Bid Comp 2028: 2015 Session Logo!

200px-Olympic_rings_without_rims.svg.png

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

The President

To: the Members of the Gamesbid Olympic Family

For immediate release

London, 18 February 2015

Re: Logo for the 2015 IOC Session in Vienna

The International Olympic Committee is looking for a designer willing to design a logo for the 2015 IOC Session in Vienna, to take place on the weekend of 29-31 March 2015.

Given the President's own lack of proficiency in logo design, any suggestions would be most welcome. Your design will be used on all marketing materials and communications about the IOC Session. Should there be more than one Applicant, either the President or the Executive Board as a whole may make a decision on the matter.

Logo proposals are requested by next week, 25 February 2015, 20:00 GMT. They are to be posted right here, in this thread.

Nice ones - thanks for your time, guys!

Hoping for even more designs to choose from until next week! So, whoever feels like making a logo for this session - go right ahead!

• Like 1

The President

For immediate release

London, 20 February 2015

Re: Logo for the 2015 IOC Session in Vienna (Clarifications)

The International Olympic Committee would like to express its gratitude and genuine delight at the entries which have been submitted thus far. Nonetheless, it wishes to make a few clarifications and requests regarding the logo:

1) The Olympic Rings should be integrated

2) Due to a typo, the President did not mention the correct date of the IOC Session, which is 27-29 March 2015

3) The incorporation of Austria's national colours (red-white-red) and/or the Vienna skyline into the logo would be most welcome

4) The President has decided that the Executive Board will vote on the designs it favours sometime prior to the session taking place

5) Further entries are welcomed until 25 February 2015, 20:00 GMT

The President

For immediate release

London, 20 February 2015

Re: Logo for the 2015 IOC Session in Vienna (Clarifications)

The International Olympic Committee would like to express its gratitude and genuine delight at the entries which have been submitted thus far. Nonetheless, it wishes to make a few clarifications and requests regarding the logo:

1) The Olympic Rings should be integrated

2) Due to a typo, the President did not mention the correct date of the IOC Session, which is 27-29 March 2015

3) The incorporation of Austria's national colours (red-white-red) and/or the Vienna skyline into the logo would be most welcome

4) The President has decided that the Executive Board will vote on the designs it favours sometime prior to the session taking place

5) Further entries are welcomed until 25 February 2015, 20:00 GMT

I thought results came the 31st? That would still be during the session. Nonetheless I'll fix my logo and add the rings.

Now what I'm about to say may sound rather arrogant but I do believe that it is essential. Please do not create new requirements after people have already made a logo, it makes you look ungrateful and limits the creativity and diversity of the logos. Date changes and typos are one thing or requesting the rings is another, but adding on design elements that the logos should have (after three people have already created logo's) is ridiculous and a first for GB.

Secondly, do you know how difficult it is to take a non-transparent image (like skylines) and put it into a transparent one (transparent BTW is how to professionally make a logo)? It is virtually impossible and when it does happen the quality of the logo or image is sacrificed. So if you really want the Vienna skyline in our logo's than I suggest find a transparent one and post it to the forum because my research has not turned up anything. If the skyline was not a new requirement then you need to work on how you phrase and word things because the way I'm reading it is that we must have the skyline and Austrian colors or our logo will not adhere to your tastes.

That brings me to my final point, if you have a solid idea of what you want a logo to look like, don't try and tempt us into offering you very different and unique logos only to come back and add more requirements forcing our logos to become more and more similar. It's frankly a waste of our time and very disrespectful towards us. If you have a solid idea of what the logo should look like then PM one of us don't try and get us to use up our time making logos that we will have to edit a million times. Edits that will eventually result in all of our logo's loosing their unique design and feel.

So my final bit is to either loosen the hell up and take what we have given you (with of course the specified corrections to dates and the rings) or describe exactly what you want the logo to look like or word your posts better and cut out the posh language; be blunt. I may sound ungrateful and you may 'disqualify' my logo, but I don't care at this point. Don't hold a logo contest if you do not really want to see diversity in the look a feel of logos because that is ungrateful and insulting to the designers that have given up time to make a logo.

I thought results came the 31st? That would still be during the session. Nonetheless I'll fix my logo and add the rings.

Now what I'm about to say may sound rather arrogant but I do believe that it is essential. Please do not create new requirements after people have already made a logo, it makes you look ungrateful and limits the creativity and diversity of the logos. Date changes and typos are one thing or requesting the rings is another, but adding on design elements that the logos should have (after three people have already created logo's) is ridiculous and a first for GB.

