Bid Comp 2028: Ask the Applicant Cities!

BR2028 and Mr. Bernham are the same poster. I think it's pretty clear now.

ofan, is your inbox clear?

BR2028 and Mr. Bernham are the same poster. I think it's pretty clear now.

I'm actually very offended by this. I asked Bernham to post my responses to the questions because the network I was on was keeping me from posting in the forums. I was able to read, but when I tried to comment it would not let me, but it would let me respond to and make PM's . So I wrote my response and PMed Burnham asking him if he would post them sense he was on the active users list at the time.

I am not the same person as Mr.Bernham and have competed against him many times before. Honestly I'm deeply offended by your accusations. This is also not the first time you have been very hostile towards my bid, you even told PBE and the whole forum my bid should be disqualified.

Here are the answers from the organisation comitee from the Copenhagen/Malmoe bid

New York City:

Due to inexperience in graphics/ designs, can a city use renderings from past bids of other cities and edit them to fit their city?

Because that I in the writing moment hoped that I also could exclude one sport, as well as I could pick one. And because I don’t know much about the sport, so I don´t know what kind of space they need. I will in my Candidate file of course have all that finally figured out.

To all the participating cities:

1. What is your budget for Ceremonies?

2. How many cast members do you intend to use in the OC?

3. Can you specify ideas and visualizations of the OC?

4. Which int'l stars do you propose using for the OC and CC??

Same questions for the Paralympics.

All these 4 questions is about the Ceremonies. Of course these are important, but to say at the following point how much money that would be spend is not decided at all. But it will not be a show trying to be bigger than all other shows in history. There will not be spent millions of dollars trying to do bigger than before, of course it will cost millions, but not over the hill a lot of money. It will be a spectacular show, and perhaps shorted a bid off, so there is room enough for the athletes to march in, instead of they are being rushed in, as we have heard of before, and the time-limit almost every time don’t match. But for the show there would be traditional Nordic themes. Something about farming, fishing, and historical things about the wiking´s would be a part of the show. For international stars it is WAY to early to put names on. We are talking about 2028, who knows whom are big stars at that moment. Denmark could have a world top name, or Sweden could. We never know here 13 years before! So no names will be mentioned from us at this time.

To all participating cities:

After the mess of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, how does your bid committee plan on restoring the image of the Olympic movement worldwide?

To restore the Olympic movement there will be made an effort to make the preparations totally open to the people. All finances will be open to follow for everybody during the years up to and after the games. We will not be building 10 new big indoor arenas, but we will think creative, and by splitting the venues to two towns we therefor has much better post venue effects, and therefore cheaper, and more acceptable for the public in general.

A lot of questions, but bear with me!

To all cities:

• How do you intend to promote public transport over cars during the Olympic Games?
  • How do you intend to bring young people and socially disadvantaged classes to the Olympic Games?
  • What are your legacy plans? What's the percentage proportion of temporary vs permanent venues?
  • What is the current capacity that your current international airport(s) can handle?
  • How do you want to ensure that visitors can seamlessly depart from/arrive at the international airport(s) which you have designated to (to/from the Olympic venues)
  • In light of the highly successful volunteer programme in London 2012, how do you intend to improve on that experience
  • What will make your Olympic Torch Relay stand out?
  • How do you want to integrate the internet in the overall visitor and audience experience?

Copenhagen/Malmo

• Bearing in mind that Olympic Games have been/are going to be hosted by major metropolises like London, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo, Beijing, Sydney, Los Angeles and Moscow, isn't this bid a size too much for Copenhagen/Malmo? If not, why not?
  • Any plans to modernize/expand Copenhagen Airport?
  • Isn't your promise to provide 100% green energy for the Olympic Games a little bit too ambitious? If not, why not?
  • Are the Danish and Swedish security forces well-equipped enough for terrorist incidents?
  • You are planning to place the principal Olympic Village in the vicinity of Copenhagen Airport: How do you counter critics who say that the noise for overflying aircraft approaching Kastrup might distract Olympic athletes in terms of relaxation?
  • What's your legacy plan for the new Olympic Stadium to be built in Copenhagen? Where precisely are you planning to build it?

