Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

14th Olympic Congress

Is there any word of when the host/dates for the 14th Olympic Congress will be? I thought they were supposed to be held in 2017 at the same time as the 130th Session in Lima, but all the places I've seen Congresses listed it says that the location is still to be determined...

I feel that if Lima were to host the Olympic Congress, it would have been announced back in December. When Lima was announced as host of the IOC session, it said nothing about the Olympic Congress Also I think that more cities would have submitted bids if it were for a congress. If I remember correctly, seven or eight cities places bids for the 13th Olympic Congress back in '09.

Something just seems off to me. Then again, the IOC host traditionally is selected at the session hosted before the Olympic Games, and yet Lima was elected in Monte Carlo in December, not in Sochi before the games.

I feel that if Lima were to host the Olympic Congress, it would have been announced back in December. When Lima was announced as host of the IOC session, it said nothing about the Olympic Congress Also I think that more cities would have submitted bids if it were for a congress. If I remember correctly, seven or eight cities places bids for the 13th Olympic Congress back in '09.

Something just seems off to me. Then again, the IOC host traditionally is selected at the session hosted before the Olympic Games, and yet Lima was elected in Monte Carlo in December, not in Sochi before the games.

The IOC is not GOING to re-gather again for ANOTHER pow-wow in the same year. If there will be a Congress in 2017; it will be at Lima. They're NOT going to ask IOC members to fix their calendars again and convene in yet another city.

But the IOC did gather twice in 2014, in February for the Sochi games and then again in December for the Extraordinary session.

So do you think they'll push it off to 2019, or just drop the idea of a congress in this decade and go for early in the 20's?

But the IOC did gather twice in 2014, in February for the Sochi games and then again in December for the Extraordinary session.

So do you think they'll push it off to 2019, or just drop the idea of a congress in this decade and go for early in the 20's?

And there are always exceptions -- that's why it's called Extraordinary. But they DON"T call that every year. 2014 was a little different because of the Reforms they wanted to institute right away; some starting as early as PC 2018. Also, I don't think they got a FULL attendance at the Extraordinary meeting in December.

I think they are still trying to get a full attendance from the 204 NOCs and the various S & W Federations to make it a Congress. That Congress would have to be in Lima because the winter feds would again be meeting 5 months later, in February 2018 in PC.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well if you say so. I just think that they would have announced it as the host of the 130th IOC Session and 14th Olympic Congress. I do find it interesting that that the first Olympic Congress to be held outside of Europe is going to be in Peru, of all places...