Look, I know that a Havana bid is a longshot, especially in 2028 or 2032 with lots of cities considering, but I after watching the 1991 Pan Am Games Ceremonies, I thought 'What If Havana bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics or 2032'? It would be costly but it would kinda be awesome to see Havana be the first Carribean City host the Olympics, it would also be a chance for them to upgrade/renovate some of the unused and vandalised venues such as Estadio Panamericano and Jose Marti Parqueo Stadium.

^Carried On: I thought I might share that with y'all and get your opinions, ideas and thoughts.

Absolutely not. They are FAR behind compared to the modern world and in a sense they have been frozen in time. Yes the new open relations between the US and Cuba will hopefully help Cuba greatly, but they are too far away from any form of progress that will give them the capabilities of hosting the Olympics. As you can see here Havana scored the lowest among all applicant cities, and this was only about 12 years ago. Imagine how much lower the scores would be today considering nothing has changed over there and the IOC expects more from the cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics#Evaluation_of_applicant_cities

And how would you think the rest of the world would feel about Cuba putting in a bid when they let their own people starve every day?

And some people chime about how South Africa ain't ready. So Cuba is ten-fold less than ready. But perhaps you should ask this question to Jacques Rogge, since according to him (last time Cuba applied for the Games) that "Havana has just as good a chance as anybody else in hosting the Olympics". Lmfao

The 1991 Pan Am games were also known to have had a very terrible legacy planning. The games were literally done just to celebrate the birthday of Fidel Castro the biggest way possible despite the huge costs and the end of the soviet aid after the USSR dissolution. Some cubans even say the games had to do with the shitty (more than usual) years that followed for Cuba until the leftard of Chavez came to their aid to give them oxygen for a bit longer.

You think Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 venues current state is terrible? You haven't seen nothing.

20141110-1.jpg

20141110-2.jpg

20141110-4.jpg

20141110-6.jpg

estadio.jpg

http://deivangarciaysusamigos.blogspot.com/2014/11/lo-que-queda-de-los-panamericanos.html

I suggest you read this article. Its in spanish but it summarizes all that was wrong with the 1991 games.

Even Cuba's vaunted women's Volleyball team, 3x Olympic gold medalists (1992 - 2000); world Champion 1991-2000) is NOT even a factor these days. Aside from the fact that their tall women players have retired and disappeared, there just isn't the money there to maintain top level athletic standards.

I made a fantasy bid for Havana a while back, http://lorddavid04.deviantart.com/art/Havana-2020-Bid-Book-163433073Which partly relied on Matanzas and Varadero to help host some events.

In reality it won't work. Maybe after the country has recovered a bit after resuming relations with the US and maybe after another Pan American Games (after both Fidel and Raul Castro's demise). Oh. and a big IF when the IOC wants to return to a developing country again, like a real one (Mexico and Mexico City comes to mind).

Must've been the same people who are in charge of a particular 2022 city's "sloppy, high school style" bid file. lol

Yeah, I know it's a joke, but I solely produced that Havana bid file (cheated using my already existing template and much information from the 2008 and 2012 bid books), but Almaty has/had a whole team working for them, they just got lazy and produced something sub-par. Guess they sort of knew the bid race was going to have fewer cities bidding from the initial 6.

I seem to remember their 2012 applicant file was produced on a typewriter and photocopied. Or am I misremembering?

No, they had the spreadsheet looking charts, so I assume some 90's PC was used with a illegal copy of Office 97.

I know you are going to say you are just giving your opinion, but this is an idiot's opinion. Even if you believe Bejing more likly to win, it's ignorant to state Almaty has nearly no chance.

Why would you doubt Tony's opinion? I mean, when he's saying Havana's bid wasn't taken seriously, he was what, 8 years old at the time? For a little historical perspective, though..

Cuba's pitch for 2012 Olympic Games

Why would you doubt Tony's opinion? I mean, when he's saying Havana's bid wasn't taken seriously, he was what, 8 years old at the time? For a little historical perspective, though..

Cuba's pitch for 2012 Olympic Games

Havana didn't even make it as a Candidate City. Also, even you have given Almaty nearly no chance.

Archived