Benjamin Nitwityahu called snapped elections in Israel recently to try and shore-up support for his government in the face of declining economic prospects for Israel.

That was the context in which he went to Washington to chest-pound his way to be the security candidate of the election.

While on the ways to the polls (next Tuesday) something interesting happened. Isaac Herzog became Labor Leader and his alliance with the politically opportunistic Tzipi Livni has resulted in what could be the first Labour victory since Ehud Barak. Centrist and Leftish parties could make up as much as 65 of the 120 seats based on current polling.

The interesting thing is that Herzog and Livni have said things that even 5 years ago would be unthinkable for an Israeli politician. A stable government under their leadership could see progression towards peace not seen since the Oslo Accords.

There is a strong possibility.

The Zionist Union (Labour and Hatnuah) look to become the largest block in the Knesset. The coalition would likely be the ZU with Meretz, Yesh Atid and Kulanu. Combined they would have roughly 52 of the 120 seats. They would likely need to get the support of the United Arab List to form a stable government. But it would be the first time in a long while that no ultra-nationalist, orthodox or far-right party hasn't held government.

Benjamin Nitwityahu called snapped elections in Israel recently to try and shore-up support for his government in the face of declining economic prospects for Israel.

That was the context in which he went to Washington to chest-pound his way to be the security candidate of the election.

While on the ways to the polls (next Tuesday) something interesting happened. Isaac Herzog became Labor Leader and his alliance with the politically opportunistic Tzipi Livni has resulted in what could be the first Labour victory since Ehud Barak. Centrist and Leftish parties could make up as much as 65 of the 120 seats based on current polling.

The interesting thing is that Herzog and Livni have said things that even 5 years ago would be unthinkable for an Israeli politician. A stable government under their leadership could see progression towards peace not seen since the Oslo Accords.

Buji all the way ! :)

I'm Christian but I have strong muslim connections in my family.

I've never seen Bibi as the warmonger that some people want him to be.

Peace is possible with Bibi too...I'm part muslim but my boyfriend's a French Jew. ^_^

So if it's Buji, cool as I love him (dont ask me why). If it's Bibi well, I like him too. Only Israel is capable of giving us a political choice with cool people.

Well...I give up on the world now...crazy US conservatives rule congress, FN is trying to take France, Putin's oppressing Russia, ISIS is killing everyone, and Bibi got reelected. Way to go world you've done really well these past few years B) <sarcasm>

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Buji all the way ! :)

I'm Christian but I have strong muslim connections in my family.

I've never seen Bibi as the warmonger that some people want him to be.

Peace is possible with Bibi too...I'm part muslim but my boyfriend's a French Jew. ^_^

So if it's Buji, cool as I love him (dont ask me why). If it's Bibi well, I like him too. Only Israel is capable of giving us a political choice with cool people.

This must be a bad joke, right?