Secondly, do you know how difficult it is to take a non-transparent image (like skylines) and put it into a transparent one (transparent BTW is how to professionally make a logo)? It is virtually impossible and when it does happen the quality of the logo or image is sacrificed. So if you really want the Vienna skyline in our logo's than I suggest find a transparent one and post it to the forum because my research has not turned up anything. If the skyline was not a new requirement then you need to work on how you phrase and word things because the way I'm reading it is that we must have the skyline and Austrian colors or our logo will not adhere to your tastes.

That brings me to my final point, if you have a solid idea of what you want a logo to look like, don't try and tempt us into offering you very different and unique logos only to come back and add more requirements forcing our logos to become more and more similar. It's frankly a waste of our time and very disrespectful towards us. If you have a solid idea of what the logo should look like then PM one of us don't try and get us to use up our time making logos that we will have to edit a million times. Edits that will eventually result in all of our logo's loosing their unique design and feel.

So my final bit is to either loosen the hell up and take what we have given you (with of course the specified corrections to dates and the rings) or describe exactly what you want the logo to look like or word your posts better and cut out the posh language; be blunt. I may sound ungrateful and you may 'disqualify' my logo, but I don't care at this point. Don't hold a logo contest if you do not really want to see diversity in the look a feel of logos because that is ungrateful and insulting to the designers that have given up time to make a logo.

Mr Bernham,

First, thanks for your willingness to change the dates around. You may very well not have noticed it, but I made a correction to the dates in the other thread prior to posting on here. Hence why I posted the corrected dates here as soon as I saw that the incorrect dates were being incorporated into the design.

Second, I actually do take exception to your tone - but refuse to accept your invitation to engage in a petulant argument about who the intent or the reasons given for my requirements. It would just end up devolving into an immature shouting match and I, for one, arrogant or not, cannot be bothered with this sort of foolishness. It's also pretty telling that you didn't contact me via PM to express your concerns, but instead chose to dry your dirty laundry in full public view. So please, spare me the false indignation about what is essentially a minor issue. Which brings me to my next point.

Third, if you had taken the time to read the updated suggestions regarding the logo, you would have noticed that I said that I didn't say it was "mandatory", "obligatory" or "required" to integrate the skyline or the Austrian national colours (red and white, mind you - not a suggestion to integrate the colours of the Mauritian national flag). Anyone with a fairly decent command of the English language would immediately understand that I didn't impose a duty on you, Scotguy or woohooitsme to change your designs. Otherwise I would have used the words "the existing bid entries shall be modified", instead of "would be most welcome". In other words, it was an invitation to consider changing the designs - nothing else.

Finally, how petty do you think I am? You believe I will just disqualify you because you criticized me? I'm delighted to receive constructive criticism and I do get the whole point about creativity that shouldn't be stifled. However, your post wasn't constructive whatsoever - it came across as disrespectful, personal in nature and, frankly, baying for a fight. Sorry, Mr Bernham, I refuse to give you a fight - I just can't be bothered.

Submit a new design or keep your old one - completely up to you. But please spare me the sanctimonious lectures.

Finally, lest there be a wrong impression created by your post: I have mentioned a couple of times that I very much like your designs and appreciate the time you all spent on those. However, I would be amiss if I didn't wish to solicit the widest possible variety for the Exec Board to choose from.

Right, my previous reply made little grammatical sense - so here it is again, this time somewhat cleaned up (only way I can post it since GB doesn't permit non-paying members to edit their posts).

----

Mr Bernham,

First, thanks for your willingness to change the dates around. You may very well not have noticed it, but I made a correction to the dates in the other thread prior to posting on here. Hence why I posted the corrected dates here as soon as I saw that the incorrect dates were being incorporated into the logo designs.

Second, I actually do take exception to your tone - but refuse to accept your invitation to engage in a petulant argument about the intent or the reasons given for my requirements. It would just end up devolving into an immature shouting match and I, for one, arrogant or not, cannot be bothered with this sort of foolishness. It's also pretty telling that you didn't contact me via PM to express your concerns, but instead chose to dry your dirty laundry in full public view. It causes unnecessarily confusion, which is why I encourage raising any issues with me in private.

