Jump to content

Russia 2018 World Cup - Qualification


Recommended Posts

Bruce Arena hired as new USMNT manager, replacing Jurgen Klinsmann

 

U.S. Soccer announced that they have hired Arena to take over for Jurgen Klinsmann, who was fired on Monday. Klinsmann was given the axe after two years of struggles, but mainly because of losses to Mexico and Costa Rica to open the final round of World Cup qualifying that left the Americans dead last in the qualifying group. The immediately focus for Arena will be preparing the U.S. for their next World Cup qualifiers, in March, which the Americans must do well in as they try to dig themselves out of a hole and qualify for the World Cup.

...

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/bruce-arena-usmnt-manager-jurgen-klinsmann-112216

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Confusion for me between Dominica and Dominican Republic. I thought it was the same country. Yes, not in Toronto. I realised that just affer I posted my message. The game in Toronto will be next thu

Europe's Group A is brutal. Also, still really disappointed in how dependent on luck Europe's and Africa's qualification systems are.

When you are bragging about beating Guatamala, it might as well be over. We suck.

  • 3 months later...

AFC

Group A

 

China 1-0 South Korea

Syria 1-0 Uzbekistan

Qatar 0-1 Iran

 

1- Iran 14 pts

2- South Korea 10

3- Uzbekistan 9

4- Syria 8

5- China 5

6- Qatar 4

 

Group B

UAE 0-2 Japan

Iraq 1-1 Australia

Thailand 0-3 Saudi Arabia

 

1- Saudi Arabia 13 pts

2- Japan 13

3- Australia 10

4- United Arab Emirates 9

5- Iraq 4

6- Thailand 1

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CONMEBOL

Uruguay 1-4 Brazil

Argentina 1-0 Chile

Colombia 1-0 Bolivia

Paraguay 2-1 Ecuador

Venezuela 2-2 Peru

 

1- Brazil 30 pts

2- Uruguay 23

3- Argentina 22

4- Colombia 21

5- Ecuador 20

6- Chile 20

7- Paraguay 18

8- Peru 15

9- Bolivia 7

10 - Venezuela 6

Link to post
Share on other sites

UEFA

Group A

Luxembourg 1-3 France

Bulgaria 2-0 Netherlands

Sweden 4-0 Belarus

C7y453bXwAAOS3z.jpg

 

Group B

Portugal 3-0 Hungary

Switzerland 1-0 Latvia

Andorra 0-0 Faroe Islands

C7y8FviXwAAcf-B.jpg

 

Group H

Belgium 1-1 Greece

Bosnia Herzegovina 5-0 Gibraltar

Cyprus 0-0 Estonia

C7y8CwWVsAQtGze.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

At this pace looks like Euro 2016 won't be the only tournament Netherlands is going to miss...what went wrong? :unsure:

Bad coaches and his golden generation is currently old. Similar problems as Italy faced recently. The new generation of Dutch players haven't developped rightly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

UEFA

Group C

Azerbaijan 1-4 Germany

San Marino 0-6 Czech Rep

Northern Ireland 2-0 Norway

C731jSbXkAAPWaC.jpg

 

Group E

Armenia 2-0 Kazakhstan

Romania 0-0 Denmark

Montenegro 1-2 Poland

C732BtHWsAELu_c.jpg

 

Group F

England 2-0 Lithuania

Scotland 1-0 Slovenia

Malta 1-3 Slovakia

C730Jc1XkAAvSWd.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

AFC

Group A

South Korea 1-0 Syria

Iran 1-0 China

Uzbekistan 1-0 Qatar

C8A3cmOXwAAVCEi.jpg

 

Group B

Australia 2-0 UAE

Japan 4-0 Thailand

Saudi Arabia 1-0 Iraq

 

1- Japan 16 pts

2- Saudi Arabia 16

3- Australia 13

4- United Arab Emirates 9

5- Iraq 4

6- Thailand 1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lionel Messi suspended for four matches

 

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee – in application of articles 77 a) and 108 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code (FDC) – has reached a decision in relation to the case of Lionel Messi following an incident that occurred during the match between Argentina and Chile on 23 March 2017 as part of the qualifying competition for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™:

Lionel Messi has been found guilty of violating art. 57 of the FDC for having directed insulting words at an assistant referee.

