What defines a 'sport'?

Rob2012

Just reading the snooker and billiards thread and it strikes me just how woolly the definition of 'sport' is and how difficult it is to draw the line between what is and what isn't a sport.

I mean, it's fairly obvious that things like team sports, and T&F are sports.

But what about darts, snooker - which don't require peak physical fitness but do require huge skill and control? What about equestrian - should the horses get more credit? And motorsport which requires huge levels of fitness at the top level and physical skill. but which is so dependent on the engineering to decide who wins and who doesn't? Are some of these NOT sports, or are they less 'pure' sports, or are they sports just like everything else?

What about sports with subjective scoring systems - dance 'sports'? Do we consider these less 'pure' a sport than something that can be measured in hundredths of a second objectively like in T&F?

And then we come to a really tricky one: e-sports. As motion sensor technology matures the line is going to blur whether we like it or not. But would you ever consider them sports?

Basically, where do you draw the line and why? And a seperate question, assuming hosts have an infintely large budget and an infinitely large Olympic village, would you ever draw a line between what should and shouldn't be an Olympic sport?

Just curious to see what people think.....

Just reading the snooker and billiards thread and it strikes me just how woolly the definition of 'sport' is and how difficult it is to draw the line between what is and what isn't a sport.

I mean, it's fairly obvious that things like team sports, and T&F are sports.

But what about darts, snooker - which don't require peak physical fitness but do require huge skill and control? What about equestrian - should the horses get more credit? And motorsport which requires huge levels of fitness at the top level and physical skill. but which is so dependent on the engineering to decide who wins and who doesn't? Are some of these NOT sports, or are they less 'pure' sports, or are they sports just like everything else?

Maybe it would be easiest to define what types of sport would be eligible for inclusion in particular tournaments. Organisation of Olympics, for example, would be somewhat streamlined by excluding sports where the main power source was not the human body (obviously motor racing, but also sailing ....).

sport
spôrt/
noun
  1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as baseball and soccer"

Kinda vague, but yeah. I think the real issue is determining whether it would be a sport or Olympic sport.

Personally, any one can call whatever diversion they indulge in a sport. This SPortin' Life, eh??

But if we're talking Olympics, then -- if I were to write the criteria:

- has to be codified. There has to int'll accepted rules and a body to oversee the sport.

- Played in X number of countries, in X no. of continents, etc., etc.

- should be photogenic;

- should be able to attract a "live" crowd of at least 7-8,000; and

- has to be approved by me!! B)

But seriously, even in, say Ballroom Dancing, there are also exceptions -- like, and my bro is an Argentine tango enthusiast. There are, when we last spoke on the subject like 2 years ago -- int'l codes for what is supreme or world's best in Argentine tango. THere are many schools and styles, so without a specific code or set of criteria, then it cannot become competitive and thus be considered a sport (yet).

The IOC does a pretty good job of delineating what should get on the Olympic slates...and their primary demarcation of there must be NO motor-driven activity. There are implements like bikes, boats and guns -- but for the most part, their handling and performance are directed by human effort.

Well, I was always told that the difference between a sport and a game is the Beer Test. If you can do the activity and drink a beer at the same time, it's a game. If you can't do both simultaneously, it's a sport. Works for me!

Well, I was always told that the difference between a sport and a game is the Beer Test. If you can do the activity and drink a beer at the same time, it's a game. If you can't do both simultaneously, it's a sport. Works for me!

By that test athletics isn't a sport :P

Archived