The general questions.

1. Public transportation will be the only acceptable transportation form for the attendance’s to almost every venue. A few exceptions in the venues fare from the center (different football stadiums for example). There will be made big parking lots outside both cities near the railways so there are easily changing from car to rail, before reaching the cities. All public transportation (bus, metro, light rail and rail) will be absolutely free for everybody in the areas around both cities and around 100 km outside of them, to insure everybody don´t drive the cars to the middle of the towns.

2. To bringing young people to the games, we really don’t see as a problem. The young in both countries love sport, and I´m sure that those will automatically turn up. Regarding disadvantaged there of course will be special parking for those near every venue. Every single venue will have wheelchair seating’s and regarding how big the interest are it would be adjusted how many when the games approaches. If a person need to have a personally helper with him/her, that persons ticket would be included in the disadvantaged persons ticketprice.

3. The legacy plans are of course interesting for the new venues. For all the existing venues, and venues that are temporarily rebuild, of course they continue as they aready are. We have a 2 venues that are marked as New in my venue plan, that actually should be “temporarily” venues. That are the Beach Volleyball arena at the beach, this will only be built for these games, besides of that there are the BMX track. The track itself will be used for national training center afterwords, but the seatings around will be moved. There are a list of venues that have temp. seats. Golf, Road cyckling, sailing etc. etc. etc.. The 2 things that are most important regarding post venue use are the Olympic Aquastic centre, and The Olympic stadium. The aquastic will all the seats be removed and there will be installed water slides and the whole venue will be turned in to waterland for tourist with cafés etc etc etc. Copenhagen could really need a good waterland for familys, tourists and so on.
The Olympic stadium will be built with the thought of only exist for few years. We will try to use it for some years and see how many concerts and other events we can attract to Copenhagen, but we are very aware that the best solution probably is only build it for temp use. It will be cheaper seeing long term, than it stands and has to be maintained, and not used.
That was the short version of post venue using.

4. Copenhagen airport had round 24 million passengers in 2014, and has plans to exceed that to 40 million. This is a world class internationally airport.

5. Both train and metro goes directly to the airport and you can walk from both indoors directly to check in.

6. By covering 2 cities and 2 countries, we believe it would increase the possibility to attract volunteers. We of course also go to the other countries in the Nordic and rest of Europe, and we believe that we will succeed to find the necessary amount of volunteers.

7. The Olympic torch relay will stand out because if (of course) goes through 2 countries. It will be at the mountains in northern Sweden to the flat land of the vest coast of Denmark. It would be running over bridges, sailed to the smaller islands, and go all around both countries.

8. Internet will be free for everybody at all Olympic venues and in all public transportation and all open squares that’s regarding anything to the Olympics. Shortly spoken, everywhere. We will make free internet for everybody everywhere in the 2 cities. When we reach 2028 we believe it already exist for everybody, so this is not anything speciel. Online of course the audience can reach scores, live pictures from other venues, commentated on different language and much much more.

The specific questions

1. No it is of course not a bit too much. Why should it be that? We match the Olympic games to fit in to our size and needs. We don´t build 10 new venues with no use, we have most of them already. We have a very good public transportation network; we are one of the riches countries in the world. We are fist mover on green energy and environment. Why should we be too small? What is it that we don´t have that we need? Regarding hotels we split it up to 2 towns. Copenhagen has a beuatifull harbor for cruiseships so we easily can get 15-20.000 hotel rooms temporarily there. And with trains directly to the Olympic town and walking distance to the venues there, from many parts of Denmark and Sweden, and not forget Hamburg with our new tunnel from Denmark to Germany, there are only 2 hour ride in train in 2028 between those two cities.

2. As mentioned earlier there are plans to exceed the yearly passenger number to 40 million by adding a terminal more and other improvements.

3. Why is that too ambitious? In 2014 39% of all electricity used in Denmark came from Wind power. And there are also solar energy as an increasing factor and other forms of green energy .