Third, had you taken the time to read the updated suggestions regarding the logo, you would have noticed that I didn't say it was "mandatory", "obligatory" or "required" to integrate the skyline or the Austrian national colours. Anyone with a fairly decent command of the English language would immediately understand that I didn't impose a duty on you, Scotguy or woohooitsme to change your designs. Otherwise I would have used the words "the existing bid entries shall be modified", instead of "would be most welcome". In other words, it was an invitation to consider changing the designs - nothing else.

Fourth, how petty do you think I am? You believe I will just disqualify you because you criticized me? I'm delighted to receive constructive criticism and I do get the whole point about creativity that shouldn't be stifled. However, your post wasn't constructive whatsoever - it came across as disrespectful, personal in nature and, frankly, baying for a fight. Sorry, Mr Bernham, I refuse to give you a fight: I just can't be bothered. Submit a new design or keep your old one, it's completely up to you. Just leave the sanctimonious lectures, the grandstanding and the lack of basic civility at the door.

Finally, lest there be a wrong impression created by your post: I have mentioned a couple of times that I very much like your designs and appreciate the time you all spent on those. However, I would be amiss if I didn't wish to solicit the widest possible variety for the Exec Board to choose from.

PBE,

I believe you are missing my entire point and reasoning for responding in what I will admit was a somewhat hostile manner. This is my fault for not making my argument and points more clear and obvious.

I am one to always jump into any contest, especially one here, however I feel that when you are hosting any logo competition it is best to refrain from design suggestions. They are unofficial requirements and a cheap way of saying that your logo will have a better shot of winning if it incorporates these elements. Whether or not this is the intention it can skew the design and diversity of the logo's and in make the whole idea of a contest and pointless exercise.

As you have explained this was not your intention and I apologize for misreading it. However I stand by my notion that any design suggestions, especially in the way in which you presented them can send the wrong messages and give off the wrong impression to people. It certainly happened to me and prompted my response. It is not just the words you used that gave a false message it is the way in which they were presented. You presented it alongside a number of other mandatory changes and the way it was worded was essentially saying, "You will score brownie points if you do this.". That is what bothered me and that is what I found insulting. If you could please explain why you chose to word it that way I would be most grateful.

Had you also read my original comment you would have known that I did say " If the skyline was not a new requirement then you need to work on how you phrase and word things because the way I'm reading it is that we must have the skyline and Austrian colors or our logo will not adhere to your tastes." So really my whole argument is about how you say what you say and to be more aware of the subliminal messages that could be derived from it.

I would finally like to add that I do respect you a great deal. You have revived the bid book contests and made them exciting and interesting again, that is a challenge difficult for anyone. It is with respect for you that I did this and I do feel that you are someone that can take some harsh criticism and work with that person to positively resolve the issue.

Again, I apologize for reading your original statement wrong, but please be aware that your type of suggestions can and will be misread which is why it's important to word it in away that gets your message across in a clear way or in the future refrain from similarly styled suggestions.

PBE,

I believe you are missing my entire point and reasoning for responding in what I will admit was a somewhat hostile manner. This is my fault for not making my argument and points more clear and obvious.

I am one to always jump into any contest, especially one here, however I feel that when you are hosting any logo competition it is best to refrain from design suggestions. They are unofficial requirements and a cheap way of saying that your logo will have a better shot of winning if it incorporates these elements. Whether or not this is the intention it can skew the design and diversity of the logo's and in make the whole idea of a contest and pointless exercise.

As you have explained this was not your intention and I apologize for misreading it. However I stand by my notion that any design suggestions, especially in the way in which you presented them can send the wrong messages and give off the wrong impression to people. It certainly happened to me and prompted my response. It is not just the words you used that gave a false message it is the way in which they were presented. You presented it alongside a number of other mandatory changes and the way it was worded was essentially saying, "You will score brownie points if you do this.". That is what bothered me and that is what I found insulting. If you could please explain why you chose to word it that way I would be most grateful.

Had you also read my original comment you would have known that I did say " If the skyline was not a new requirement then you need to work on how you phrase and word things because the way I'm reading it is that we must have the skyline and Austrian colors or our logo will not adhere to your tastes." So really my whole argument is about how you say what you say and to be more aware of the subliminal messages that could be derived from it.

I would finally like to add that I do respect you a great deal. You have revived the bid book contests and made them exciting and interesting again, that is a challenge difficult for anyone. It is with respect for you that I did this and I do feel that you are someone that can take some harsh criticism and work with that person to positively resolve the issue.

