Competition Schedule Released!

I doubt the ceremony will start before 8 or 9 pm. I've noticed several times in the past that the start times for both the OC and CC will be different than stated on the early release of the schedule.

In London schedule the ceremony was the market starts at 19:30 and started at 20:00. I doubt that the ceremony in Rio start after 19:00, an hour after that is marked on schedule. Also takes 45 minutes to get the Olimpico Park to the Maracana Stadium. If it's all right we will see sweaty athletes in ceremony. :lol:

I'm a tad disappointed that Rugby 7s is going with 3 groups of 4 rather than 2 groups of 6. They don't really have the time constraints that, say, men's Ice Hockey or women's Football have so I don't really get why they'd go that route.

The gymnastics events were held during the afternoon in London, so that's not really that unusual. Not sure what NBC did or didn't try and do there.

Don't know if we'll see NBCSN do live afternoon coverage with a re-airing during primetime. There's too much going on at the Summer Olympics to justify the time like that. Plus, unlike figure skating from Sochi which was in the late morning/early afternoon, this is a shorter turn-around, so I don't know if it makes sense. Of course, who saw the live figure skating coverage coming from Sochi until it was announced, so who knows.

I think you're on the money with your guess with primetime. Most of the big track & field finals in the 2nd week are in the 9pm-10pm range, but beach volleyball is usually late anyway, so that should work out nicely. I'll be curious to see what cable coverage looks like. Clearly we'll see the cable networks fired up against NBC primetime. I just hope they don't scale back on that coverage in order to not compete with NBC.

maybe live gymnastics on USA Network?

maybe live gymnastics on USA Network?

Again, wouldn't count on it. Most of the gymnastics is going on too late in the afternoon to justify showing it live and then coming back just a couple of hours later on primetime. That they did it with figure skating in Sochi is a different set of circumstances than we have here.

Swimming (Finals)

USA – 9 PM

CHINA – 9 AM

JAPAN – 10 AM

NETHERLANDS3 AM

AUSTRALIA – 11 AM

RUSSIA – 4 PM

SOUTH AFRICA – 3 AM

Athletics (Finals)

USA/ CUBA/ JAMAICA – 8:30 AM/ 7 PM

RUSSIA – 3:30 PM/ 2 AM

UK – 1:30 PM / 00 AM

ETHIOPIA – 3:30 PM / 2 AM

CHINA – 8:30 PM/ 7 AM

FRANCE/ GERMANY – 2:30 PM/1AM

Gymnastics Trampolining/Artistic/ Rhythmic

CHINA – 3 AM/1 AM/10 PM

RUSSIA – 10 PM/8 PM/5 PM

USA -3 PM/1 PM/10 AM

JAPAN – 4 AM/2 AM/11 PM

UK – 8 PM/6 PM/3 PM

I'm a tad disappointed that Rugby 7s is going with 3 groups of 4 rather than 2 groups of 6. They don't really have the time constraints that, say, men's Ice Hockey or women's Football have so I don't really get why they'd go that route.

They are groups of four in the IRB world series so they are just keeping it consistent I suppose, but I do agree that groups of six would be better.

They are groups of four in the IRB world series so they are just keeping it consistent I suppose, but I do agree that groups of six would be better.

I had checking the schedule and the final of the basketball is at 6:15 PM, 15 minutes later the Closing Ceremony, at 6:00 PM. Is it possible? lol

That is strange to schedule it that way if it is correct. I know in London there was at least a couple of hours between the end of the game and the start of the closing ceremony, although none of the basketball players from the final went to the ceremony anyways.

makes more senese to have gymnistacs on tape due to short turnaround?

That's what I think. Again, the difference with a Winter Olympics is that there are fewer events, so they have more time to air something like figure skating twice. With the Summer Olympcs, if they were to show gymnastics live and then again on tape, they have to cut something out of the schedule. That plus it's mid-afternoon as opposed to late morning, so I don't think it's a wise idea.

With the exception of athletics, swimming, (beach) volleyball and taekwondo, they're not bad times for Europe either. I just hope our teams can avoid playing later than 7 pm BRT as much as possible during the preliminary rounds.

Archived