4. Of course we are well equipped for security incidents. Many big events had taken place in Denmark with no problems. We had the big Clima top meeting in 2009 with all world leaders attending, including Barack Obama. (He was also here when the host for 2016 were chosen same year). We have a very good police department and our military are very good educated and participate in internationally actions around the World.

5. Yes the Olympic village and the Olympic stadium are planned for the area around 4-5 km from the Airport, I will of course be more precisely map in the candidate file. But it is the purple X on my map in the current file, closest to the green area or in the green area within that mark. Regarding sound that of course are not an issue in the rooms. They will all be very good soundproofed. The landing area are in a direction that does the planes don´t come directly over the area, and 90% of the time they come on from the water side, and not over the city. We are considering to move the Olympic stadium to another area (The light blue on the map), but that are under consideration and not determined yet.

6. As mentioned earlier under legacy in the general questions.

We hope this clears some of things up for you.

200px-Olympic_rings_without_rims.svg.png

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

The President

To: the Members of the Gamesbid Olympic Family

For immediate release

London, 10 February 2015

Re: Recent accusations regarding leadership of Toronto 2028 and Paris 2028 Campaigns

This afternoon, a member of the Executive Committee of the IOC raised doubts regarding the identity of the bid leaders of the Toronto and Paris bids.

The President of the International Olympic Committee takes these accusations seriously and endeavours to investigate the state of affairs in an appropriate manner. Due to the controversy caused, the President of the International Olympic Committee hereby asks the two bid leaders in question to clear their inboxes. By tomorrow morning, they will be receiving an email with further requests for information and directions regarding further action to be taken. The cooperation of both cities is expected.

Until then, the President asks all sides concerned to refrain from name-calling, accusations and negative attacks.

For the purposes of clarity: The Paris bid is instructed to continue work on its Preliminary Application File and present it in accordance with the deadline given in the official warning issued to it two days ago. The Toronto bid is instructed to keep answering any and all questions regarding its bid. Other Applicant Cities are instructed to not participate in any speculation, accusation or the casting of aspersions on any bid (whether in public or in private). They are also instructed to refrain from privately contacting the bid leaders in question until the accusations concerned have been cleared up.

• Like 1

To all cities:

1- New York City has one of the most biggest and evolved subway system in the world. All venues will be within a ten minute walk from subway stations. Visitors can also use ferries, buses, and taxi cabs. Athletes will be able to use high speed private ferries to get to their venues quickly and comfortably.

2- New York City is fuller of young people looking to start the next chapter of their life here. Socially disadvantaged people just have to step out of their apartments and they will feel the olympic movement within New York.

3- New York City will rely on existing venues. The legacy is one if the most important aspects of the games. The plan is designed so that "white elephants" won't be left around the city. Although the olympic stadium is permanent, either the New York Giants or Jets, American Football teams, will move into the stadium after the Olympics. 55% of venues are existing, 30% are temporary, and 15% are permanent.

4- John F. Kennedy- 50,000,000 (2013

Newark Liberty- 35,000,000 (2013)

LaGuardia- 27,000,000 (2013)

5- Surrounding New York City are 3 international airports, so the crowds will be split in to a third at a typical international airport. Athletes and spectators will be able to travel on New York's subway system with ease and safety to reach venues from airports.

6- New York City's volunteer program will be highly successful. We will utilize the Olympism in New York to spread the atmosphere around the city.

7- America as a while is one of the most innovative countries in the world. To show this, we will send the Olympic Torch to the moon! This will be the first time the torch will be on another surface besides earth. The torch will visit surrounding cities that have hosted summer olympics such as Montreal and Mexico City. The torch will also visit Hawaii for the first time.

8- The olympics in New York will rely heavily on technology. And app will be created so that you can buy apps on your portable device. Social media pages will be created so that the olympic movement will spread beyond New York and the United States.

Questions specifically toward NYC will be released shortly.

