Ted Cruz running for US president in 2016

B) the folks most opposed to Common Core either have no idea what it is, or are blatantly lying about it.

In other words, Tea Partiers...the dumbest or most selfish of the lot!

I'm actually a Blue Dog Democrat and I'm not that big a fan of Common Core because from what I have seen of it, it still ignores the basic problem of US education: It is still a highly industrial system that does not adequately prepare our students for the future job markets.

Frightening thought: this guy is such an egomaniac, what's stopping him from running as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination? That would mean that we would see him in the debates.

I want to see him in the debates. It will be the final nail in the coffin for the Tea Party.

:o

CA7T9WFWUAAfk7N.jpg

Legit, the only thing I think is not too crazy on this list is to 'Beef up foreign Policy' because I think the United States should be more assertive in some areas of the world and should be establishing more trade agreements and taking out truly horrible regimes like North Korea. Not to mention get our assess out of the Middle East and work with Turkey to establish some type of peace. In short I think the US should be using its Global position and foreign policy to bring about prosperity and enlightenment ideals around the world, but I imagine his idea of 'Beefing up' in nuclear war with Russia.

In other words, Tea Partiers...the dumbest or most selfish of the lot!

Not all of them are selfish, and not all of them are dumb, but what they all have in common is the idea that the major parties are standing up for the elites and big business rather then the people and small business. The problem is that their 'agenda' has in some regards been adopted and abused by the people who they are supposedly fighting against...and of course all the radical Christians who treat the Tea Party ideals as the political bible sent from the son of God Ronald Reagan and his mother Margaret Thatcher.

Will Republicans EVER come up with a sane, rational, decent human being for presidential candidate instead of an endless succession of ignorant, bigoted right-wing nutters?

Probably, whenever the Baby Boomers die out and the reformicons finally take over the party. Until then expect an endless succession of ignorant, bigoted, wealthy, racist, classist, right-wing nutters. Too bad all the sane party members don't have the balls to get the nomination and change the party.

Though rest-assured everyone, the only thing Ted Cruz WILL do is make the Republican debates a very interesting line-up of right-wing nutters all fighting about stuff they all agree on. Ted Cruz will basically shift what could have been a more moderate Republican platform back to the far right.

Also, if Cruz can run for President....then that means that Thatcher's grandson can do it too. From what I hear he's from Dallas and even more of a nutter then Cruz.

mt-392961.jpg

Could this be the next right-wing nutter nominee? Thatcher 2024?

I think the Americans and the Western World in general need to take a much more cautious approach to foreign policy. The Islamification of Turkey and their reluctance to take any stand in the Iran-Saudi Arabia proxy war that is currently unfolding makes them an unreliable and potentially duplicitous to any NATO objective. As a collective of 30 to 40 countries we need to consolidate are own interests with each other and create policy and military that is far more mobile to better position the West to counteract and respond to various occurrences. The West cannot police the world. If China wants to spend their fortune building ridiculous empty cities and sports infrastructure in Africa and SEA so be it. The West needs to be in a better position to react and create positive relationships. Iran is a perfect example. Many believe that the current Iranian system will not hold out for another decade. Creating a situation where you can turn Iran into a stable ally (and a much more palatable one then Saudi Arabia) is more beneficial then to block, hinder and harden Iranian views on the USA.

I'm actually a Blue Dog Democrat and I'm not that big a fan of Common Core because from what I have seen of it, it still ignores the basic problem of US education: It is still a highly industrial system that does not adequately prepare our students for the future job markets.

I want to see him in the debates. It will be the final nail in the coffin for the Tea Party.

Legit, the only thing I think is not too crazy on this list is to 'Beef up foreign Policy' because I think the United States should be more assertive in some areas of the world and should be establishing more trade agreements and taking out truly horrible regimes like North Korea. Not to mention get our assess out of the Middle East and work with Turkey to establish some type of peace. In short I think the US should be using its Global position and foreign policy to bring about prosperity and enlightenment ideals around the world, but I imagine his idea of 'Beefing up' in nuclear war with Russia.

Not all of them are selfish, and not all of them are dumb, but what they all have in common is the idea that the major parties are standing up for the elites and big business rather then the people and small business. The problem is that their 'agenda' has in some regards been adopted and abused by the people who they are supposedly fighting against...and of course all the radical Christians who treat the Tea Party ideals as the political bible sent from the son of God Ronald Reagan and his mother Margaret Thatcher.

Probably, whenever the Baby Boomers die out and the reformicons finally take over the party. Until then expect an endless succession of ignorant, bigoted, wealthy, racist, classist, right-wing nutters. Too bad all the sane party members don't have the balls to get the nomination and change the party.

Though rest-assured everyone, the only thing Ted Cruz WILL do is make the Republican debates a very interesting line-up of right-wing nutters all fighting about stuff they all agree on. Ted Cruz will basically shift what could have been a more moderate Republican platform back to the far right.

