum which I have experienced to consist of intelligent and thoughtful individuals.

In all fairness, I'm also not a huge fan of the defensive Indian reflex (à la Mugabe, I suppose) to put dismiss all legitimate criticism by third parties as being motivated by some nefarious motive. In other words, I'm for balance on both sides of the discussion...

We can see interesting points in this chart.

In 2007, when Rio hosted the Pan American games we had the lowest rate of all chart. Later the numbers grow until 2009, the year Rio was elected to host the olympics and down again.

I dont know much about India. I heard a lot of stereotypes and was scared with a TV Show about brazilians living in Mumbai and New Delhi. No rules for transit, terrible education, a lot of slums, well, the biggest slum of the world is there. And bizzare habits like people shitting in the street or fight to get on a train/bus. Anyway i heard is a really safe place. Maybe i can be wrong about this.