1- The United States of America is a big country, a lot of people know that. The past summer olympics have been in the west or south. Never have an summer olympics been in the north east corridor of the United States, this is what makes the olympics in New York special. Also, no city in the US, geographically speaking, is set up the way New York is, with two rivers that merge to create a stunning harbor.

2- The NYPD is one of the most evolved police forces in the world. They have one of the best intelligence agencies in the country too. The NYC2028 team can assure everyone that the police will be well equipped and ready for the games.

3- Although there will be a lot of security checkpoints, eg: security to get into the olympic park, the another security checkpoint to get into a venue, we will keep everyone safe. We won't have soldiers walking around with assault rifles.

4/5- The slogan is derived from two things. 1- encourages athletes and the youth to dream big and strive for their dreams. The second part is for from the characteristics of NYC. One of many nicknames for NYC is "The Big City". The building are big, the parks are big, and the sports are big. The slogan, just like the logo aren't final, there will be many revisions up and coming.

I'm actually very offended by this. I asked Bernham to post my responses to the questions because the network I was on was keeping me from posting in the forums. I was able to read, but when I tried to comment it would not let me, but it would let me respond to and make PM's . So I wrote my response and PMed Burnham asking him if he would post them sense he was on the active users list at the time.

I am not the same person as Mr.Bernham and have competed against him many times before. Honestly I'm deeply offended by your accusations. This is also not the first time you have been very hostile towards my bid, you even told PBE and the whole forum my bid should be disqualified.

I apologize. I was making a joke.

A lot of questions, but bear with me!

To all cities:

How do you intend to promote public transport over cars during the Olympic Games?

The planned venues will be strategically placed in areas that are most accessible. Whether it be walkable (City Centre, University) or rideable (Newlands) areas of the city, all clusters will have access to, at least, one form of public or mass transit in a walkable distance. Reduced fares (or possible even free transit entirely) will also be offered to ticket-holders as well as some complimentary passes and special merchandises. Public transit is developing rapidly in Cape Town and more lines are expected to open by 2028. Metro Rail has also been receiving frequent updates over the last years.

How do you intend to bring young people and socially disadvantaged classes to the Olympic Games?

Cape Town is a melting pot for the young and old. In fact, almost 56% of the city is comprised of individuals under the age of 35. The city is diverse region of language and race that is passionate in sports and pride, but also love. As each generation passes, more equality and acceptance is shared among the people of the world. We would like to enhance and showcase our share in the part via uses of the internet, an essential tool that connects the people (particularly young) with the world.

Social inequality is a serious issue in South Africa and we are not ignoring it. The committee wishes to have the Olympic Games remove the barrier between the classes to unify Nation or, at the very least, region through the power of sports and national pride. As stated in our preliminary document, the city is quite “sports-crazy” and we wish to enhance this common trait by the extensive use and improvement of community centres around the region. This would not only serve the athletes, but allow all of our citizens to feel the Olympic movement. Upgraded facilities also call for more uses, so during the games, community centres all around the region will be streaming events, hosting a community events and games to unify and serve all citizens with our free facilities.

What are your legacy plans? What's the percentage proportion of temporary vs permanent venues?

Our legacy will emphasize community growth and unification. As explained in the previous questions, we hope the games will remove the barrier between social classes through the power of sports (as Mandela once said). With upgraded community facilities, the immediate area will be served well with resources available to them to grow and learn (eg. Education for areas with little education, Water and Electric services for individuals who lack them, etc). We also hope the games will provide a catalyst for overall literal unification through public transport, walkability, facility upgrades, and park improvements. The proposed Olympic Park will also become the heart of national pride and hope.

What is the current capacity that your current international airport(s) can handle?

Cape Town International Airport currently has the capacity to handle 14.5 million passengers at once. The airport was even among the winners of the World Travel Awards due to its title as being Africa's leading airport. The airport serves as a proud legacy from the 2010 FIFA World Cup and would possibly become another legacy of the Olympic Games if necessary.

How do you want to ensure that visitors can seamlessly depart from/arrive at the international airport(s) which you have designated to (to/from the Olympic venues)

The airport’s location is at the literal heart of the city thus it offers ideal and convenient connections to all parts of the city with reasonable travel times. The airport is also connected to the extensive and rapidly expanding MyCiti IRT/BRT network.