Again, I apologize for reading your original statement wrong, but please be aware that your type of suggestions can and will be misread which is why it's important to word it in away that gets your message across in a clear way or in the future refrain from similarly styled suggestions.

Mr Bernham,

Thanks for your gracious response.

Having reflected a bit on the points you made, I can see how the suggestion of a skyline and the Austrian colours in the logo can lead to confusion and a restriction of the entrants' creative impulses. I meant no disrespect whatsoever, but I can see how it might have been interpreted that way - in which case I do offer my apologies.

I also looked over the original statement and realize I could have separated the elements into mandatory (Olympic rings and dates) and suggested elements (colours and skyline), and thus made the intent of the message clearer.

As I said, I am and always remain open for constructive ideas - thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Mr Bernham,

Thanks for your gracious response.

Having reflected a bit on the points you made, I can see how the suggestion of a skyline and the Austrian colours in the logo can lead to confusion and a restriction of the entrants' creative impulses. I meant no disrespect whatsoever, but I can see how it might have been interpreted that way - in which case I do offer my apologies.

I also looked over the original statement and realize I could have separated the elements into mandatory (Olympic rings and dates) and suggested elements (colours and skyline), and thus made the intent of the message clearer.

As I said, I am and always remain open for constructive ideas - thanks for bringing this to my attention!

PBE,

I apologize for my original comment which was very hostile and poorly constructed. You have truly been a great host and I am sorry for being a nuisance.

Mr Bernham,

It's all good. We all have moments in which we don't express our thoughts as clearly as we would like and we all go: "Damn, was that turn of phrase really needed?". So, I quite understand - especially as I've been guilty of it myself.

You're not a nuisance, just someone who points out things that can be improved. That's something I welcome!

• Like 1

...can I submit a logo for Vienna?

...I made a vertical and horizontal one.

...the vertical one is primary but the horizontal might be good for some applications.

...if selected I could also make a letterhead or template for your reports if you want.

I took the design brief and worked in the Austrian colors and flag. You can also say the point is a VERY modern-impression of the tall tower of St. Stephen's Chathedral and the other lower blunt right side represents the cathedrals 2 shorter towers....and obviously it's all represented with a V for Vienna. I also think the racing stripe vibe and perspective has a nice sporty elan to it....good to represent an IOC session! Sporty but businessy.

viena-session-logo.png

viena-session-logo300.png

viena-session-logo-h.png

viena-session-logo-h300.png

p.s. I tried to send this this morning to the IOC president but his mailbox is full.

Edited by paul
  • Like 3

The President

For immediate release

London, 25 February 2015

Re: Logo for the 2015 IOC Session in Vienna

The International Olympic Committee hereby thanks the four designers who have stepped forward to propose a logo for the 127th IOC Session to be held on the weekend of 27-29 March 2015 in Vienna (Austria). The designers are Scotguy, Mr Bernham, woohooitsme83 and paul.

It is delighted by the range of creative ideas which have been submitted by the contestants. To recall, the proposals are:

PROPOSAL A (Scotguy)

vienna.jpg

PROPOSAL B (Mr Bernham)

34quvwj.png

PROPOSAL C (Woohooitsme83)

bHSRNB0.png

PROPOSAL D (paul)

viena-session-logo.png

The Executive Board, including its advisory members in this instance, shall return a decision on the logo for the 2015 Session in due course. An announcement will be made upon certification of a formal result. The President shall contact all Executive Board members within the next 24 hours requesting a formal decision.

Voting System

The vote on the logo will be cast by means of a preferential voting system - each member of the Executive Board will designate preferences next to each logo (meaning that the logos will be ranked in the order of 1 to 4). The exception to this rule will be Executive Board member Scotguy (New Zealand) who has presented a design to the Board. In order to avoid any conflict of interest, Scotguy may not vote for his own proposal and will have to rank the other three logos in order of 1 to 3.

Preference votes

The goal will be to achieve a majority of votes cast - initially through the counting of first preferences (all those logos ranked "1"). Should first preferences not yield an absolute majority, the weakest candidate (fourth overall) will be eliminated and its votes redistributed according to successive preferences cast (i.e. those logos given a "2"). This process of elimination will continue until one logo has secured a majority of votes cast. The advantage of this system is that all members will be able to cast a ballot for their preferred choice without their vote ultimately going to waste. Further, it already incorporates runoff voting without the need to call additional Executive Board deliberations and separate rounds of voting.

Doesn't Bernham's need to change the date and add the rings?

It is assumed that this will be done, should he be declared the winner...