As a result, Messi will be suspended for four official matches and sanctioned with a fine of CHF 10,000. The first match for which the sanction will apply is the next fixture in the preliminary competition of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ between Bolivia and Argentina, which will be played today, 28 March. The remainder of the sanction will be served over Argentina’s subsequent FIFA World Cup qualifying matches.

This decision is in line with the FIFA Disciplinary Committee’s previous rulings in similar cases.

Both the player and the Argentinian Football Association have been informed of the decision today.

 

FIFA

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2017/m=3/news=lionel-messi-suspended-for-four-matches-2877817.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gotosy said:

Lionel Messi suspended for four matches

 

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee – in application of articles 77 a) and 108 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code (FDC) – has reached a decision in relation to the case of Lionel Messi following an incident that occurred during the match between Argentina and Chile on 23 March 2017 as part of the qualifying competition for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™:

Lionel Messi has been found guilty of violating art. 57 of the FDC for having directed insulting words at an assistant referee.

As a result, Messi will be suspended for four official matches and sanctioned with a fine of CHF 10,000. The first match for which the sanction will apply is the next fixture in the preliminary competition of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ between Bolivia and Argentina, which will be played today, 28 March. The remainder of the sanction will be served over Argentina’s subsequent FIFA World Cup qualifying matches.

This decision is in line with the FIFA Disciplinary Committee’s previous rulings in similar cases.

Both the player and the Argentinian Football Association have been informed of the decision today.

 

FIFA

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2017/m=3/news=lionel-messi-suspended-for-four-matches-2877817.html

Argentina will suffer to get that ticket lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 4:11 PM, Roger87 said:

Bad coaches and his golden generation is currently old. Similar problems as Italy faced recently. The new generation of Dutch players haven't developped rightly.

All that and the possibility that the Dutch may be a victim of its own success and influence with "total football" that was so innovative back then, now utilized all around the world in some strand or another. Maybe it should take a page from what the DFB did in Germany in rebuilding a decade ago at all levels. Look where it is now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Lionel Messi: Argentina forward's ban lifted after appeal to Fifa

Lionel Messi is free to represent Argentina in their World Cup qualifiers after his four-match international ban was overturned on appeal.

The 29-year-old Barcelona forward was suspended for directing "insulting words" at an assistant referee during a 1-0 win over Chile in March.

He missed one match - Argentina's 2-0 World Cup qualifying loss to Bolivia..

A Fifa appeal committee said while his behaviour was "reproachable", the evidence was not sufficient.

He will now be available for matches against Uruguay, Venezuela and Peru as Argentina fight to secure a place at next summer's World Cup finals in Russia.

A fine of 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,800) was also lifted.

...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39822240

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gotosy said:

Lionel Messi: Argentina forward's ban lifted after appeal to Fifa

Lionel Messi is free to represent Argentina in their World Cup qualifiers after his four-match international ban was overturned on appeal.

The 29-year-old Barcelona forward was suspended for directing "insulting words" at an assistant referee during a 1-0 win over Chile in March.

He missed one match - Argentina's 2-0 World Cup qualifying loss to Bolivia..

A Fifa appeal committee said while his behaviour was "reproachable", the evidence was not sufficient.

He will now be available for matches against Uruguay, Venezuela and Peru as Argentina fight to secure a place at next summer's World Cup finals in Russia.

A fine of 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,800) was also lifted.

...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39822240

Not surprise. I guess the terrible ticket sales of the Bolivia-Argentina match was essential to reconsiderate the ban.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps that and the fact Argentina right now is presently sitting at fifth place in South America with the wish to get the momentum out of that spot into the next three and automatically qualify following Brazil as one of soccer's blue bloods.

Well congratulations, Qatar not unexpectedly gets to make history in becoming the first ever World Cup host nation to never previously qualified/participated a previous one. The Qatari players will come into it becoming deer caught in the headlights at home. When it comes to World Cups, it's why having a pedigree matters. Yeah, Qatar qualifies! For 2022!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...