In light of the highly successful volunteer programme in London 2012, how do you intend to improve on that experience

Cape Town is home to a busting and eager younger generation. We hope to have the volunteers work and be positioned in the most effective way an deposition. Being in the 21st century, we wish to use technological advancements to offer the best experience that we can give to the volunteers and visitors. Volunteers with access to their own smartphones or tablets will be able to use a specially designed app to help assist them to make the overall game experience for seamless for both parties. The app will offer live updates and instructions as well as visual aide and maps to those who are lost or are looking for a venue (or maybe even a restaurant!). If volunteers do not have access to a phone or tablet, they will be loaned one. The devices will be donated for educational uses after the games.

What will make your Olympic Torch Relay stand out?

The games have never been hosted in Africa thus this new landscape will offer a new and exciting journey for the Olympic flame to travel on. From deserts to savannas to jungles, Africa has them all. The torch will pass through iconic landmarks (whether natural or man-made) before reaching the beautiful Table Mountains of Cape Town.

How do you want to integrate the internet in the overall visitor and audience experience?

As stated before, apps will be heavily used to improve visitor experiences. We hope the heavy use of the internet will push forward and unify the nation technologically by exposing and integrating the internet to the games. Interactive/touch-screen computer stations and apps will offer visitors a chance to communicate with each other, the organizers, and volunteers to make their overall experience better via an online forum and feedback database. The website for the games will also offer an all-in-one stop for planning your trip to Cape Town in a convenient and efficient manner.

whew! that took longer than I thought!

Also I would like to add that the volunteers would (obviously) also need a unified, distinct but meaningful/aesthetically pleasing uniform like London.

*like what London did

How do you intend to promote public transport over cars during the Olympic Games?

Sapporo is well known in Japan for being a walkable city with excellect bus, train and light rail links across the Sapporo plateau and into the surrounding mountains. Car ownership has actually dropped in Sapporo in the past decade – a paramount example of a public transport legacy in action. All tickets holders will be given free public transport access for the entire day of their event to help keep congestion down. Furthermore, a program incentivizing drivers to not use private vehicles - unless car pooling - is already in effect.

How do you intend to bring young people and socially disadvantaged classes to the Olympic Games?

10% of all event tickets will be set aside for the underprivileged and students of Hokkaido. The Sapporo bid team is striving to expand this program by further wherever possible. As part of our hosting plan – we envision a four year education program throughout Japanese schools teaching the principles of Ciltius, Altius and Fortius. By Games time, the whole youth of Japan will be educated on Olympic ideals. The Sapporo Olympic Village will be handed over to the local Government to be used for disadvantaged and low earning locals – offering exceptional economical housing. This legacy shows what a Games can do for Hokkaido – generations of change.

What are your legacy plans? What's the percentage proportion of temporary vs. permanent venues?

The vast majority of venues are already in existence across Sapporo and Hokkaido. We anticipate five temporary venues and one new permanent venue that while not bid dependent has been included in the Games budget as the Games will necessitate a considerable enlargement to that venue.

What is the current capacity that your current international airport(s) can handle?

New Chitose Airport currently handles 16,400,000 passengers annually. The new and planned extensions will comfortably enable over 22,000,000 per annum. The secondary airport will be Games time only so they will handle whatever capacity is needed in conjunction with the New Chitose Airport.

How do you want to ensure that visitors can seamlessly depart from/arrive at the international airport(s) which you have designated to (to/from the Olympic venues)

The New Chitose Airport is directly linked via a freeway, rail link and local road system to downtown Sapporo. The main venue clusters (Makomanai and Sapporo Dome) are both accessible by direct road and rail links. The secondary airport is for VIP/athlete/cargo use only and as such public transport concerns do not apply.

In light of the highly successful volunteer programme in London 2012, how do you intend to improve on that experience?

