So it will be Canada vs. Netherlands for an Olympic spot in water polo barring a surprising German victory over Italy. Canada has played very strongly against Hungary and France, good against Russia and poor against Romania and Slovakia. Hopefully they play like they did against Hungary and come out with a win and an Olympic birth.

Because of how the tiebreakers work, Canada will be playing Spain, as the Dutch will finish in second.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We weren't pissing on your cornflakes, so take your racist records and piss off.

Canada Olympic uniforms unveiled

Nope! Surprising decision but that was the plan since 2014 apparently.

Because of how the tiebreakers work, Canada will be playing Spain, as the Dutch will finish in second.

When I saw the wikipedia page it had Netherlands vs. Canada. I would have been a lot happier with that matchup. Spain, Hungary and Italy were the favourites to qualify with Canada, Romania and Russia going for the 4th. The Dutch really did well to upset that balance.

I think the Canadian Swimming Trials are going well. A maximum of 23 qualified so far, (given that at least 4 will qualify in both 100m free relays) and it shouldn't be a stretch to qualify enough to match the 31 from London.

Edited by Faster

When I saw the wikipedia page it had Netherlands vs. Canada. I would have been a lot happier with that matchup. Spain, Hungary and Italy were the favourites to qualify with Canada, Romania and Russia going for the 4th. The Dutch really did well to upset that balance.

I think the Canadian Swimming Trials are going well. A maximum of 23 qualified so far, (given that at least 4 will qualify in both 100m free relays) and it shouldn't be a stretch to qualify enough to match the 31 from London.

Well 6 were selected with B stanard in 2012 and the A standard is much more difficult this time around.

Well 6 were selected with B stanard in 2012 and the A standard is much more difficult this time around.

There wasn't 5 or 6 swimmers last time posting world class times either. The women's side of the field hasn't been this strong since we had Joanne Malar and Marianne Limpert.

Not too sad about table tennis.

Rowing is weird, usually Rowing Canada takes apart the fours to make an 8. This time they have qualified two fours and are going after the quad.

Swimming still as two more possibilities, the men's 4x100m medley relay and Eric Hedlin in the 10km. The time the four guys posted today would have been good enough to qualify directly last year and should be good enough this year. Won't know until June I think.

Not too sad about table tennis.

Rowing is weird, usually Rowing Canada takes apart the fours to make an 8. This time they have qualified two fours and are going after the quad.

Swimming still as two more possibilities, the men's 4x100m medley relay and Eric Hedlin in the 10km. The time the four guys posted today would have been good enough to qualify directly last year and should be good enough this year. Won't know until June I think.

Canada's team will likely have 31 swimmers in the end.

The medley team will qualify (their time is way ahead of the other 3 qualifying positions). In that case Darragh and Block would be added. The men's 4x200 relay is 16th (and in the last qualifying spot) so a bit more tricky for them. If they qualify Kisil, Thormeyer and the additions of Bagshaw and Milosevic will round out the team.

Hedlin cannot qualify as Weinberger has qualified already in the event.

Nope! Surprising decision but that was the plan since 2014 apparently.

I think Rowing Canada believes that between the Quads, Fours and LW Fours they can get two medals instead of putting the Quad and Four together to win 1. I think this was a decision based on the medals = money. I believe Rowing Canada wants 4 medals.

I think Rowing Canada believes that between the Quads, Fours and LW Fours they can get two medals instead of putting the Quad and Four together to win 1. I think this was a decision based on the medals = money. I believe Rowing Canada wants 4 medals.

Most likely. However no men's boats won medals at the worlds last year so it will be an uphill battle to win 1, yet alone 2 medals.

You were right

http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2016/04/15/canadian-rowers-focusing-on-technique-ahead-of-rio-olympics.html

It is just a little sad with the 8's. It is the only event Canada has won a gold medal in multiple times over the last 30 years winning gold in 84, 92 and 08. Only other thing that comes close is Marnie McBean and Kathleen Heddle winning gold in the pairs in 92 and in the double sculls in 1996.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon McBride ran a world leading time today and pre-qualified for the Olympics in the 800m. Aaron Brown also pre-qualified in the 100 and 200. Also on the track note, does anyone know if Damian Warner or Jessica Zelinka are going to compete in individual events and not just the decathlon/heptathlon? I should also add the Thiesen-Eaton could compete in long jump as well.

Edited by Faster

Brandon McBride ran a world leading time today and pre-qualified for the Olympics in the 800m. Aaron Brown also pre-qualified in the 100 and 200. Also on the track note, does anyone know if Damian Warner or Jessica Zelinka are going to compete in individual events and not just the decathlon/heptathlon? I should also add the Thiesen-Eaton could compete in long jump as well.

Hopefully Warner does, Zelinka isn't even in the top 3 (she should focus on the hep. however she still doesn't have a score that qualifies).

Canada's shooting team was named

Meyer replaces Chuboda who won the quota. Meyer used to be good but with age has gotten worse. Don't expect too much from her.

Kyjeko has the ability to surprise and hopefully she can make the finals like she did at a world cup earlier this year in the air pistol event.

I figure there will be pressure to return the quota that would allow a Brazilian pair to compete.

I wonder what is going to happen for the canoe/kayak sprint qualifications. I know there is limits on how many Canada can qualify in the canoe categories. I would think that K1 1000m and K2 200m is a strong chance.

Edited by Faster

Selection Approval Panel selects Jay Lyon, Patrick Bunster, Crispin Duenas, Hamilton Nguyen To attend Olympic Qualifying event Individual Qualifying Tournament (FTQT and FIQT): Antalya 2016 Archery World Cup stage 3 (TUR), 13-19 June 2016

Not sure I agree with this. Two archers (none of the listed above) finished with scores better at the most recent world cup.