Unlike many in my country, I'm a firm supporter of the Atlantic Alliance. I think countries like Germany have far more in common with the United States than Russia - and to pretend otherwise appears at best myopic, and at worst ideologically motivated and stupid. That said, the evolution of US politics for the past quarter-century or so is a cause for concern for anyone wanting the United States to be a force of stability across the world. What follows now is both a rant and some reflection on how someone like Ted Cruz can even be a plausible candidate for the Republican nomination in the 21st century.

In order to make sure that there is no doubt about my political orientation: I'm centre-right, I refer to myself as a progressive conservative. I'm for low taxes (but not a flat tax), an efficient welfare state, a strong defence and commitment to NATO, a healthy scepticism towards the EU, a strategic immigration policy and crucially quite easygoing on social issues (pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, against religion in schools or any role in public life). Also, I don't tend to demonize political opponents from the other side of the aisle as traitors, evil-doers, conspirators who want to destroy Germany or lacking in patriotism. I just happen to have major differences with them about how our country ought to be run (i.e. I don't believe that throwing money at every problem or involving the state in everything is the solution; in fact, I believe that we Germans rely way too much on the government). I also happen to believe in science and trust the data-based change for climate change. I think it's for us mere mortals to run our countries and not permanently drag God into every tax debate that there is.

It's from this vantage point that I'll write my little rant.

I have tried to seriously discuss politics with Tea Party supporters on the web and in real life. When challenged on their assumptions, they dispute the facts without backing up their own theories. They make an emotional case, as opposed to a rational case. They condemn Obama for policies originally supported, underwritten and crafted by Republicans. In many cases, like the hapless and idiotic Michele Bachmann, they gleefully lie to the public (remember the one about the President spending $1 billion a day on his trip to India - yeah, that was a lie). They either deny or downplay his successes (um hello, the man cuts unemployment, the debt and the deficit in half and all he gets is: "Pah, the economy is still ****!" - "Yeah, you idiots, it's MUCH better than Dubya ever left it in!") or credit them to others (remember those Repubs saying Obama had NOTHING to do with Osama bin Laden's death? They said "oh, the military killed him" to which I always said: "Who does the military take its orders from?". The answer is usually stunned silence or a desperate attempt to change the topic). There is no nuance of reflection, civility (can you imagine how often they resort to ad hominem attacks, with their favourite one either being "you're a moron" or "what a libtard") or respect. In other words, it's important to not leave them an inch to stand on, to fight them back and cast them away to the straitjacket they escaped from. They believe that anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ is going to hell. Remember how Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell essentially said that 9/11 was a punishment for America having "strayed" on social issues? Why weren't the excoriated and exposed for the evil apologists of the far right that they were? Simple, because the extremists are hypocrites, through and through. Their hatred of the federal government is pathological and veers into the extreme.

BR2028, this has very little to do with the prairie populism of old, or even the pragmatic conservatism which acknowledged that Republicans had to work with everyone else. The Tea Party is a political disease, its supporters are, by and large, ignorant, ill-informed, hateful, xenophobic, (at least partly) racist and Islamophobic, homophobic, selfish bigots who say they love America, but hate Americans - who haven't gotten over the fact that America isn't #1 anymore and whose blood boils because of the natural fact that other nations are catching up (China and India), push it around on the world stage (Russia) or refuse to automatically toe the party line (everyone else). And who can't accept that it was a Democratic President, an African-American whose father was born in Kenya at that, who cleaned up the catastrophic shambles they left the economy in....and who hunted down Osama bin Laden within a fraction of the time in which Bush never managed.

Men like Marshall, Dulles, Eisenhower, Nixon (yes, him!), Kissinger, Reagan and Bush sr understood that it's pragmatism that wins it for America, not extremism or intolerance. Far from being a return to the "good, old days", the Tea Party and its nutcase leaders are a return to the Dark Ages - where the foreign is despised, science rejected, women "kept in their place" and war seen as the first and only response to foreign crises. If Ted Cruz, a man with virtually no accomplishments or nuance gets on the next Republican ticket, then that only proves that US politics is beyond redemption by moderate forces. The key will be to wipe the Tea Party out both in this election and ensure a massive turnout in the midterm election - the only reason the Tea Party even continues to exist is the abysmal turnout in congressional elections. In a 70%+ turnout, and carpet-bombed with attack ads exposing them for the fools and frauds they are, they'd never manage more than 10 seats in Congress.

Give me Hillary Clinton and her haphazard email protocols, and her wayward First Gentlemen any day. The last time there was so much brain power in the White House was the time when Barack Obama dined alone.

• Like 1

Unlike many in my country, I'm a firm supporter of the Atlantic Alliance. I think countries like Germany have far more in common with the United States than Russia - and to pretend otherwise appears at best myopic, and at worst ideologically motivated and stupid. That said, the evolution of US politics for the past quarter-century or so is a cause for concern for anyone wanting the United States to be a force of stability across the world. What follows now is both a rant and some reflection on how someone like Ted Cruz can even be a plausible candidate for the Republican nomination in the 21st century.