Japan has a tradition of volunteerism that has existing for centuries. By engaging local organizations and schools we anticipate an influx of volunteer interest. Furthermore Sapporo proposes utilising the Hokkaido University campus as an international volunteer village – inviting Olympic volunteers from games past to apply for one of 2500 roles during the Sapporo Games. The Sapporo Olympic Fund will cover transport, lodging and per diem costs assocated with this program.

What will make your Olympic Torch Relay stand out?

The Sapporo bid team is still finalising torch relays plans – however we can confirm that we plan on lighting a series of mountain top flame towers around the city as part of the Opening Ceremony – making Sapporo itself part of the cauldron.

How do you want to integrate the internet in the overall visitor and audience experience?

Day to day Japanese life is strongly meshed with the internet. Being one of the world’s early adaptors and technological leaders means we are well prepared to integrate ticketing and scheduling as well as the timely movement of visitors and locals into existing computer systems. Our real time displays will be dotted throughout the city as well as the continued improvement to the city wide free wifi network. Each ticket purchaser will be able to enrol in sms updates to their events so any changes can be confirmed with as much advance knowledge as possible. For those not attending, the Sapporo bid team has partnered with NHK to guarantee free event streaming globally. While individual broadcasters can opt out of a feed in their language, the Japanese feed will be available to all.

Sapporo specific questions.

How would you address criticism regarding Sapporo's relative obscurity in Japanese summer sports? Why not hand the Summer Olympics to a city like Osaka instead?

Hokkaido has hosted numerous ‘summer’ sporting world championships, FIFA World Cup matches and Rugby World Cup matches. The Sapporo triathlon and marathon attracts thousands of international entrants. While a quiet achiever in ‘summer’ sports, Sapporo still does well. Olympic champions have come from Sapporo in both the Summer and Winter Games.

In regards to why Osaka is not bidding, Sapporo defeated Osaka, Fukuoka, Hiroshima and Sendai for the national applicant role. The JOC has determined our plan to be accessible and sustainable. It is no mistake that Sapporo has been given this honour. Furthermore the urban sprawl of Sapporo is minimal when compared to the other domestic bidders. Sapporo alone can offer a a truly compact core Games while still sharing the events around.

You intend to host the Paralympic Games prior to the Olympic Games: How do you deal with objections that assert that the Paralympics are essentially being downgraded to a warm-up for "the real thing"?

The Sapporo bid team takes great offence at the suggestion the Paralympics are being used as a ‘warm up’ event. The Paralympics will be staged as a grand introduction to a whole Summer of sport. By staging them first, the Games will generate massive publicity – not only for their competitions and those who follow Paralympic sport, but also for those curious at what is coming next.

By staging the Paralympics first they will generate their own identity and legacy – not being an afterthought and an obligation after the main games. This will also help generate higher awareness and revenue for the IPC who have completely backed our plans and will plan on approaching the other biders to see if they are prepared to match our own plans.

How do you address critics who contend that your Olympic bid, whilst forgoing an Olympic Park is essentially a) making it more difficult for visitors to travel around; effectively eliminating the experience of getting to know Sapporo itself and c) making it harder to develop an Olympic spirit

Our response is that a lack of an Olympic Park is going to allow more visitors to see more of Sapporo. There will be venue clusters – at Makomanai and the Dome precinct. By spreading the venues around this will enable our visitors (and local areas) to celebrate the diverse range of communities that make up our city. By making the whole city the Olympic Park – backed up with a world class transport program – if anything this is forcing visitors to interact more deeply. By utilising the whole city, every corner will benefit from Olympic improvements and ongoing upgrades.

Otaru is currently seen as a bedroom community: Currently, your plans intend to host all aquatic events there - how will the town cope with the influx of additional visitors, especially as Otaru has no noteworthy public transport system within the city?

Otaru is directly linked to the JR line from Sapporo station. The city also has bus connections. During Games time the town will make the station to venue route (approximately 1100 metres) pedestrian only 3 hours prior to each session and for two hours after. A mini bus system will take VIP, disabled and other special need guests directly to the venue. The main thoroughfare will feature a number of food options, cultural displays and will also feature the Otaru live site at the major junction within the new city park.

