Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

They're dropping like flies...

A few months before the 2013 Islamic Solidarity Games were to start in Riau, Indonesia; Jakarta pulled the plug from that city and delayed and reassigned those laughable games to Palembang.

Last year, Stockholm, then Oslo, then Krakow bailed out of making a run for the 2022 WOGs.

Hanoi bowed out of staging the 2019 Asiads.

Edmonton dropped out of the 2022 CWGs.

Now, Guadalajara (2011 PanAm host) has bailed out of the 2017 FINA World Championships. I can't believe Mexico budgeted $100 million for the 2017 FINA extravaganza. I mean, were they going to redo the cliffs of Acapulco for the open-water swimming???

It's gotten to be contagious. No one (well, except for China, the Gulf sheikdoms and So. Korea) wants to stage these things anymore.

Who's next? (I hope no one puts an IAAF candidacy. It's the most useless tournament.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Don't joke about Palembang baron... Palembang and the rest of South Sumatera Province is the most ambitious ones when it come to sports... They even argued with Jakarta for Asiad 2018 venues domination... In fact i believe Indonesia should be in your exception list thanks to that.....

Don't joke about Palembang baron... Palembang and the rest of South Sumatera Province is the most ambitious ones when it come to sports... They even argued with Jakarta for Asiad 2018 venues domination... In fact i believe Indonesia should be in your exception list thanks to that.....

You sort of missed the point, zigzag. My point was NOT to put down Palembang...but that so many cities AROUND THE GLOBE making the initial commitments to be hosts are dropping out.

(Good for Palembang that they stepped in; and I was glad for them in telling the more conservative muslim nations to go elsewhere when they were again complaining about the women's wear in Beach Volleyball.)

You sort of missed the point, zigzag. My point was NOT to put down Palembang...but that so many cities AROUND THE GLOBE making the initial commitments to be hosts are dropping out.

(Good for Palembang that they stepped in; and I was glad for them in telling the more conservative muslim nations to go elsewhere when they were again complaining about the women's wear in Beach Volleyball.)

wow.. I'm never know about that beach volley problems there.... but honestly i just want say that Palembang is the Indonesian version of Doha,Baku,Istanbul and so on just that but if we talking about drop outs i think with weaker economy let's say that the "Democratic Nations" had less money to held such a show-off plus with all pressure from the "Power of the People" who seems to be very clearly forced the government to listen to them and not to the ambitions of they own which makes this kind of show-off only available to those who had the money like the Arabians or the total control of the nation just like China which means YES..... More Flies Will Down Until The Economics Are Clearly Normal