In order to make sure that there is no doubt about my political orientation: I'm centre-right, I refer to myself as a progressive conservative. I'm for low taxes (but not a flat tax), an efficient welfare state, a strong defence and commitment to NATO, a healthy scepticism towards the EU, a strategic immigration policy and crucially quite easygoing on social issues (pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, against religion in schools or any role in public life). Also, I don't tend to demonize political opponents from the other side of the aisle as traitors, evil-doers, conspirators who want to destroy Germany or lacking in patriotism. I just happen to have major differences with them about how our country ought to be run (i.e. I don't believe that throwing money at every problem or involving the state in everything is the solution; in fact, I believe that we Germans rely way too much on the government). I also happen to believe in science and trust the data-based change for climate change. I think it's for us mere mortals to run our countries and not permanently drag God into every tax debate that there is.

It's from this vantage point that I'll write my little rant.

I have tried to seriously discuss politics with Tea Party supporters on the web and in real life. When challenged on their assumptions, they dispute the facts without backing up their own theories. They make an emotional case, as opposed to a rational case. They condemn Obama for policies originally supported, underwritten and crafted by Republicans. In many cases, like the hapless and idiotic Michele Bachmann, they gleefully lie to the public (remember the one about the President spending $1 billion a day on his trip to India - yeah, that was a lie). They either deny or downplay his successes (um hello, the man cuts unemployment, the debt and the deficit in half and all he gets is: "Pah, the economy is still ****!" - "Yeah, you idiots, it's MUCH better than Dubya ever left it in!") or credit them to others (remember those Repubs saying Obama had NOTHING to do with Osama bin Laden's death? They said "oh, the military killed him" to which I always said: "Who does the military take its orders from?". The answer is usually stunned silence or a desperate attempt to change the topic). There is no nuance of reflection, civility (can you imagine how often they resort to ad hominem attacks, with their favourite one either being "you're a moron" or "what a libtard") or respect. In other words, it's important to not leave them an inch to stand on, to fight them back and cast them away to the straitjacket they escaped from. They believe that anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ is going to hell. Remember how Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell essentially said that 9/11 was a punishment for America having "strayed" on social issues? Why weren't the excoriated and exposed for the evil apologists of the far right that they were? Simple, because the extremists are hypocrites, through and through. Their hatred of the federal government is pathological and veers into the extreme.

BR2028, this has very little to do with the prairie populism of old, or even the pragmatic conservatism which acknowledged that Republicans had to work with everyone else. The Tea Party is a political disease, its supporters are, by and large, ignorant, ill-informed, hateful, xenophobic, (at least partly) racist and Islamophobic, homophobic, selfish bigots who say they love America, but hate Americans - who haven't gotten over the fact that America isn't #1 anymore and whose blood boils because of the natural fact that other nations are catching up (China and India), push it around on the world stage (Russia) or refuse to automatically toe the party line (everyone else). And who can't accept that it was a Democratic President, an African-American whose father was born in Kenya at that, who cleaned up the catastrophic shambles they left the economy in....and who hunted down Osama bin Laden within a fraction of the time in which Bush never managed.

Men like Marshall, Dulles, Eisenhower, Nixon (yes, him!), Kissinger, Reagan and Bush sr understood that it's pragmatism that wins it for America, not extremism or intolerance. Far from being a return to the "good, old days", the Tea Party and its nutcase leaders are a return to the Dark Ages - where the foreign is despised, science rejected, women "kept in their place" and war seen as the first and only response to foreign crises. If Ted Cruz, a man with virtually no accomplishments or nuance gets on the next Republican ticket, then that only proves that US politics is beyond redemption by moderate forces. The key will be to wipe the Tea Party out both in this election and ensure a massive turnout in the midterm election - the only reason the Tea Party even continues to exist is the abysmal turnout in congressional elections. In a 70%+ turnout, and carpet-bombed with attack ads exposing them for the fools and frauds they are, they'd never manage more than 10 seats in Congress.

Give me Hillary Clinton and her haphazard email protocols, and her wayward First Gentlemen any day. The last time there was so much brain power in the White House was the time when Barack Obama dined alone.

what a libtard.

stunt of the month only lasts 30 days. stay tuned for april 1st -- which i just realized is april fool's day and i really should have had something bigger planned. like i should become faster for the month or something.

Exactly, Obama still can legally run for president even if he was not born in the states. What's funny is that Ted Cruz is the Tea Party darling and in technicality he's a foreigner and is in the same boat as Obama.

Also, McCain is a bit different. He was born when Panama Canal was still a US territory and he was born on a US Military base to US Military parents which means from birth he was as American as I am.

Maybe for the US. You should try for France.

Funny thing is that Cruz and Obama are like mirrors of each other but on opposite sides of the spectrum, but I think Cruz is a junior in the Senate.

Either way he is apparently the most hated guy in Congress.

If Cruz gets the Republican nod I'm leaving this country and moving to France...all hope is lost for American conservatism and for the this nations sanity.

Cruz is the junior in the Senate. He was elected to fill the spot when Kay Bailey Hutchison retired and he defeated former Lt. Governor David Dewhurst for the Republican nomination.

• 2 weeks later...