Sessions time will be organised to not only benefit our international broadcast partners, but also avoid peak traffic times for residents.

Another point is that the Games will be staged during an altered school holiday period and where possible companies will be allowed to minimise their local workforce (also where no financial disadvantage will be felt) during Games time. The local sponsors have already agreed to these terms in their contacts.

Doesn't the award of the 2017 Asian Winter Games demonstrate that Sapporo might have been better advised to apply for the 2022 or 2026 Olympic Winter Games, and that this summer endeavour is something of a gambit the IOC would take?

Sapporo is a world class winter sports destination. Quite simply – it is time to diversify. We have the venues, we have the funding and we have the will and the drive. We offer a sound and safe environment with a stable system of Government. There is no gamble here. Japan has always and will continue to deliver world class sporting events. A Sapporo Games will be smaller in scale than other recent hosts – but by no means is this a bad thing for the IOC. A Sapporo Games is a way to reset the Games and move them forward in an affordable, ethical manner.

As an adendum - the Sapporo bid team feels the majority of these questions would be answered in the candidate phase and questions whether or not this will lead to a duplication of information that the executive board may find quite tiresome...

How do you want to address the criticism of South Africa's organizational capabilities after the 2010 FIFA World Cup, especially the line of argument that essentially says that Africa can't organize substantive multi-sports events?

With each passing event, the nation holds more experience to create improvements. With each passing failure or dissatisfaction, you learn more about yourself and, ideally, you would wish to improve upon it. The games offer a fresh start (and a smaller focus area) for the nation and we have plans to better streamline the organization through the use of technology and other resources to showcase what the World Cup cannot offer. The World Cup and Olympics are truly unique and different in their own aspects and thus require different requirements and organization for each. South Africa is gaining new experience as each event (major or minor) passes and being a part of BRICS makes us feel obligated to improve more for the betterment of our future.

More specifically, how do you want to leave a lasting legacy for the poor and other disadvantaged classes, whilst avoiding the Olympic Games becoming a refuge for the privileged social strata in South Africa?

(see previous post for answers)

How would you answer critics who might say that the lack of a underground rail system hampers transport and makes it too reliant on highways and overground rail services?

New technologies are being developed daily and the nation is eager to accept and implement what has been proven successful as long as it long term benefits to the region. Straddling buses or other new transport tech made available from now until 2028 may provide relief on our highways and rail. If the IOC or community shows serious concerns over the transportation in Cape Town, small plans of subways and/or other forms of transit have been brought up numerously in the past. Statistics have shown that about 23% of Capetonians ride public transport and almost 8% walk. With proper promoting, Cape Town can ease into a more transit-oriented city with the Olympics as the catalyst.

Our proud and steadily growing MyCiti IRT/BRT network will promote the use of dedicated lanes rather than shared highways and roads. Scenic trails and avenue improvements will promote walking, and bike lanes/trails and a possible bike-sharing program will promote biking. Ferries that run along our beautiful coast at high speeds will also offer another option. With proper communication and advertisement, visitors should and will be informed of the diverse range of options to get around during the games. Our overground rail services are also improving to accommodate more passengers with proper balance in convenience, cleanliness, and utilities.

How would you counter critics who find that community relations in South Africa are getting worse and don't exactly offer a safe perspective?

We wish to regain trust from the very people who make our nation great. It is a long road and bumpy ahead and mutual trust is required to make the games successful. Polls have already shown that the country is very passionate about sports and the Olympics, so we trust them to do their part whether it be during community sessions or online, we will try to offer a way to remain as transparent as possible and admit to/find solutions to any issues they find or raise to continue to build up trust.

Correction for my previous post: the airport can handle 14.5m p.a. not at once.

*my previous post for answers

Melbourne:

Why do you think you can win the games even though the IOC already ruled out hosting an Olympics from September onwards? Yes they allowed Sydney but they have made their position pretty clear in recent years.

