Look of the Games: Torch Relay Logo

mattygs

With the recent reveal of the Rio torch relay and relay logo, thought it might be a good time to head back and look at some of the different logos used for their part of the look of the Games.

Favourites?

hqdefault.jpg

Barcelona 92

34L94-Outdoor.jpg

Lillehammer 94

trchrely.gif

Atlanta 96

Coca_Nagano98_TorchR_1.jpg

Nagano 98

sydney-2000.gif

Sydney 2000

263px-2002_Olympic_torch_relay_logo.svg.

Salt Lake 2002

ath2004globalthumbgv4.jpg

Athens 2004

3060000000057086.JPG?0.8085290060767609

Torino 2006

20080406_logo-torch.jpg

Beijing 2008

Vancouver_2010_Olympic_Torch_Relay_Emble

Vancouver 2010

promo-torch.png

London 2012

sport10_d1f9d99d0d0a829dcdaa780d1efb3e9e

Sochi 2014

logo.png?w=320

Rio 2016

As nice as the Sochi and London graphics are, I do prefer the runner based logos of the Sydney era.

I think Athens and Lillehammer would have to be my favourites.

As far as Rio goes, I've loved their look of the Games so far, but this one is a little bit of a miss for me. It seems very static.

Sydney, Torino and Atlanta were my fave ones. I also liked their uniforms (then again the overall look of Atlanta and Torino were memorable). The Rio relay logo is ok, simple but i feel its missing something, for some reason.

London was the worst on the aspect it was lazy, they just colored the logo (which was something that already sucked) gold. Sochi was also somewhat lackluster since it just reused things which were done already in the brand.

London was the worst on the aspect it was lazy, they just colored the logo

It wasn't "lazy" at all - that was the whole point of London's logo, it was a shell that could be used across many applications giving instant recognisability, and it worked. You might not have liked it, but you don't need to deliberately miss the point! :huh:

London was the worst on the aspect it was lazy, they just colored the logo (which was something that already sucked) gold. Sochi was also somewhat lackluster since it just reused things which were done already in the brand.

The thing was though, during the 2012 relay itself, the logo was almost irrelevant. What was shown on TV was the torch itself; and "live" what was more noticeable was the sheer size of the accompanying convoy- nobody was looking at the logo.

Overall, it's noticeable that the relay logos shown here with sponsor logos included tend to suffer by comparison with relay logos which are shown on their own.

Archived