Competition Schedule Released!

Why is the convention to have every swimming event squeezed into the first 8 days and every athletics event squeezed into the last 10? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the athletes involved in multiple events to have more rest between events? It's not like they share venues.

Lol this schedule tells us nothing

Why is the convention to have every swimming event squeezed into the first 8 days and every athletics event squeezed into the last 10? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the athletes involved in multiple events to have more rest between events? It's not like they share venues.

Because Opening Ceremony

The actual competition schedule will be released March 31st

Please they are the two premier prime time events that they do not want to compete with each other.

But the swimming venue does share with the other aquatics disciplines including diving and synchro, so those have to be split up. And with athletics (aside from Rio where it's a different stadium), you also need to reset some things after the ceremonies

But yes, as Faster noted, the main reason is to split up the premiere events of the Games.. mostly swimming and gymnastics in the first week, diving and athletics the 2nd week. Besides, to spread these sports too thin would mean each day/night of competition, you're not seeing all that much. Swimming used to last only 6 days before they started to spread it out to where it is now

Because TV.

And I for one would like to see it *harder* to get multiple medals, not easier. More special that way.

Lol this schedule tells us nothing

Because Opening Ceremony

The actual competition schedule will be released March 31st

The OC will not be held in the same stadium as the athletics/track & field events, so that's not main reason. Although they could have done it since it became the standard schedule of previous games because of that reason.

I would rather see everyone competing on a level playing field so that the best athlete wins the event rather than losing to a well-rested competitor.

They are all on a level playing field. The nature of sport is to be in good enough shape to compete on consecutive days.

After the last couple summer games, I can honestly say I am tickled to death that the competition day starts at a reasonable hour here in the Eastern Time Zone.

Too bad it will be the last Olympics for at least years to have reasonable timing for the Eastern Time Zone.

After the last couple summer games, I can honestly say I am tickled to death that the competition day starts at a reasonable hour here in the Eastern Time Zone.

Second that. It's going to be great having a lot of events to choose from in primetime rather than having the day wrap up in the late afternoon or early evening. Love that there will be competitions in Rio past Midnight as well. Now we just need NBC to fire up their cable networks in the evenings up against primetime, something they've been reluctant to do in the past.

Few time ago i have read some articles in the brazilian midia mostly of events like swim and voley will be at midnight because NBC wanna show this events in primetime. And thats right, anyway i think show a event around 10 PM and midnight is good to Brazilian TV too. Rede Globo TV will not need to take your schedule the soap opera of the 9 PM, which is the most watched program in Brazil diariamente. I think it's not only the fault of NBC.

Few time ago i have read some articles in the brazilian midia mostly of events like swim and voley will be at midnight because NBC wanna show this events in primetime. And thats right, anyway i think show a event around 10 PM and midnight is good to Brazilian TV too. Rede Globo TV will not need to take your schedule the soap opera of the 9 PM, which is the most watched program in Brazil diariamente. I think it's not only the fault of NBC.

Clearly some of the scheduling has been done directly for the benefit of NBC, but from what I've read, some of the times won't necessarily be that problematic for Brazilians. Beach volleyball is obviously going to be a huge deal, but it's a sport that goes on all day through the early rounds of the tournament. That the matches stretch past Midnight doesn't seem like it's a huge deal, although I was surprised the last of the knockout matches, including the gold matches matches, will be that late as well

Yeah, I hope to travel to Tokyo, but I don't expect to see many of the 2018 or 2022 events live.

Remember that morning in East Asia is primetime on the US East Coast.. .and that many of the winter events can be schedule for morning.

This. NBC has never done an Asian Winter Olympics before. A lot of outdoor events, particularly the Alpine races, often take place in the late morning/early afternoon. I believe Korea is 14 hours ahead of the East coast of the United States so 8pm here is 10am there. So that's a pretty nice window for some live events in US primetime

The only real surprise for me is that none of the gymnastics will be live in primetime. I'm sure this was a compromise for European audiences to have one of the big ticket events in their primetime since swimming and track will be in the middle of the night. Still, I thought that NBC would still have wanted at least the team and all-around finals to be live. I hope they show the gymnastics live on NBCSN in the afternoon and then re-package for primetime like they did with figure skating last year.

Assuming the same 8pm-midnight window, NBC's primetime should set up nicely for the first week:

8-9pm--Live beach volleyball or taped gymnastics

9-11pm--Live swimming (possibly with some taped gymnastics during breaks and medal ceremonies)

11pm-midnight--Live beach volleyball or taped gymnastics

For the second week, switch live swimming for live track and add taped diving.

It'll be interested to see if they leverage NBCSN during primetime and whether they offer the swimming and track events live on the internet or force everyone to the live coverage on NBC.

The only real surprise for me is that none of the gymnastics will be live in primetime. I'm sure this was a compromise for European audiences to have one of the big ticket events in their primetime since swimming and track will be in the middle of the night. Still, I thought that NBC would still have wanted at least the team and all-around finals to be live. I hope they show the gymnastics live on NBCSN in the afternoon and then re-package for primetime like they did with figure skating last year.

Assuming the same 8pm-midnight window, NBC's primetime should set up nicely for the first week:

8-9pm--Live beach volleyball or taped gymnastics

9-11pm--Live swimming (possibly with some taped gymnastics during breaks and medal ceremonies)

11pm-midnight--Live beach volleyball or taped gymnastics

For the second week, switch live swimming for live track and add taped diving.

It'll be interested to see if they leverage NBCSN during primetime and whether they offer the swimming and track events live on the internet or force everyone to the live coverage on NBC.

The gymnastics events were held during the afternoon in London, so that's not really that unusual. Not sure what NBC did or didn't try and do there.

Don't know if we'll see NBCSN do live afternoon coverage with a re-airing during primetime. There's too much going on at the Summer Olympics to justify the time like that. Plus, unlike figure skating from Sochi which was in the late morning/early afternoon, this is a shorter turn-around, so I don't know if it makes sense. Of course, who saw the live figure skating coverage coming from Sochi until it was announced, so who knows.

I think you're on the money with your guess with primetime. Most of the big track & field finals in the 2nd week are in the 9pm-10pm range, but beach volleyball is usually late anyway, so that should work out nicely. I'll be curious to see what cable coverage looks like. Clearly we'll see the cable networks fired up against NBC primetime. I just hope they don't scale back on that coverage in order to not compete with NBC.

I doubt the ceremony will start before 8 or 9 pm. I've noticed several times in the past that the start times for both the OC and CC will be different than stated on the early release of the schedule.

Archived