Given that Sydney was allowed to host a highly successful Olympic Games in 2000 in the post-September period, it can be safely assumed that this IOC has certainly not "ruled out" the Summer Olympics being hosted post-September. It strongly prefers the traditional summer months in the Northern Hemisphere. In any case, Rule 32.3 of the Olympic Charter states that the dates of the Olympic Games shall be determined by the Executive Board.

to all applicants : i'm interested to know your specific plans for the media broadcasting and accountability of the games information for the public...

Frankly, that's a question for the Candidate City Phase - not the current Applicant City phase...

All bids:

How do you plan to use the recent advance of social media technology to promote your bid?

Has your bid committee considered the use of a public referendum to determine support levels? Is public support a serious issue for your bid?

Just so you know, the Melbourne 2028 committee has been very busy meeting Australian government officials and building up support from across the country for the past few days, but expect answers to the Executive Committee's questions in a day or two ;)

• Like 1

All bids:

How do you plan to use the recent advance of social media technology to promote your bid?

Has your bid committee considered the use of a public referendum to determine support levels? Is public support a serious issue for your bid?

The Toronto bid operates under the motto "Dream a Dream". Toronto will promote the bid by using this, through our website and social media accounts. Additionally the Toronto committee will host events across Canada and will continuously promote the bid with banners, events and bid related projects in schools, and multiple commercials on Canadian TV and You-Tube.

Public support is not a serious issue for the Toronto Committee and has survived a referendum and has city government, provincial government, and national government backing and support. The Toronto bid has been approved and enthusiastically supported by our city and nation.

All bids:

As noted before, the committee wishes to strengthen trust and community involvement. A simpler, smaller-scaled version of our Games-app concept will be tested in the developing application. The app also plans to include an “Olympify” feature which will allow users to use their camera and “Olympify” the streets and views of Cape Town with a few interactive features involved along with the feedback and forums. The app, however, is currently restricted to some simpler features as the bid is only in the applicant phase. Aside from the typical social media forms (Facebook, Twitter, Hashtags), we are also planning on creating a community (or international!) driven gallery of support. Whether it is a fan-made poster or t-shirt/video, or simply a group of friends spelling out Cape Town with body positions, the community can express their support and creativity to the world. Activities and events will try to drum up support across the nation with city/nation-wide decorations and contests. All of this will be updated through social media and the website currently under construction. We will not enforce pesky advertisements but will try to let the community and internet drive the campaign to success.

Although we have not directly offered a referendum per se, we have been sending out city-wide polls. Results seem quite positive so far and based on our social media and telephone reports, trends have been pointing to the positive side. Trust seems to be a continuing issue but we hope the first community meeting held next week will strengthen the hope and trust of the people in us.

One more day to go: Questions are permitted until tomorrow (14 Feb 2015, 23:59 GMT). Any cities which have not been able to respond to the questions: Now is your time to do so!

The Executive Board will vote on the designation of Candidate Cities on 15 February 2015.

New York City and Cape Town: Can you provide the precise dates for when you intend to stage the Olympic Games? (not the Paralympics)

Toronto

• Compared to other Applicant Cities, Toronto's subway system is somewhat still struggling. Are you planning any extensions to the subway system (beyond the ones already scheduled), and if so, where and by when?
  • Same question as for New York City: We've had the Summer Olympic Games in Montréal in 1976, followed by the Winter Olympic Games in Calgary (1988) and Vancouver (2010). How does giving the Olympic Games to Canada once again represent a new frontier worth pursuing for the IOC?
  • What measures do you intend to take to prevent a repeat of Montréal 1976?
  • What will your bid specifically do for the Olympic Movement that the other Applicant Cities cannot do?

All bids:

The NYOOC plans on using social media to expand the games go all ages, especially the youth. Social media could be used for updates like scheduling. An app will be created so that spectators can download tickets on their phones.

We have not considered a referendum because we believe it is unnecessary due to high public support.

New York City and Cape Town: Can you provide the precise dates for when you intend to stage the Olympic Games? (not the Paralympics)

The NYOOC plans to host the olympics in 2028 from July 28th- August 13.