Ted Cruz running for US president in 2016

So by now most Americans, as well as those who follow American news, probably know that Ted Cruz, a current US Senator for Texas, is going to run for the Republican nomination for the 2016 presidential election. I'm actually excited for this, and it's definitely not because I'd vote for him (I NEVER vote republican). I actually can't wait to see what the likes of Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Conan O'Brian, and all other comedians have to say about it!

On top of that, it should make for a really interesting Republican primaries, and hopefully Ted delivers us with a goldmine of quotes like Rick Perry did in 2012! Also should be interesting if Rick Perry tries and make a run for the presidency again, seeing as how he was humiliated in 2012 with the insane s**t he said. And also 2 Texas politicians in the running? That's comedy gold right there.

Oh and currently the best hashtag to read on twitter: #tedcruzcampaignslogans

https://twitter.com/hashtag/tedcruzcampaignslogans

But he was born in Canada.....

His parents both had US citizenship which means that he is technically American and can run. Additionally he renounced his Canadian citizenship and released his birth certificate.

Has His Royal Trumpness been told about this?!

I hear he's currently working on having a press conference announcing how much he detests that a communist canadian has the audacity to think he's got what it takes to prevent Obama from winning his 3rd term in the White House...

But he was born in Canada.....

His parents both had US citizenship which means that he is technically American and can run. Additionally he renounced his Canadian citizenship and released his birth certificate.

According to law you can run for president if you were born in another country so long as you are a naturalized citizen by birth or from birth or something like that. Meaning you are a natural citizen when you are born in one of the 50 US states, and/or you are born to American citizens who they themselves don't have to be naturalized citizens, but do have to have American citizenship. So since both his parents were American citizens, he is naturally born into citizenship because of that. I'm not sure if he had to relinquish his Canadian citizenship, but it was probably wise to do so ahead of time.

Here's the funny think, John McCain was born at the Panama Canal, and no one said one word about his citizenship. Now Obama was born in Hawaii despite what the tinfoil birthers/teabaggers say, yet his citizenship was questioned. The funny thing is, even if Obama would have been born in Kenya, he still would have been eligible to run because he would have been a naturalized citizen because of his mother. The law doesn't require both parents to be American citizens in order for their children to be naturalized citizens. Not sure what Barack Sr.'s citizenship status was, but I'm pretty sure he didn't take the time become a US citizen before returning to Kenya.

Lord help us. This guy is an absolute nut case. In fact, the only sane one in the bunch is Jeb. The rest are just as retarded or as big of liars as Cruz.

Jeb is an interesting character. He doesn't seem like a typical Bush. I certainly won't ever vote for him, but so far he seems like the more tolerable one. The sad thing for him is that he's a Bush. Sure there are repigs that worship the Bushs now that "Emperor Obama" came to power, but there's a lot of them that are divided and want nothing to do with the Bushs.

Btw, Cruz's father did not become a US citizen until 2005, so it's really only his mother's citizenship that is allowing him to run. The hypocrisy from the right wing nutjobs is hilarious. They claimed that Obama couldn't be president, when even if he was born in Kenya he'd still be in the same position as Cruz.

Here's the funny think, John McCain was born at the Panama Canal, and no one said one word about his citizenship.

he was born at the panama canal zone, a territory of the US at the time, and on a naval base to boot. there wasn't anyone crazy enough to question the natural-born citizenship rights of someone born in US territory on a base when both of his parents were clearly serving their country.

John McCain was born at the Panama Canal, and no one said one word about his citizenship. Now Obama was born in Hawaii despite what the tinfoil birthers/teabaggers say, yet his citizenship was questioned. The funny thing is, even if Obama would have been born in Kenya, he still would have been eligible to run because he would have been a naturalized citizen because of his mother. The law doesn't require both parents to be American citizens in order for their children to be naturalized citizens. Not sure what Barack Sr.'s citizenship status was, but I'm pretty sure he didn't take the time become a US citizen before returning to Kenya.

McCain was born in a US base in the Canal Zone...which was US territory at the time. All US bases around the world are US territory. Also, if you were born in an embassy representing a certain country, that, per the Treaty of Vienna, is territory of the country it represents.

A "naturalized" citizen cannot qualify to run for US president or veep. Obama was born in Hawaii, US territory, thus is a "natural-born" citizen. It is immaterial whether his parents were citizens or not. Does not apply in Cruz's case. Cruz is gambling that if he gets anywhere with his political ambitions, he could win his case in the US SUpreme Court. Then it'll all depend on how those 9 minds vote. But I think Cruz doesn't have a case.

Here's the funny think, John McCain was born at the Panama Canal, and no one said one word about his citizenship. Now Obama was born in Hawaii despite what the tinfoil birthers/teabaggers say, yet his citizenship was questioned. The funny thing is, even if Obama would have been born in Kenya, he still would have been eligible to run because he would have been a naturalized citizen because of his mother. The law doesn't require both parents to be American citizens in order for their children to be naturalized citizens. Not sure what Barack Sr.'s citizenship status was, but I'm pretty sure he didn't take the time become a US citizen before returning to Kenya.

Exactly, Obama still can legally run for president even if he was not born in the states. What's funny is that Ted Cruz is the Tea Party darling and in technicality he's a foreigner and is in the same boat as Obama.

Also, McCain is a bit different. He was born when Panama Canal was still a US territory and he was born on a US Military base to US Military parents which means from birth he was as American as I am.

Thanks krow but we all know I'd make a terrible president.

Maybe for the US. You should try for France.

We already tried a first-term senator.

8e127510b50de1725dc6c32d1920fd48.jpg

Funny thing is that Cruz and Obama are like mirrors of each other but on opposite sides of the spectrum, but I think Cruz is a junior in the Senate.

