Ever notice things in opening ceremonies...

after re-watching them that you never noticed before when you first saw them?

Currently re-watching the OC from Atlanta and noticed two things. First, when the spirits were summoned, the first one to come out was the yellow/Asian spirit, but when it came out music with a didgeridoo was being played. And they didn't come out linear from left to right, like the Asian spirit came out first and was 2nd from left, then came the Oceanic spirit which was first from left. So not sure if it was purposely supposed to be mixed up or not.

Also, I never noticed this but the outfits that the sun and moon spirits wore, especially the moon spirit, in the Summertime segment made them look a bit like Ku Klux Klan outfits. Probably doesn't make it any better that the games were hosted in a region that was known as a hotspot for KKK activity in the past. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into it, but anyone else notice anything from OCs that stick out to you now more than when you first watched them?

• Like 1

Currently re-watching the OC from Atlanta and noticed two things. First, when the spirits were summoned, the first one to come out was the yellow/Asian spirit, but when it came out music with a didgeridoo was being played. And they didn't come out linear from left to right, like the Asian spirit came out first and was 2nd from left, then came the Oceanic spirit which was first from left. So not sure if it was purposely supposed to be mixed up or not.

Also, I never noticed this but the outfits that the sun and moon spirits wore, especially the moon spirit, in the Summertime segment made them look a bit like Ku Klux Klan outfits. Probably doesn't make it any better that the games were hosted in a region that was known as a hotspot for KKK activity in the past. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into it, but anyone else notice anything from OCs that stick out to you now more than when you first watched them?

:lol: Get Baron to answer this... :)

Well, #1 - remember that the colors of the rings do NOT represent the continents (or the races) -- so let's toss out the notion that yellow represents Asia. That being said -- and even though I sat in the stands many a time watching some parts of the 1996 rehearsals (awaiting our turn, plus everything else going on in the stadium), I never really paid attention to why "yellow" was first.

#2 - My only guess is that it's the attractive/alive/eye-catching color of the five to start out with. You wouldn't start with "black" because that would be an absolute drag and thud. Not blue (boring), not green (that could've been an alternative), nor red (too Commie). So, yellow would be the best color for the eyes and the TV cameras to wake everybody up.

And then you had those giant swaths of fabric coming down over the audience, so "yellow" would certainly be the most eye-catching to start out with.

That's really the "only" reason I can think of.

As for the rest, LatinTX, as you said, you're just reading way too much into this. (Those Southern spirits/sun/moon things were just thrown in to give some "theatrical substance" to the ceremony.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 2