Oscars are on tomorrow night!

LatinXTC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed Lady Gaga's Sound of Music tribute and almost shed a liitle tear when Julie Andrews came on unexpectedly. I haven't seen her in ages!!! :)

Same old boring predictable stuff. Each winner has to have their political/social agenda to espouse. There's the predictable 'being gay' speech (by writer Graeme Moore); the trying-too-hard host (a mediocre NPH this time...or at least the material he was given); of course, the 'civil rights'/snubbed minority numbers (as if a portion of the Oscars should fulfill some racial quotas) -- the UGLY sets. They get uglier each year.

The biggest surprise to me was Lady Gaga actually singing in the PROPER 'Broadway' style of singing -- and not the rap crap doine in "Glory" (but which I loved the more conventional/melodic portion of that song vs. the repulsive rap portion). And then Julie Andrews, even classier 50 years later than she was in 1964!! I don't know which is UGLIER on international TV - armpit hair or Lady G's distracting tattoos?? I mean Lady G didn't even cover them up. Ughhh!!

Did anybody notice that Joan RIvers was snubbed in the "In Memorian" section? I guess the Academy was just getting back at her for all the potty-mouth trashing she was giving people over the years. I mean Rivers crossed the line too many times.

Did anybody notice that Joan RIvers was snubbed in the "In Memorian" section? I guess the Academy was just getting back at her for all the potty-mouth trashing she was giving people over the years. I mean Rivers crossed the line too many times.

Never thought about that. Seems a bit petty to snub her like that all the same. Like her or loathe her, she was a first class comedienne and major TV personality for many years!

Key word there being "TV"

Yes but she has also been in films. There have been many stars who have done both film and TV and get equally honored at the Emmy's and the Oscar's.

And I feel bad for NPH that was definitely not his best hosting moment. It clearly is the fault of the material he was given, which was written by someone who actually isn't even a comedian. If you've ever seen him when hosting the Tony's, he's great.

I just find the awards are becoming all too predictable.

Only two awards stood out as going in a unexpected direction; Animated Feature and Original Screenplay. For liberal Hollywood the awards tend to be very conservatively given. It didn't help that the crop of films this year was underwhelming. I truly enjoyed only a handful of the movies that were nominated.

It would be nice to see an awards season where the major awards were competitive across the board. The 8 top awards only one was a surprise and 5 were outright cake-walks for the winners.

Hoping for a better year this time around but so far the films mentioned are sorely lacking in interest for me. Tarantino is becoming derivative of himself and the academy will lap it up. Maybe we will get a surprise and Christoph Waltz will get a nomination as the Bond villain.

Oh and another thing I dislike about the Oscars and it becomes more and more apparent as the cinemaplexes get filled with increasingly good fantasy, comic book and supernatural films is that the technical and craft awards still go to the more traditional films. Guardians of the Galaxy should have won make-up. Special effects went to a very stall Interstellar.

Same old boring predictable stuff. Each winner has to have their political/social agenda to espouse. There's the predictable 'being gay' speech (by writer Graeme Moore); the trying-too-hard host (a mediocre NPH this time...or at least the material he was given); of course, the 'civil rights'/snubbed minority numbers (as if a portion of the Oscars should fulfill some racial quotas) -- the UGLY sets. They get uglier each year.

The biggest surprise to me was Lady Gaga actually singing in the PROPER 'Broadway' style of singing -- and not the rap crap doine in "Glory" (but which I loved the more conventional/melodic portion of that song vs. the repulsive rap portion). And then Julie Andrews, even classier 50 years later than she was in 1964!! I don't know which is UGLIER on international TV - armpit hair or Lady G's distracting tattoos?? I mean Lady G didn't even cover them up. Ughhh!!

The more and more I read your comments, the more I think your some white guy named cletus, with a dale earnhardt shirt on, who lives in birmingham

He's not, he's a Filipino immigrant, but sometimes they can be the same difference.

You say that as if it were a bad thing. BTW, it's way past that stage. And say that with a smile and a Capital letter.

It's more like a whole lifetime ago -- like 40+ years ago; probably more than your years on this planet.

Ill have you know my nake is SKEETER, and I have a JOEY LOGANO t-shirt, and I'm from STARKVILLE

Yeah...and? Sorry; those markers mean nothing to me.

You say that as if it were a bad thing. BTW, it's way past that stage. And say that with a smile and a Capital letter.

You are aware of the fact that you make racist comments about where other people are from ALL THE TIME, right?

Archived