Either way he is apparently the most hated guy in Congress.

If Cruz gets the Republican nod I'm leaving this country and moving to France...all hope is lost for American conservatism and for the this nations sanity.

McCain was born in a US base in the Canal Zone...which was US territory at the time. All US bases around the world are US territory. Also, if you were born in an embassy representing a certain country, that, per the Treaty of Vienna, is territory of the country it represents.

A "naturalized" citizen cannot qualify to run for US president or veep. Obama was born in Hawaii, US territory, thus is a "natural-born" citizen. It is immaterial whether his parents were citizens or not. Does not apply in Cruz's case. Cruz is gambling that if he gets anywhere with his political ambitions, he could win his case in the US SUpreme Court. Then it'll all depend on how those 9 minds vote. But I think Cruz doesn't have a case.

Actually you're wrong to a certain extent. According to a law passed before the 2008 election that made it legal for McCain to run it also applied to naturalized citizens. The bill was even backed by Obama and Clinton respectively. As a result a "naturalized" citizen can indeed run especially if he spent the majority of his life in the US. Cruz was five when his family moved to Texas and again he was born to an American family. Cruz was for the large part educated and molded in the states. While I do not want Cruz to ever be the leader of the free world because he is probably the last person that truly believes in real freedom, he still can run for President. Cruz has also renounced all ties to Canada he has. He has a case in the end and he would probably win the case in the end, but him being the Republican candidate would only happen if hell froze over.

So after criticizing the President for being a Harvard-educated, elitist law grad with a foreign surname (despite being born in the United States) who won election while being an "inexperienced" first-term United States Senator, the Republicans might seriously consider a man who is a Harvard-educated elitist law grad with a foreign surname who was born outside the United States, is a first-term senator AND refused to study with anyone below the level of "potential valedictorian" in his study group? Good luck with that in November 2016!

Ted Cruz is a fool: He is a party hack fully owned, funded and supported by the Koch Brothers who uses his supposed intelligence to deny science, to prevent progress and block every effort by the President to strengthen the economy. Coupled with his repellent social views and his belief that religion should have a prominent role in the life of the United States, as well as his hell-bent refusal to acknowledge that government can be a place to do good, this parvenu is more unelectable than Hillary Clinton in a senatorial election in Wyoming.

No, he's running for VP - but whoever will be at the top of the ticket would do good by leaving Cruz to sulk. After all, this man's ego is bigger than the state of Texas - and whoever is #1 on the Republican ticket would feel the heat from VP-candidate Cruz.

I look forward to the man's concession speech after his deserved destruction in the New Hampshire primary. It's people like him who have made the Republicans completely unelectable to anyone with a trace of economic, scientific, social and common sense.

Btw, I'm saying this as someone who considers himself free-market and fairly centre-right: But unlike him, I'm extremely easygoing about social issues and a hawk on defence and taxes.

To be fair, McCain's case was also strengthened by a unanimous Senate resolution re: his "natural-born" status (co-sponsored by Hillary and Obama at the time)...

Actually you're wrong to a certain extent. According to a law passed before the 2008 election that made it legal for McCain to run it also applied to naturalized citizens. The bill was even backed by Obama and Clinton respectively. As a result a "naturalized" citizen can indeed run especially if he spent the majority of his life in the US. Cruz was five when his family moved to Texas and again he was born to an American family. Cruz was for the large part educated and molded in the states. While I do not want Cruz to ever be the leader of the free world because he is probably the last person that truly believes in real freedom, he still can run for President. Cruz has also renounced all ties to Canada he has. He has a case in the end and he would probably win the case in the end, but him being the Republican candidate would only happen if hell froze over.

Oh, so there was an amendment? Wasn't aware of that.

But McCain and Cruz's situations are so different. McCain, while born outside the territorial 50 states, was born on what was official US territory (the Panama Canal Zone). Cruz was born in Canada. However, the "amendment," if one can call it that, hasn't really been tested yet. So, if Cruz gets near being a Presidential or veep candidate, then we shall see if the amended law stands up to scrutiny.

lol the irony of this! Ted Cruz is going to be on Obamacare! He's been trying to repeal it for a long time, and now that he lost his health insurance because he was getting his insurance through his wife's former job Goldman Sach's, he's going to sign up for Obamacare! He should be fortunate enough this is happening now and not a year from now, because the other Republican nominees would have butchered him over this in the primaries!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/politics/ted-cruz-obamacare/index.html

:o

CA7T9WFWUAAfk7N.jpg

Will Republicans EVER come up with a sane, rational, decent human being for presidential candidate instead of an endless succession of ignorant, bigoted right-wing nutters?

Or is such a thing only a pipe dream? :blink:

Frightening thought: this guy is such an egomaniac, what's stopping him from running as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination? That would mean that we would see him in the debates.

I would welcome it if he would enter as an independent if he didn't get the republican nomination! Imagine the insanity at the presidential debate! And what's even better, he'll take away some votes from the republican candidate, guaranteeing a win for the Democrat nomination, just like Ross Perot took away votes from George Bush Sr. and gave Bill Clinton win for presidency in 1992!

The only devastating thing about all of this, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert won't be around on Comedy Central to make this presidential journey more hilarious!

I don't understand all the negative buzz with Common Core. Common Core itself is very logical, valuing critical thinking over right answers. The issues lie within publishers (and their dang math problems!) and people who don't like change. For me, Common Core is nothing new. The way I've crafted and explained answers and reasoning is no different. It is just more tedious now because I actually have to explain EVERYTHING.

:o

CA7T9WFWUAAfk7N.jpg

Archived